Giampaolo says AC Milan didn't deserve defeat as pressure grows

By Sports Desk September 26, 2019

Marco Giampaolo said AC Milan did not deserve to lose to Torino, describing the team's performance as their best of the Serie A season.

Milan crashed to back-to-back defeats after Andrea Belotti's quick-fire brace stunned the visitors and saw Torino triumph 2-1 on Thursday.

Beaten by Inter in the derby last week, Milan looked comfortable and on track to respond with victory in Turin thanks to Krzysztof Piatek's first-half penalty.

But Belotti sensationally turned the match on its head with two goals in four minutes to heap further pressure on Milan head coach Giampaolo, who has overseen three losses in five matches since replacing Gennaro Gattuso in the off-season.

Former Sampdoria boss Giampaolo, however, felt Milan deserved more from the match against Torino.

"The game was under our control, we just didn't have the clinical edge to kill it off. We ran barely any risks until that goal and then in four minutes, the whole match changed," Giampaolo told Sky Sport Italia.

"We had the opportunities to score again with Piatek and [Franck] Kessie, so we created the chances. There were errors, but it was Milan's best performance of the season so far and we dominated for long periods. Clearly, the defeat is not good enough.

"It disappoints me because the team works hard and does all it can, so when results don't come, that is disappointing. They are trying to work as a team and follow the plan rather than just go off individually.

"It was an undeserved defeat and clearly that slows down the growth process, our self-esteem, but I have seen that this is a good squad and I hope they don't lose heart.

"I have a solid group of good lads and I cannot complain. Even those who are most criticised are real leaders. There are moments when a player is in better shape. We knew Theo Hernandez and Ismael Bennacer had talent, this is not a surprise. I am convinced the squad can continue, despite this setback, to stay on the right track."

Torino recovered from a slow start to avoid three consecutive defeats and Belotti said: "At half-time, we looked each other in the eyes and something changed. We pulled out that anger and determination, because after two straight defeats, we really didn't want a third. That would've been annoying!"

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Neymar, Martinez or both? Barcelona's big decision Rumour Has It: Neymar, Martinez or both? Barcelona's big decision

    Neymar, Lautaro Martinez or both? Barcelona may have a decision to make this close season.

    Neymar has been linked with a return to Camp Nou, while the LaLiga giants are also reportedly interested in Inter star Martinez.

    Barcelona could be forced to choose between the two in the next transfer window.

     

    TOP STORY – NEYMAR, MARTINEZ OR BOTH? BARCELONA'S BIG DECISION

    Barcelona want both Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar and Inter's Martinez but know it will be difficult to land the duo, according to Sport.

    It reports landing Martinez is shaping to be easier as Inter are willing to accept players as part of a deal.

    Martinez has scored 16 goals in 31 games for Inter this season, while Neymar has netted 18 times in 22 appearances for PSG.

    ROUND-UP

    - Manchester United could be turning to an old target. ESPN reports the Premier League club are prepared to make a bid for Juventus defender Matthijs de Ligt if the Serie A giants are open to a sale this close season.

    - Harry Kane's future at Tottenham seemingly remains unclear. But The Daily Mail says Spurs are confident of keeping the forward, who said on Monday he would not stay at the club just "for the sake of it".

    - It looks like Jadon Sancho to Liverpool will not be happening. The Mirror claims the Premier League leaders are not targeting the Borussia Dortmund star, leaving United and Chelsea as the English clubs still in the chase.

    - Where will Philippe Coutinho end up next season? Sport reports Leicester City are interested in a loan deal for the playmaker, who is on loan at Bayern Munich from Barcelona. Staying at Camp Nou and Sport says Barcelona are considering a move for Layvin Kurzawa, who is out of contract at PSG at season's end, as a back-up to Jordi Alba.

    - Edinson Cavani is also out of contract at the end of the season at PSG, but CalcioMercato reports the Uruguayan striker will not be joining Atletico Madrid, the club he has been linked to.

    - With Alexis Sanchez set to return to Manchester United from his loan spell at Inter, The Sun reports the club will be forced to pay the attacker a £1.1million loyalty payment.

  • Godin likens Barca target Martinez to Suarez & Aguero Godin likens Barca target Martinez to Suarez & Aguero

    Diego Godin compared in-demand Inter team-mate Lautaro Martinez to Luis Suarez and Manchester City's Sergio Aguero amid links to Barcelona.

    Martinez has reportedly emerged as Barca's top transfer target, with the LaLiga champions keen to sign a long-term replacement for veteran forward Suarez.

    Barca's LaLiga rivals Madrid are also reportedly interested, while Premier League giants Manchester United and Manchester City have both been linked.

    Inter defender Godin heaped praise on 22-year-old Argentina international Martinez, who had scored 16 goals across all competitions before Serie A was postponed due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    "Lautaro is similar to Luis and Sergio Aguero," the Uruguayan centre-back told ESPN.

    "He's learning to play using his whole body, with his back to the ball. He's a football player.

    "His confidence has a high ceiling and he's maturing with every match. You can spot things in him that tell you he'll be around for 10 or 15 years."

    Martinez swapped Racing Club for Inter in 2018 and he has quickly established himself as one of the most sought-after forwards in European football.

    He has scored 25 goals in total since joining Inter from Racing Club in Argentina.

  • Independiente coach hopeful over Aguero return Independiente coach hopeful over Aguero return

    Independiente head coach Lucas Pusineri hopes Manchester City star Sergio Aguero one day returns to the club.

    Aguero came through the youth ranks at Independiente before joining Atletico Madrid in 2006 and moving to City five years later.

    His former Independiente team-mate, Pusineri, is now in charge of the Argentine club and wants Aguero – and Milan midfielder Lucas Biglia – to return.

    "With Sergio Aguero and Lucas Biglia I have a beautiful relationship," he told InfiernoRojo on Tuesday.

    "We were partners and I have a lot of respect for the trajectories they have taken with Argentina and in Europe as well."

    Pusineri added: "Of course it would be nice to have them tomorrow. In the future, it is hopeful to count on them."

    Aguero has said previously he wants to return to Independiente, although his contract at City runs until 2021.

    He scored 23 goals in 30 games before this season was stopped due to the coronavirus pandemic.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.