Vidal sees room for improvement after Chile win

By Sports Desk October 15, 2019

Arturo Vidal was in no mood to paper over the cracks after Chile secured a 3-2 friendly victory over Guinea. 

The Barcelona midfielder scored from the spot as Chile came from behind to triumph at Estadio Jose Rico Perez in Spain on Tuesday.

It was Chile's first win in normal time since June, but the performance left a lot to be desired and Vidal conceded there was plenty of room for improvement. 

"The important thing was that we won," he said, with Reinaldo Rueda's side having been held to goalless draw by Colombia at the weekend. "We scored three goals and that has not happened for a long time. 

"The desire and work are there, we have to wait a little longer and keep improving, we can give more. If we give everything in each game, we can reach our goals.

"We gave them the first chance and they scored with it. We had to go looking and we managed to score three goals. We have to improve, clearly.

"There are very few players left from the last 10 years, there are new players that need to be supported. In the future this team can achieve a lot."

Jean Meneses and Felipe Mora were both on target, opening their accounts at international level. 

Related items

  • Koulibaly tipped to stay at Napoli as nervous Gattuso waits for transfer window to close Koulibaly tipped to stay at Napoli as nervous Gattuso waits for transfer window to close

    Napoli director Cristiano Giuntoli believes star defender Kalidou Koulibaly will remain at the Serie A club, despite links to Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

    Koulibaly had been strongly linked with Premier League giants City but Pep Guardiola's side agreed a deal to sign Benfica centre-back Ruben Dias on Sunday.

    Ligue 1 champions PSG are also reportedly interested following Thiago Silva's departure, while the likes of Manchester United and Liverpool have been linked previously.

    Asked about Koulibaly prior to Sunday's 6-0 demolition of Genoa, Giuntoli told Sky Sport Italia: "The team was completed in January with Stanislav Lobotka and Diego Demme, who can play in a few different roles. With Amir Rrahmani, [Victor] Osimhen and [Andrea] Petagna, we are complete, so will now try to release players who won't have much time on the pitch.

    "I think Koulibaly is staying, we are very happy and so is he. I believe that he is staying."

    Koulibaly helped keep a clean sheet as high-flying Napoli preserved their perfect start to the season against Genoa.

    Napoli are yet to concede in two Serie A fixtures this season, while scoring eight goals to top the standings.

    Gennaro Gattuso was also quizzed on Koulibaly following Giuntoli's comments and the Napoli head coach told Sky Sport Italia post-match: "I hope he remains with us, selfishly speaking, because he gives us so much both in technical terms and as a character.

    "The world has changed because of the pandemic and I realise all clubs need to balance the books. I hope the call won't arrive, but I'll be nervous about it until transfer deadline day."

    Senegal international Koulibaly has called Napoli home since arriving from Genk in 2014.

    The 29-year-old was instrumental as Napoli claimed the Coppa Italia title last season – the club's first piece of silverware since 2014.

  • Juventus are still 'under construction', says Pirlo after Roma draw Juventus are still 'under construction', says Pirlo after Roma draw

    Andrea Pirlo says he is not concerned by Juventus' lacklustre performance in their 2-2 draw with Roma on Sunday, insisting they are a team still "under construction". 

    The Serie A champions were far from their best in the capital and found themselves 2-1 down at half-time, Jordan Veretout scoring either side of a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty. 

    Juve midfielder Adrien Rabiot was dismissed shortly after the hour mark but Ronaldo salvaged a point for the Bianconeri with a towering header soon after. 

    Pirlo, who replaced the sacked Maurizio Sarri last month, pointed to a lack of match fitness as the reason for his side's sluggish performance and expects them to get significantly better as the season progresses. 

    "Roma attacked with many players like us so it was a different game than Sampdoria [who they 3-0 last weekend]," he said. 

    "This was a step backwards but we are a team under construction. We didn't have time to try any solutions in pre-season so these games are tests.

    "But, in the end, it was a point earned. [Alvaro] Morata only arrived two days ago, Arthur has not played for six months and has to adapt to Italian football. [Rodrigo] Bentancur is also starting to feel a bit better. The condition of these important players needs to grow a bit."

    Juve beat Inter to the title by just one point last season, with Antonio Conte's side responding by bringing in Achraf Hakimi, Arturo Vidal and Aleksandar Kolarov.

    Asked if Inter's squad is now stronger than his own, Pirlo said: "I don't know if it is better than ours, but it is certainly stronger than last season as they brought in players of quality. I think it'll be a battle to the very end."

    Roma boss Paulo Fonseca, meanwhile, was frustrated with his side's inability to kill off the game when they were 2-1 up, with reported Juve target Edin Dzeko guilty of a particularly glaring miss. 

    "I think we had a good game, but I am not satisfied with the result," he said. "We created chances and played to win the match.

    "I saw Dzeko focused, motivated and he worked hard for the team. There were errors in front of goal, as everyone did, but he played well this evening.

    "I felt the team was always comfortable, we didn't allow Juve any real chances and were solid defensively."

  • Ronaldo predicts 'bright future' for Juventus under Pirlo after denying Roma Ronaldo predicts 'bright future' for Juventus under Pirlo after denying Roma

    Cristiano Ronaldo has predicted a "bright future" for Juventus after his double salvaged a 2-2 draw for the Seria A champions against Roma on Sunday. 

    The Bianconeri were far from their best at Stadio Olimpico and went in at the break 2-1 down, Jordan Veretout netting a brace either side of a Ronaldo spot-kick. 

    Juve's chances of clawing their way back into the game suffered a blow when Adrien Rabiot was dismissed for a second bookable offence after 62 minutes, but Ronaldo secured a point with a towering header seven minutes later. 

    Despite Roma dominating for long periods, Ronaldo was pleased to leave the capital with a point and believes the Bianconceri are in for another successful season. 

    "I think it is a point earned," he told Sky Sport Italia. "It had become a complicated situation but we got back into it, even after the red card, so by the end of the campaign this could prove to be an important point.

    "We're at the start of the season, there's a new coach, new ideas, but I see the team working well. We're enthusiastic and I see a bright future for us.

    "What we're seeing is that the team is happy to work with a smile."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.