Clasico postponed as RFEF tells Barcelona, Real Madrid to decide new date

By Sports Desk October 18, 2019

The first Clasico of the season between Barcelona and Real Madrid, originally scheduled for October 26, has been postponed amid political unrest in Catalonia, the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has confirmed.

Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent unilateral declaration of independence.

A rally in Barcelona has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca were due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

RFEF's Competition Committee assessed the situation in a meeting on Thursday and resolved to delay LaLiga's showpiece fixture.

The clubs have now been given until the 10:00am local time on Monday, October 21 to come to a consensus on a suitable date for the match to be held.

RFEF will assume responsibility for rescheduling the fixture if an agreement is not reached before the deadline.

Omnisport understands LaLiga had proposed the possibility of moving the game to Madrid's home stadium, the Santiago Bernabeu, but the committee ruled a reversal of the fixture order was prohibited by competition regulations.

Speaking before the announcement of the postponement, RFEF president Luis Rubiales said the Spanish government had not attempted to intervene in the decision-making process.

"Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide," Rubiales said.

"So, the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one thing or another."

 

 

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Dybala to become Juventus' second highest paid player behind Ronaldo Rumour Has It: Dybala to become Juventus' second highest paid player behind Ronaldo

    Paulo Dybala is set to become Juventus' second highest paid player, while Paris Saint-Germain are reportedly targeting Marcus Rashford.

    Dybala was linked with a move away from the Serie A club last year, but ended up staying and is enjoying a fine season in Turin.

    Now, the Argentina international is set to be rewarded.

     

    TOP STORY – DYBALA TO BECOME JUVE'S SECOND HIGHEST PAID PLAYER

    Coming out of contract in 2022, Dybala is close to extending his contract at Juventus until 2025, according to Tuttosport.

    The playmaker will become Juve's second highest paid player behind only star forward Cristiano Ronaldo.

    Dybala has scored 17 goals and provided eight assists in 41 games in all competitions this season.

    ROUND-UP

    - Paris Saint-Germain are eyeing a Manchester United forward. The Independent reports PSG have made Rashford their top transfer target.

    - Staying in Paris and talk about Neymar's future continues. Mundo Deportivo says Neymar still wants a return to Barcelona, who are reportedly set to raise funds by selling numerous players. Sport says they are prepared to sell Samuel Umtiti amid interest from Lazio, Napoli, Roma and Torino.

    - Jan Vertonghen is coming out of contract at Tottenham and appears set to leave the club. The Telegraph reports the defender has emerged as a target for Manchester City.

    - Milan goalkeeper Gianluigi Donnarumma's contract expires in 2021. CalcioMercato reports renewing the shot-stopper's deal is becoming a priority for Milan, who are set to extend his contract until 2023.

    - Former Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic, 34, is a free agent after leaving Qatari club Al-Duhail. According to CalcioMercato, Inter are yet to make a strong move for the Croatian amid reported interest.

    - As they look to raise funds, Manchester United are open to selling six players. The Telegraph reports Alexis Sanchez, Chris Smalling, Marcos Rojo, Phil Jones, Jesse Lingard and Diogo Dalot are considered dispensable.

  • Barcelona must be self-critical after letting LaLiga slip – Suarez Barcelona must be self-critical after letting LaLiga slip – Suarez

    Luis Suarez insisted Barcelona only had themselves to blame for letting LaLiga slip away, saying winning the title was now impossible.

    With two league games remaining, Barca are four points adrift of rivals and leaders Real Madrid.

    Quique Setien's men looked on track for the title but have dropped points in three of their past seven matches.

    Suarez said Barcelona needed to take responsibility for letting the league slip, admitting it was impossible to win – even with Madrid yet to officially seal the crown.

    "In the league you have to be self-critical – we let it escape ourselves," he told Mundo Deportivo.

    "We are aware that we depended on ourselves and do not find any excuse. Now, for our pride and for the prestige of Barca, we have to win the remaining two games and then focus fully on the only title we can fight, which is the Champions League.

