EPL

'Leader' Jorginho has replaced Barkley as penalty taker, Lampard confirms

By Sports Desk September 28, 2019

Frank Lampard hailed Jorginho for his leadership qualities and confirmed the midfielder will replace Ross Barkley as Chelsea's first-choice penalty taker.

The Italy midfielder scored from the spot in Chelsea's 2-0 win over Brighton and Hove Albion on Saturday after Mason Mount was fouled by Adam Webster inside the box.

Jorginho was back on spot-kick duties a week and a half on from Barkley missing a crucial penalty in the 1-0 Champions League defeat to Valencia.

Lampard stood by Barkley following that miss but he was also overlooked on Wednesday as Pedro stepped up from 12 yards in the 7-1 win against Grimsby Town in the EFL Cup.

Asked if Jorginho is now top of the pecking order after his emphatic penalty against Brighton, Lampard told reporters: "Yes he is, end of story.

"I'm surprised about the obsession with penalty takers. Jorginho took it and he scored. He's a penalty taker."

Jorginho has now scored as many goals in nine appearances for Chelsea in all competitions this season as he did in 54 games in 2018-19, having also converted from the spot in August's UEFA Super Cup clash with Liverpool. 

The 27-year-old endured an indifferent first season at Stamford Bridge under Maurizio Sarri but has been a key player for Lampard, who reserved special praise for the ex-Napoli man.

"He is a leader in his personality and whatever happened last year I wasn't here and for whatever reason people will make judgements," Lampard said at his post-match news conference.

"All I can judge is what I see in front of me and from pre-season he has been one of the leaders clearly in the dressing room and on the pitch and he wants to win. 

"That should be the basis and is for everyone but to show it in everything you do is important and he does that so I'm pleased with him and the young players need to look up to that attitude he has daily."

Another of Chelsea's more experienced players was on target to seal the win, with 31-year-old Willian's deflected strike finding a way past the impressive Mat Ryan 14 minutes from time.

"The young players are playing because they deserve to so I don't really consider age but they will always need that experienced player around them," Lampard said.

"Jorginho with the coolness of head to score that penalty, Willian who not only created chances for himself and got his goal but his work ethic was fantastic today and those are the standards and some of those experienced players can set that standard and the youngsters must follow."

Victory for Chelsea was their first at home in the Premier League under Lampard at the fourth attempt and was also their first clean sheet of the campaign.

Lampard added: "The reason we haven't won at home is because we haven't put together a 90 minutes to win at home.

"Today we put in a good performance. It was solid, comfortable, professional, it lacked more goals because we created enough chances to score three, four or five goals but we got our clean sheet which is something we've been striving for, so it was a good day all round and good for confidence in the dressing room."

Related items

  • RFEF demands resignation of LaLiga chief Tebas after judge shelves Miami match RFEF demands resignation of LaLiga chief Tebas after judge shelves Miami match

    The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has demanded LaLiga president Javier Tebas resigns for putting clubs at risk of "serious sporting and/or economic sanctions" after a judge shelved the league's plan to host a match in Miami.

    LaLiga had intended for Villarreal's home match against Atletico Madrid on December 6 to be played in Florida, United States, but Madrid's Mercantile Court ruled on Friday that the league is not permitted to act of its own accord and its actions "must be agreed and coordinated with the institution that directs football in Spain".

    A final decision is expected in February to determine whether the RFEF can prevent LaLiga hosting matches in the United States.

    But in the meantime, the RFEF is calling for the dismissal – or resignation – of LaLiga chief Tebas for his conduct to the detriment of the Federation and putting clubs in a risky position.

    A statement from RFEF read: "The request to the member clubs of LaLiga to start a dialogue with the Federation is reiterated and the immediate dismissal of the president of LaLiga or his immediate resignation is requested.

    "The president of LaLiga, Mr. Javier Tebas, has filed all kinds of lawsuits (criminal, civil, commercial, administrative) and appeals against the RFEF, in what is considered an attempt to justify his own mistakes.

    "The leader of LaLiga considers that he can act outside the Federation, however, judges, administration, etc ... have found and communicated that this is not possible and that, without the authorization of the RFEF, he cannot organise the soccer competitions in Spain.

    "LaLiga is a competition manager that must adapt its performance to the rules of FIFA, UEFA and RFEF. This attitude that can be considered a total disregard from the president of LaLiga for the rules of FIFA, UEFA, as well as the RFEF, leading to an extremely serious situation and putting LaLiga clubs themselves at risk.

    "In the opinion of the RFEF, this attitude is 'absolutely hostile and irresponsible' against the institution that directs football in Spain and is causing damage to this sport and especially for clubs that are part of LaLiga. It must cease immediately."

    Villarreal and Atletico had agreed for the match to be moved to Miami, with the two parties and LaLiga submitting a joint request to RFEF on October 17, but in doing so, RFEF have told both clubs to expect "serious" sanctions from FIFA or UEFA.

    LaLiga struck a 15-year deal in 2018 with Relevent, the company behind the International Champions Cup, as it looked to take one match per season to the United States.

