EPL

It blows you away! - NFL players and coaches in awe of Tottenham's stadium

By Sports Desk October 07, 2019

The first NFL game to be staged at Tottenham's new stadium got the seal of approval from those involved in the Oakland Raiders' win over the Chicago Bears.

A crowd of 60,463 witnessed Oakland, the designated home team, survive a Bears comeback in London to clinch a thrilling 24-21 victory that left both teams at 3-2 heading into their Week 6 byes.

It was the 25th regular-season game to take place in London and the first at Premier League side Spurs' home, which was custom built with a retractable pitch and bespoke locker rooms for the NFL.

Despite seeing his team beaten, Bears head coach Matt Nagy was effusive in his praise of the stadium, which cost a reported £850million.

"[It is] beautiful, absolutely gorgeous," he said at a post-game news conference.

"You walk in here and you just see it, it's state of the art, it's top notch.

"You talk about doing things the right way - I mean, it blows you away.

"It's phenomenal, absolutely phenomenal."

The Raiders played two previous games at Wembley in 2014 and 2018, losing both times, and their players are likely to have fonder memories of Spurs' abode.

Quarterback Derek Carr revealed the team had been mightily impressed by a trip to the stadium earlier in the week to watch Spurs' 7-2 Champions League loss to Bayern Munich.

"It is first class," Carr added.

"We had the opportunity to sit up in the chairman's box for the soccer match.

"Everything was just so first class, every little detail, and every single room you go in is unbelievable.

"This is definitely if not the, one of the best stadiums I've ever been in my life."

The grass pitch at Wembley has caused issues for NFL players when it rains heavily, and the surface was barren in areas last October when the Philadelphia Eagles beat the Jacksonville Jaguars a day before Manchester City faced Spurs at Tottenham's temporary home.

Oakland's offensive tackle Kolton Miller, who played at Wembley in 2018, was far happier with the artificial pitch Sunday's game took place on, even if the crowd was largely made up of Bears fans at a Raiders 'home' game.

"I liked the turf field - you could really get your footing," he told Omnisport.

"The crowd, I thought was going to be more Raiders fans, but I think it felt more like an away game with the noise. But we didn't let that affect us."

Related items

  • Reggae Boyz lacked effort in lacklustre draw against Guyana Reggae Boyz lacked effort in lacklustre draw against Guyana

    The management team of the Reggae Boyz have expressed disappointment at the performance against Guyana at the Montego Bay Sports Complex on Monday night.

  • Gronkowski hints at NFL comeback - but will not return in 2019 Gronkowski hints at NFL comeback - but will not return in 2019

    Rob Gronkowski admits a playing comeback is "always an option" but has no plans to come out of retirement for the 2019 NFL season.

    A three-time Super Bowl champion during his stellar career - one spent entirely with the New England Patriots - Gronkowski triggered speculation he could be set to return when he scheduled an announcement for Tuesday.

    The 30-year-old will not be seen on a football field this season, though, instead revealing via social media that he will be hosting a major Super Bowl party in South Florida.

    "I'm bringing the FIESTA to Miami with GRONK BEACH BIG GAME WEEKEND," he tweeted, along with a video where he explains further details of the event.

    However, the clip included a line from Gronkowski that suggested he may not be done with playing just yet, as – dressed in pads and holding a helmet – he said: "Okay, maybe we call an audible – but just for this year..."

    A second-round pick by the Pats in 2010, the tight end revealed to ESPN that he continues to stay in shape, just in case he wants to get back on the field at some stage in the future.

    "I'm 30 years old. I'm young. I still stay fit, still watch the game whenever I can, still enjoy it. I'm feeling good, but you know, one year off could possibly be the case. Or maybe two years off, man," he said.

    "It's always an option in the back of my head. It's not like I'm not staying in shape and not doing anything. I'm never stressed over it."

    Gronkowski retired in March after helping New England win Super Bowl LIII. He posted 521 receptions and had 79 touchdowns in his nine seasons with the franchise.

    The Pats have not struggled in his absence this term, improving their record to 9-1 with a hard-fought 17-10 victory over the Philadelphia Eagles in Week 11.

  • RFEF not guilty of mishandling Luis Enrique return, insists Rubiales RFEF not guilty of mishandling Luis Enrique return, insists Rubiales

    Luis Rubiales does not believe the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) is guilty of mis-handling Luis Enrique's return to the role of Spain coach, despite Robert Moreno reportedly being upset at how the situation has been managed.

    Rubiales confirmed on Tuesday that Luis Enrique will return as coach and lead Spain at Euro 2020.

    The former Barcelona coach began a leave of absence in March and officially resigned in June as his young daughter, Xana, battled bone cancer. She died in August.

    Moreno took over and won each of his three matches while overseeing the team in a caretaker capacity and recorded a further four wins and two draws after assuming the position on a permanent basis.

    He will reportedly not return to his previous role as Luis Enrique's assistant and is said to have left the Wanda Metropolitano in tears after Monday's emphatic 5-0 victory over Romania.

    Rubiales, however, is adamant no blame should be laid at the feet of the RFEF.

    "It was clear that in the moment that Luis Enrique felt strong to return, the door was always open for him," Rubiales told a media conference. "I have always said that, and have always been honest, nobody can feel tricked.

    "We want to thank Robert Moreno for his work, he did very well, and we are very happy with what he did. But Robert Moreno told us he'd spoken with Luis Enrique, who had told him he wanted to return. We found out through Moreno that Luis Enrique wanted to return.

    "We knew Luis Enrique wanted to return but [sporting director Jose Francisco] Molina and I decided not to say anything until after the qualification phase was done.

    "On Sunday, Molina spoke with Robert Moreno, and Robert Moreno said he wanted to know now what is going to happen. Molina told him to wait, but if Luis Enrique wants to return to his job we will consider it.

    "On Monday, we received a message from Robert Moreno, who said he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning.

    "The first person who knew that Luis Enrique wanted to return, even before us at the federation, was Robert Moreno.

    "We have always acted with respect and transparency. And we have kept our word. The federation has acted coherently with everyone. We are loyal to Luis Enrique and the person who occupied his job.

    "Luis Enrique stepped down for the worst possible thing that can happen in a family. He has always been the leader of our project and has a contract until the [2022] World Cup in Qatar.

    "We had a meeting set up with Robert Moreno at 10:00 (9:00 GMT) this morning. But he did not come, just two lawyers. If he decided not to talk to the press yesterday [following the Romania game], we must respect that.

    "I believe we have acted - on all levels, with humility - I cannot find any mistake. If there was one I would apologise, but we have been very honest."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.