    "If we perform at the level of why we are at this club, we can fight anyone. A failure in a match can be expensive, so we have to be very vigilant and we need everyone to be able to get the Champions League."

    Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu and defender Gerard Pique have been among those to question the use of the VAR after several decisions went Real Madrid's way in recent matches.

    However, Suarez refused to use that as an excuse for his side, instead lamenting the draws against Sevilla, Celta Vigo and Atletico Madrid.

    "It is clear that if we had been up to the task in games like against Sevilla, which is a rival that can tie you, but especially in Vigo, which was a very hard blow and Atletico Madrid right after," the forward said.

    "Minimising the details of the VAR is sometimes difficult. Yes, Gerard and the president made their demonstrations public, but I think that the rivals were also fighting important things like Athletic [Bilbao], Getafe … and they were the ones affected.

    "This time, not only were we harmed, but I think we shouldn't look for so many excuses, but rather be self-critical and face reality."

  • Championship: Wigan score eight against feeble Hull, West Brom falter Championship: Wigan score eight against feeble Hull, West Brom falter

    Wigan Athletic humiliated Hull City 8-0 as the Championship relegation battle took an extraordinary twist - while West Brom might be wobbling near the top.

    Kieran Dowell hit a hat-trick for Wigan, who remarkably led Hull 7-0 at half-time. Wigan sit in mid-table but are fighting for survival in the second tier because of an administration penalty hanging over the club, and this result was a huge step towards safety.

    West Brom have looked on track for automatic promotion for weeks, but a slip in form from Slaven Bilic's men could see Brentford pip them at the post.

    Second-placed West Brom could only draw 0-0 at home against fourth-placed Fulham, meaning Brentford can close to within a point of the Baggies with two rounds of games remaining should they beat Preston North End on Wednesday.

    WONDER AT WIGAN

    Wigan were the talk of English football after their first-half seven-goal show.

    The only saving grace for Hull, and frustration for Wigan, was that no supporters were present to witness one of the most eye-catching results in English football all season.

    Wigan savagely picked apart the free-falling Tigers and climbed to 13th place in the division.

    They became the first team to score seven or more goals in one half of a match in either the Premier League or the three tiers of the EFL since Watford came from 2-0 down to beat Blackpool 7-2 with a second-half flurry in January 2015.

    Aside from Dowell's treble, Kieffer Moore netted twice and there were goals for Kal Naismith, who set the ball rolling in the first minute, Jamal Lowe and Joe Williams.

    Wigan stand to receive a 12-point punishment for entering administration, a troubling development that followed a recent takeover of the club, but they are fighting to avoid that meaning relegation.

    The win neatly moved them 12 points clear of Hull, who sit 22nd and are a point adrift of safety, with the Tigers having a suddenly vastly inferior goal difference to Wigan.

    BAGGIES BLOWING IT?

    West Brom and Leeds have been trading first place in the Championship, but there could be a surprise in the promotion shake-up.

    By failing to find a way through Fulham's defence, West Brom's hold on second place has become increasingly tenuous, given fast-finishing Brentford are on a seven-game winning streak.

    Fulham's Anthony Knockaert hit the bar in the second half at the Hawthorns, where the outcome could have been even worse for West Brom.

    Cardiff City kept a grip on sixth place as goals from Junior Hoilett and Lee Tomlin earned a 2-1 home win over Derby County.

    Just outside the play-offs, Millwall sit seventh after a 1-0 home win over Blackburn Rovers, Mason Bennett with the only goal.

    WARNOCK DELIVERS

    Ashley Fletcher and Patrick Roberts scored for Middlesbrough in a 2-1 win at Reading that carried Neil Warnock's side five points clear of the bottom three.

    Liam Moore had put the hosts ahead before Boro, who appointed veteran manager Warnock as Jonathan Woodgate's replacement last month, turned it around.

    Among those worse off than Boro, Huddersfield Town picked up a useful point in a 0-0 draw at Sheffield Wednesday, while second-bottom Luton Town were held 1-1 at home by QPR.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.