EPL

Lampard endorses understated Chelsea defender Tomori following maiden England call-up

By Sports Desk October 05, 2019

Frank Lampard praised Fikayo Tomori's quiet professionalism after the Chelsea defender won his first senior England call-up.

Gareth Southgate named the uncapped 21-year-old centre-back in his squad to face the Czech Republic and Bulgaria in a pair of Euro 2020 qualifiers.

The selection continues an excellent start to the season for Tomori, who has made six starts in all competitions for Chelsea after earning Lampard's trust during a season-long loan stint at Derby County last term.

More fanfare has surrounded Mason Mount and Tammy Abraham's development at Stamford Bridge but the Blues boss highlighted Tomori, another of the club's academy products, as the model young professional.

"The progression was huge but the main thing I saw in him was work ethic," Lampard said of his season with Tomori at Pride Park.

"He quietly goes about his business. Everything you ask him to do he tries to do and more. Physically he is great.

"But he is one of those when you are doing sprinting or some heavy running early season, which we were doing, you could see every day he is nailed on.

"When you want to do a particular training session, something quite simple but takes focus, he is ready to go. That has really shown itself in his performances since he stepped into the team.

"I put trust in him early in the season – I think that was obvious with the way the pre-season went with the centre-backs.

"At the moment he has really delivered and long may that continue."

Tomori and Chelsea visit Southampton on Sunday in their final Premier League fixture before the international break.

Related items

  • Moreno: Ask Luis Enrique about what happened with Spain Moreno: Ask Luis Enrique about what happened with Spain

    Robert Moreno says Luis Enrique is the person who should be asked about the nature of his return to the Spain job.

    Former Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique has been reappointed as national team boss after taking a leave of absence while his daughter Xana, who passed away in August, battled bone cancer.

    Moreno took charge of nine matches, helping Spain qualify for Euro 2020 before it was confirmed that Luis Enrique would be returning.

    News of the change came as something of a surprise and, despite Moreno previously insisting he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning, he reportedly left the Wanda Metropolitano in tears after learning he was no longer head coach shortly after Spain's 5-0 defeat of Romania.

    There are reports Luis Enrique then said he did not wish Moreno to stay on as his assistant, despite the pair having worked together at Celta Vigo, Roma and Barca before taking up office with Spain.

    However, when asked about those rumours, Moreno told reporters on Thursday: "I don't know, ask him!

    "I think the best thing for both parties is that it stays between us. If the other side speaks, let him speak.

    "I have nothing to say because I don't think it would be good for anyone. Firstly, the one it would not be good for is me, and it allows me at this moment to think about myself."

    Moreno had earlier released a statement in which he said he had "a clear conscience" but wanted to avoid "a spiral of reproaches and justifications for each of the parties".

    Despite criticism over the affair, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales defended his conduct on Wednesday.

    "It was clear that in the moment that Luis Enrique felt strong to return, the door was always open for him," Rubiales told a media conference. "I have always said that and have always been honest, nobody can feel tricked.

    "We want to thank Robert Moreno for his work, he did very well, and we are very happy with what he did. But Robert Moreno told us he'd spoken with Luis Enrique, who had told him he wanted to return. We found out through Moreno that Luis Enrique wanted to return.

    "We knew Luis Enrique wanted to return but [sporting director Jose Francisco] Molina and I decided not to say anything until after the qualification phase was done.

    "On Sunday, Molina spoke with Robert Moreno, and Robert Moreno said he wanted to know now what is going to happen. Molina told him to wait, but if Luis Enrique wants to return to his job we will consider it.

    "On Monday, we received a message from Robert Moreno, who said he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning.

    "The first person who knew that Luis Enrique wanted to return, even before us at the federation, was Robert Moreno.

    "We have always acted with respect and transparency. And we have kept our word. The federation has acted coherently with everyone. We are loyal to Luis Enrique and the person who occupied his job."

  • Bielsa backs Pochettino to land top job after 'brilliant' Tottenham work Bielsa backs Pochettino to land top job after 'brilliant' Tottenham work

    Mauricio Pochettino will get the chance to take charge of one of the best teams in the world due to his efforts at Tottenham, Marcelo Bielsa says.

