EPL

Man United left squad short - Robson

By Sports Desk October 11, 2019

Manchester United left Ole Gunnar Solskjaer's squad short due to the club's dealings in the transfer market, says Bryan Robson.

Defeat away to Newcastle United last time out left the Red Devils 12th in the Premier League table, two points above the relegation zone.

Solskjaer has overseen a poor run of form since his March appointment on a permanent basis, a period in which United have taken 17 points from 16 league games.

His squad was bolstered by Harry Maguire, Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka, but senior players including Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Ander Herrera and Chris Smalling have departed.

Robson, who captained the club and won two Premier League titles with United, feels the transfer business was inadequate but, asked if United should stick with Solskjaer, he said: "Yes, I do.

"Because everyone went with the policy that they want to encourage the young boys coming through the ranks. That's exactly what United have done.

"I think they've maybe allowed too many good, experienced players to leave the club without replacing them. That's why it's left them a little bit short."

United have particularly struggled for goals since a 4-0 home win against Chelsea on the opening weekend of the Premier League season.

England striker Marcus Rashford netted twice in that victory but he has only scored once for club and country since, a run that has seemingly hit his confidence.

Robson, speaking at a Football Writers' Association dinner sponsored by William Hill, feels there are aspects of his game where the 21-year-old must develop.

"I think he has still got a little bit of knowledge to know about being a centre-forward," Robson added. "I think it's a natural game for him coming off the left side but the right side as well.

"But I think going through the middle of the park, I think Marcus needs to know the game that little bit better where it's not always about running through, it's about build up play and bringing midfield players into the game.

"That's where Marcus can maybe improve his game a little bit."

Related items

  • Tonali not daunted by €300m price tag amid growing interest Tonali not daunted by €300m price tag amid growing interest

    Sandro Tonali insisted he is "not scared" about his €300million valuation as Europe's elite eye the Brescia and Italy sensation.

    Brescia owner and president Massimo Cellino said it would take an offer of €300m for the Serie A side to part with prized asset Tonali.

    Tonali – who broke into Brescia's first team at the age of 17 – has been linked to Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, Atletico Madrid, Inter and Manchester United.

    Asked about the price tag ahead of Italy's Euro 2020 qualifier against Bosnia-Herzegovina, the 19-year-old playmaker – who made his international debut last month – told Rai Sport: "I love President Cellino very much and he rates me highly.

    "He's a great person and I hope to travel down a good road with him.

    "After the match against Fiorentina, he said he wouldn't even sell me for €300m, but that doesn't scare me, even if it really is a lot of money.

    "I'm confident about what we'll do this season. For now I'm not thinking about the market, I just want to help Brescia stay up."

    Tonali came off the bench to make his Italy bow in the country's 5-0 rout of Liechtenstein in Euro 2020 qualifying on October 15.

    The Brescia star has been compared to Andrea Pirlo, Gennaro Gattuso and Daniele De Rossi – who now plays for Boca Juniors.

    On those comparisons, Tonali added: "Being compared to Pirlo doesn't bother me, but I think we're very different because he had indescribable technique and quality.

    "I consider myself to be like Gattuso but more technical. He's always been my role model."

  • Barcelona job a possibility, says Netherlands coach Koeman Barcelona job a possibility, says Netherlands coach Koeman

    Ronald Koeman claims there is a "possibility" he could become Barcelona's next coach, but not before presiding over Netherlands' Euro 2020 campaign should they qualify.

    The 56-year-old spent six years at Barca as a player before later having a spell as Louis van Gaal's assistant from 1998 to 2000 and he has been strongly linked with a return since overseeing an impressive improvement of the Netherlands national team.

    Koeman took over the Oranje last year after they had missed out on a spot at the 2018 World Cup, but he has since transformed them into a force, leading the team to the Nations League final and on course to qualify for Euro 2020.

    It was recently confirmed Koeman has a clause in his contract that would allow him to leave Netherlands for Camp Nou if the situation arose after the Euros, and with Ernesto Valverde under increasing pressure it looks likely a change could be made in the next year.

    Koeman insists he would not turn his back on Netherlands before Euro 2020, however.

    "Joining [Barcelona] is a possibility," Koeman told reporters. "But only after Euro 2020.

    "I don't know if I'll keep [speaking about the Barca job] in the future because it's a bit strange to speak about the possibility of going to the club while you're the Netherlands coach.

    "There is no other side I would leave Netherlands for except for Barcelona."

    Netherlands have two Euro 2020 qualifiers remaining against Northern Ireland and Estonia. They head into the double-header level on 15 points with Germany in Group C, but ahead of them by virtue of a better head-to-head record.

  • I came, I saw, I conquered, now go back to baseball – Ibrahimovic confirms LA Galaxy exit I came, I saw, I conquered, now go back to baseball – Ibrahimovic confirms LA Galaxy exit

    Zlatan Ibrahimovic's LA Galaxy departure appears imminent after he made a typically grandiose statement on Wednesday, telling MLS fans they can 'go back to watching baseball' now that he will be leaving. 

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.