River boss Gallardo dismisses Boca protests after first-leg Libertadores win

By Sports Desk October 02, 2019

Marcelo Gallardo ridiculed Boca Juniors' complaints following River Plate's comfortable 2-0 win in the first leg of their Copa Libertadores semi-final tie at El Monumental.

The reigning South American champions took a big step towards defending the trophy thanks to Rafael Santos Borre's early penalty and a well-worked Ignacio Fernandez goal in the 70th minute.

Referee Raphael Claus consulted VAR to award the spot-kick for River's opener and technology also played a part in the stoppage-time red card shown to Nicolas Capaldo, who had initially been booked for a foul on Enzo Perez.

Boca striker Ramon Abila criticised the performance of the match officials, while coach Gustavo Alfaro accused the hosts of persistent diving.

"We know the River players are always throwing themselves and seeking penalties," Alfaro said.

But his counterpart Gallardo dismissed the protests, insisting the comments were designed to deflect from the quality of River's victory.

"Whoever wants to talk about the referee is hiding from what happened," he said.

"We won because we were superior."

Capaldo wasted a glorious chance for Boca before his dismissal but River otherwise spent long periods in control as they closed in on a date with either Gremio or Flamengo in the final.

"I think we saw a winning team," Gallardo added. "We are a team that takes on the risks of being the protagonists. Sometimes we are rewarded and sometimes not.

"River demands a lot from you and we feel comfortable with the demands. The key is not to relax, because what we give the River fans is a very nice feeling. The football world sees a River that plays well."

River beat bitter rivals Boca 5-3 on aggregate in last season's two-legged final, the second instalment of which had to be rearranged and moved to Madrid following fan violence.

Related items

  • Lovren lifts leaders Liverpool as defender returns to training Lovren lifts leaders Liverpool as defender returns to training

    Dejan Lovren returned to training with Liverpool on Tuesday after six weeks on the sidelines and said he felt "happy to be back".

    The 30-year-old defender suffered a muscle injury in the final Champions League group game against Salzburg on December 10, with that blow compounding the loss of Joel Matip as manager Jurgen Klopp's resources were stretched.

    Matip was back in full training last week, though, after recovering from the knee problem he suffered in October, and now he and Lovren will be targeting a first-team return with the Premier League leaders.

    Lovren and Matip have played a part at the back for Liverpool during their so-far highly successful season, with the Reds' rearguard marshalled by Virgil van Dijk.

    Joe Gomez has started at centre-back alongside Van Dijk in recent Premier League games, with Croatian Lovren and Cameroon international Matip facing a battle to earn favour from Klopp ahead of the England defender.

    Lovren posted a series of pictures on Instagram of himself in training on Tuesday, with the caption: "Happy to be back with the team."

    Liverpool face Wolves at Molineux on Thursday in their next league fixture.

  • Messi, Busquets and Pique rested for Ibiza trip Messi, Busquets and Pique rested for Ibiza trip

    Lionel Messi, Sergio Busquets and Gerard Pique have all been left out of Barcelona's trip to Ibiza in the Copa del Rey.

    The trio are being rested for the round-of-32 clash against the third-tier side.

    Luis Suarez and Ousmane Dembele remain unavailable due to injury, although the former has begun the next stage of his treatment process in Catalonia as he recovers from meniscus damage.

    Quique Setien has called up youngsters Carles Perez, Riqui Puig, Abel Ruiz and Chumi to the 18-man squad, alongside rising star Ansu Fati.

    Barca face a potentially difficult LaLiga trip to Valencia just three days after the Ibiza clash.

  • Wolves snap up Ecuadorian talent Campana as Mendes link pays off again Wolves snap up Ecuadorian talent Campana as Mendes link pays off again

    Wolves have completed the signing of highly rated Ecuadorian striker Leonardo Campana on a free transfer following his departure from Barcelona SC.

    The 19-year-old has signed a three-and-a-half-year contract and will link up with the club after CONMEBOL's Pre-Olympic Tournament, which is due to conclude early next month.

    Campana began to attract reported interest from bigger clubs outside of Ecuador after the 2019 South American Under-20 Championship early last year.

    Ecuador lifted the trophy for the first time, with Campana playing a key role in their success as he finished top scorer with six goals. He was also a part of the squad that finished third at the FIFA Under-20 World Cup a few months later.

    Campana's emergence with Barcelona and Ecuador's Under-20s led to his first senior cap in March 2019 and he has since gone on to collect another three.

    He linked up with Jorge Mendes, also the agent of Cristiano Ronaldo, in November and his Barcelona contract expired at the end of the following month.

    Campana will join a host of fellow Mendes clients at Wolves, with the so-called "super-agent" representing many of the Premier League side's players and coach Nuno Espirito Santo.

    In an Instagram post, Campana thanked Mendes for his efforts in securing the move, writing: "I'm very happy to be a part of this great team.

    "I want to start by thanking God, my family, my agents Jorge Mendes and Gonzalo Vargas for all the work they've done and Barcelona SC. I am ready for this new challenge – let's go."

    While Campana had already left Barcelona, the Guayaquil-based club will reportedly receive approximately £300,000 in compensation from Wolves.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.