    Spurs sacked Pochettino this week after just five wins in 17 matches in all competitions this season and replaced him with former Chelsea, Real Madrid and Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho.

    The 47-year-old's departure came less than six months after he led Spurs to their first Champions League final, where they were beaten 2-0 by Liverpool.

    Bielsa, who coached Pochettino as a young player at Newell's Old Boys and has been credited with influencing his post-playing career, says reaching that final showed just how well the Spurs side had been constructed even in a season in which no players were signed.

    Bielsa now expects Pochettino to be given a chance by one of the world's top clubs.

    "I'm going to talk, not about the relationship I have with Pochettino, but for what I have observed in English football," the Leeds United boss said on Thursday.

    "The work Pochettino has done is brilliant. In the last year, he put Tottenham in a high level in the world. For any coach, it's a very important achievement. For Pochettino, I think it's even more important because the team that played in the Champions League last year was a team he built very carefully.

    "The performance of this team was more linked by collective play rather than top players being bought for them. They didn't buy big players to achieve this. This reality makes Pochettino's work even more important.

    "People who work professionally like that earn absolutely deserved credit. Maybe he couldn't enjoy this credit at Tottenham. But he will take this credit and big teams in the world will look to capitalise on it.

    "For sure, he is a manager who will lead one of the best teams in the world. He made Tottenham one of the most important teams in the world.

    "I have a lot of affection and respect for Mauricio. When something that is not good happens to him, I can't ignore it. If we look at the close effect of the situation, we can be sad. I feel sad.

    "But in 15 days, he'll be at the top again, because when you see things from a distance, without looking at recent facts, then you can realise what you've really achieved.

    "Now, he leaves a team that is attractive to Mourinho – that has a lot of value. The next team who take him will express again the respect Pochettino has created."

  • Rashford insists Solskjaer is perfect for Man United despite Pochettino talk Rashford insists Solskjaer is perfect for Man United despite Pochettino talk

    Manchester United striker Marcus Rashford insists there is no better manager for the club than Ole Gunnar Solskjaer despite suggestions they could be interested in Mauricio Pochettino.

    Tottenham sacked Pochettino this week and replaced him with former United boss Jose Mourinho, with Spurs having won only four of their past 18 matches in all competitions.

    There has been talk that United could consider turning to Pochettino to take over from Solskjaer, whose side have only managed two more points than Spurs from their opening 12 Premier League games of the season.

    However, Rashford - who signed a new four-year contract in July – said Solskjaer's plans were part of the reason why he committed his future to the club.

    "There was no hesitation from me over signing a new contract," he told Sky Sports News.

    "And it was the same for Ole as well – I could see where his head was at, where he wanted the club to be at and for me it was just a no-brainer.

    "We were on the same page and wanted the same things for the club. Ole is a great guy and he has the club's interests at heart so there's not a better person for the job in my opinion."

    While he supports Solskjaer, Rashford admits he will not be happy if United end the season in the Premier League's top four but without winning a trophy.

    The Red Devils have not won meaningful silverware since claiming the EFL Cup and Europa League in Mourinho's first term in charge in 2016-17.

    With the Premier League title seemingly out of their reach already this season – leaders Liverpool are already 18 points ahead of United after 12 matches – Solskjaer's routes to success lie in the cup competitions.

    There is pressure on United to return to the Champions League after failing to qualify last season, but Rashford does not think 2019-20 can be considered a success unless they also win at least one of the EFL Cup, FA Cup or Europa League.

    "It's been a while," the England international added about United's barren run of titles. "If we come out of this season with top four but without a trophy, I wouldn't be happy.

    "If we manage to get some trophies and get ourselves into the top four then, of course, it has been a successful season.

    "For me, it is just about putting markers down for what we can do in the future because we know that this period is not going to change overnight, Ole's not going to get what he wants overnight.

    "We have to bide our time and just be patient, as long as we keep working hard and believe in what we are doing – which I think the team do 100 per cent – then I think we will be fine."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.