Pioli replaces Giampaolo at AC Milan

By Sports Desk October 09, 2019

Stefano Pioli has been appointed as the new head coach of AC Milan, replacing the sacked Marco Giampaolo.

The Rossoneri severed ties with Giampaolo on Tuesday after just seven competitive games in charge, despite a thrilling 2-1 victory over Genoa on Saturday.

Milan confirmed Pioli's appointment in a statement on their official website on Wednesday.

"AC Milan announces the appointment with immediate effect of Mr Stefano Pioli as the new coach of the first team," the statement said.

Milan said 53-year-old Pioli has signed a two-year contract with them.

Former Inter boss Pioli had been out of working since resigning as head coach of Fiorentina in April.

Pioli spent barely six months in charge of Inter, joining in November 2016 and losing his job in May 2017, while he has also had a spell at Lazio.

Luciano Spalletti, sacked by Inter at the end of last term, had been linked, while Gennaro Gattuso was tipped with a swift return and Milan great Andriy Shevchenko was thought to have been under consideration.

Pioli's first aim will be to breathe life into a faltering Milan side, who are 10 points behind leaders Juventus after just seven matches and sit 13th in Serie A.

Gattuso led Milan to their highest placing since the 2012-13 campaign, but a failure to gain Champions League football and question marks over the team's style of play saw him replaced at the end of last season by Giampaolo, who spent three years at Sampdoria before taking the Milan job.

Related items

  • Reggae Boyz lacked effort in lacklustre draw against Guyana Reggae Boyz lacked effort in lacklustre draw against Guyana

    The management team of the Reggae Boyz have expressed disappointment at the performance against Guyana at the Montego Bay Sports Complex on Monday night.

  • RFEF not guilty of mishandling Luis Enrique return, insists Rubiales RFEF not guilty of mishandling Luis Enrique return, insists Rubiales

    Luis Rubiales does not believe the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) is guilty of mis-handling Luis Enrique's return to the role of Spain coach, despite Robert Moreno reportedly being upset at how the situation has been managed.

    Rubiales confirmed on Tuesday that Luis Enrique will return as coach and lead Spain at Euro 2020.

    The former Barcelona coach began a leave of absence in March and officially resigned in June as his young daughter, Xana, battled bone cancer. She died in August.

    Moreno took over and won each of his three matches while overseeing the team in a caretaker capacity and recorded a further four wins and two draws after assuming the position on a permanent basis.

    He will reportedly not return to his previous role as Luis Enrique's assistant and is said to have left the Wanda Metropolitano in tears after Monday's emphatic 5-0 victory over Romania.

    Rubiales, however, is adamant no blame should be laid at the feet of the RFEF.

    "It was clear that in the moment that Luis Enrique felt strong to return, the door was always open for him," Rubiales told a media conference. "I have always said that, and have always been honest, nobody can feel tricked.

    "We want to thank Robert Moreno for his work, he did very well, and we are very happy with what he did. But Robert Moreno told us he'd spoken with Luis Enrique, who had told him he wanted to return. We found out through Moreno that Luis Enrique wanted to return.

    "We knew Luis Enrique wanted to return but [sporting director Jose Francisco] Molina and I decided not to say anything until after the qualification phase was done.

    "On Sunday, Molina spoke with Robert Moreno, and Robert Moreno said he wanted to know now what is going to happen. Molina told him to wait, but if Luis Enrique wants to return to his job we will consider it.

    "On Monday, we received a message from Robert Moreno, who said he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning.

    "The first person who knew that Luis Enrique wanted to return, even before us at the federation, was Robert Moreno.

    "We have always acted with respect and transparency. And we have kept our word. The federation has acted coherently with everyone. We are loyal to Luis Enrique and the person who occupied his job.

    "Luis Enrique stepped down for the worst possible thing that can happen in a family. He has always been the leader of our project and has a contract until the [2022] World Cup in Qatar.

    "We had a meeting set up with Robert Moreno at 10:00 (9:00 GMT) this morning. But he did not come, just two lawyers. If he decided not to talk to the press yesterday [following the Romania game], we must respect that.

    "I believe we have acted - on all levels, with humility - I cannot find any mistake. If there was one I would apologise, but we have been very honest."

  • Bonucci renews with Juve Bonucci renews with Juve

    Leonardo Bonucci has signed a contract extension with Juventus running until June 2024, the Serie A champions have confirmed.

    Italy centre-back Bonucci is in his second spell at Juve, having stunned the football world with a €42million switch to AC Milan in 2017.

    However, the 32-year-old was back in Turin for the start of the following campaign and he has now committed for the next four-and-a-half seasons.

    Initially signed from Bari in 2010, Bonucci has made 376 appearances and scored 17 times for the Bianconeri.

    He has proved a pivotal figure under Maurizio Sarri, who was installed as Juventus head coach before the start of the 2019-20 season.

    Bonucci is an ever-present in Serie A and the Champions League this term, while also featuring for the national team throughout their unblemished qualification campaign for Euro 2020.

    Monday's 9-1 thrashing of Armenia was Bonucci's 95th cap for Italy.

    Juve are also reported to be closing in on contract renewals for goalkeeper Wojciech Szczesny and winger Juan Cuadrado.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.