    But RFEF and the Spanish Footballers' Association (AFE) condemned the plan and in December Barcelona pulled out of a proposed match with Girona, initially scheduled for early 2019 in Miami.

    Friday's judgement comes just four days after RFEF finalised plans for the revamped Supercopa de Espana to take place in Saudi Arabia in each of the next three years, starting in February.

  • Gareth Bale gets 'more excitement playing for Wales' than Real Madrid Gareth Bale gets 'more excitement playing for Wales' than Real Madrid

    Gareth Bale has further risked the wrath of Real Madrid's notoriously vociferous support by acknowledging he gets more excitement playing for Wales than Los Blancos.

    Bale, 30, joined Madrid for a then world-record fee reported to be worth €100million in 2013 and enjoyed significant success at the club, winning every competition, including four Champions League titles.

    In the most recent of those Champions League successes in 2017-18, Bale scored a vital brace as Madrid beat Liverpool 3-1, but despite his haul of trophies at the club, fans never truly took to the winger, who has also had issues with coach Zinedine Zidane.

    He has received particular criticism for his inability to speak Spanish and a perceived commitment to golf ahead of Madrid, with the Spanish media often focusing on the latter.

    And Bale can expect further scorn from Madrid fans and the media after freely admitting on international duty that he unequivocally prefers playing for his country, who he is away with despite not playing at club level since suffering an injury in Wales' last get together.

    "I definitely have more excitement playing for Wales," Bale told reporters on Friday ahead of facing Azerbaijan.

    "I've been with most of the older players since we were in the Under-17s. It's like playing with your mates down the park on a Sunday. It's normal.

    "With Wales, I'm speaking my own language and feel more comfortable. But it doesn't change what I do on the pitch.

    "I always give 100 per cent on the pitch wherever I am, that's what I always strive to do."

    Despite the vilification he is often forced to put up with in Spain, Bale insists he takes it all in good humour because he believes many of those criticising have no idea what they are talking about.

    "I find it hilarious to be honest, especially some of the pictures and stuff my friends send me," Bale said.

    "On one it said triple bogey, and I have never had a triple bogey! At least give me an albatross! It's funny.

    "Some of the things I have seen… people don't understand and don't know what they're on about. So, I just find it quite funny."

    Bale accepts that it might look curious from Madrid's perspective that he is fit to feature for Wales again after a month out of action domestically, but he insists it is a coincedence.

    "I've done my rehab, four weeks training," he said. "Obviously there are two big games and I'm not sure if I'll play the two whole 90 minutes, but I'll do my best to play as much as I can. I fully understand the position I'm in.

    "I've done as much as I can in terms of trying to get back as quickly as I can. We've done 11v11 to try and get some match fitness in me.

    "If there had been a Real Madrid game this week, I would've been fit and training to play. Maybe to them it doesn't look great, but it's just a coincidence that the national team comes around this week.

    "Everyone knows how passionate I am about Wales. We always look to not just qualify for one, we want to qualify for multiple tournaments.

    "It's important not just for the here and now, but for the future of Welsh football. It will inspire kids again and hopefully make more kids play football and make our national team better for the future."

  • CAS deems Manchester City's UEFA appeal 'inadmissible' CAS deems Manchester City's UEFA appeal 'inadmissible'

    Manchester City's appeal against UEFA's investigation into alleged breaches of Financial Fair Play (FFP) regulations has been ruled "inadmissible" by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS).

    The Premier League champions lodged proceedings with CAS in June after UEFA's Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) referred their case to its adjudicatory chamber.

    The CFCB's investigatory chamber opened a probe into City in March following allegations the club broke rules relating to FFP, third-party ownership and youth player recruitment in articles by German publication Der Spiegel, which drew upon documents purportedly obtained by whistleblowers Football Leaks.

    When UEFA referred their case in May, City said in a statement: "The accusation of financial irregularities remains entirely false and the CFCB IC referral ignores a comprehensive body of irrefutable evidence provided by Manchester City FC." 

    In a media release on Thursday, CAS explained City's appeal was not admissible because UEFA has not reached a final decision in the case.

    The statement read: "The CAS Panel determined that MCFC’s appeal was inadmissible, considering that 'An appeal against the decision of a federation, association or sports-related body may be filed with CAS… if the Appellant has exhausted the legal remedies available to it prior to the appeal, in accordance with the statutes or regulations of that body.'(Article R47 of the CAS Rules).

    "In the present case, the decision rendered by the CFCB IC to refer a case to the CFCB AC is not final and can therefore not be appealed to CAS directly, because the AC is competent to take any of the decisions listed in Article 27 CFCB Procedural Rules, that are described as being final."

    City must now await a decision from the adjudicatory chamber, which could in theory extend to a Champions League ban. However, a report by The Athletic on Wednesday claimed UEFA will only issue the club with a fine and not suspend them from taking part in its competitions.

    In August, FIFA fined City CHF 370,000 (£314,725) for breaching rules in relation to signing youth players but did not impose a transfer ban.

    The Football Association found no evidence to support Der Spiegel's claim City made an illegal payment to the agent of their former winger Jadon Sancho and closed an investigation earlier this month, while the Premier League's own probe into the claims emanating from Football Leaks remains ongoing.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.