Rapinoe calls for 'beautiful game' to make a difference in powerful acceptance speech

By Sports Desk September 23, 2019

Megan Rapinoe called on her fellow professional footballers to make the most of a "unique" opportunity to "change this world forever" during her acceptance speech at The Best FIFA Awards.

After collecting the women's individual honour at the ceremony in Milan on Monday, Rapinoe used the platform to speak out about some of the notable issues in the modern game.

The United States international declared how she had been inspired by Raheem Sterling and Kalidou Koulibaly after the pair stood up to incidents of racism, as well as referencing other events that have highlighted the homophobia and inequalities that still exist within football.

Rapinoe finished by calling on those in attendance, as well as those watching on, to capitalise on the platform provided by the sport to make a difference for the future.

"Some of the stories that have inspired me the most this year: Raheem Sterling and Koulibaly, their incredible performances on the field but the way that they have taken on the disgusting racism that they have had to face this year, but probably throughout their whole lives," the 34-year-old said.

"The young Iranian woman who eventually set herself on fire because she was not able to go to the game, the one 'out' MLS player and the countless other 'out' LGBTQ female players who fight so hard not just to play the sport that they love but also to fight the rampant homophobia that we have.

"Those were all the stories that inspired me so much, but they also made me a little bit sad and a bit disappointed.

"I feel like that if we really want to have meaningful change, what I think is most inspiring is if everyone other than Raheem Sterling and Koulibaly, if they were so outraged about racism as they were.

"If everybody else was that outraged as the LGBTQ players, if everybody was outraged by the equal pay, or lack there of, or the lack of investment in the women's game, that would be the most inspiring thing to me.

"We have such an incredible opportunity being professional football players, so much success – financial and otherwise – we have incredible platforms. I ask everyone here to lend your platform to other people, lift them up and share your success.

"We have a unique opportunity in football, different to any other sport in the world, to use this beautiful game to change this world forever.

"I hope you take that to heart, do something, anything. We have incredible power in this room."

Rapinoe secured The Best award for the first time in her career, edging out fellow nominees Alex Morgan and Lucy Bronze after winning the Golden Boot and Golden Ball at the Women's World Cup in France.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Shevchenko sees similarities between pandemic and Chernobyl disaster Coronavirus: Shevchenko sees similarities between pandemic and Chernobyl disaster

    Former AC Milan and Chelsea forward Andriy Shevchenko believes the coronavirus pandemic is similar to the Chernobyl disaster.

    More than 30,800 people have died from coronavirus, with the number of cases worldwide exceeding 660,000.

    Shevchenko, who was a child at the time of the Chernobyl disaster in 1986 that reportedly killed 54 people and is said to have led to thousands of deaths, said he saw similarities.

    "I lived a moment very similar to this. At the time, I was nine years old," the Ukraine coach told Sky Sport.

    "The only thing we have to do is avoid stupid behaviour. None of us can be sure that we have no contracted the virus.

    "We must not go out, we must not think only of us, but above all of those people for whom the infection would be a greater problem."

    Shevchenko thanked doctors and nurses and urged people to respect guidance from their governments.

    Italy, where Shevchenko played with AC Milan from 1999-2006, has seen more than 10,000 deaths due to coronavirus.

    "The only solution is to respect the rules of the government – that is to stay at home and give doctors the opportunity to do their job, which is really huge," he said.

    "Give them volunteer nurses, they are the heroes of our time. They must be thanked for all they are doing."

  • Coronavirus: We were exposed until the last moment – Godin Coronavirus: We were exposed until the last moment – Godin

    Inter defender Diego Godin felt "exposed" to coronavirus until the last minute, saying Serie A tried to continue until it became "unsustainable".

    Serie A was suspended on March 9 due to the coronavirus pandemic, which has hit Italy hard.

    A day earlier, Inter suffered a 2-0 loss to Juventus and on March 12, defender Daniele Rugani tested positive for COVID-19.

    Godin said there was a push for football to continue until the situation was no longer under control.

    "We were exposed until the last moment. They kept pulling the rope to see if you could continue playing, until the situation was unsustainable," he told ESPN.

    "The health system collapsed, there are no intensive care beds to attend so many critically ill people and people who may have another illness, they cannot attend to them, so many professional doctors."

    Godin added: "We continued playing for several weeks, we continued training, playing behind closed doors, until the positive of a Juventus player was detected and we and the Juventus players were quarantined.

    "There the championship was stopped. Surely in that match there were other players who would already be infected, so they directly quarantined all of us."

    Italy has recorded more than 92,400 cases of coronavirus, reporting 10,023 deaths.

  • Coronavirus: FFA chief Johnson defends timing of A-League suspension despite positive cases Coronavirus: FFA chief Johnson defends timing of A-League suspension despite positive cases

    Football Federation Australia (FFA) chief executive James Johnson defended the timing of the A-League season suspension despite two positive coronavirus cases this week.

    The A-League was the last competition standing in Australia, suspending its season on Tuesday due to the coronavirus pandemic.

    But it was confirmed on Saturday that a Newcastle Jets player and Wellington Phoenix staff member had tested positive for COVID-19.

    Johnson said the A-League was stopped at the right time, despite the two cases that followed just days later.

    "When you follow a decision-making process that is evidence-based and which is highly consultative, I always think you get really close to the right decision," he told Fox Sports on Sunday.

    "This decision to close the A-League, or to suspend the A-League, was made with the unanimous support of all the A-League clubs and was made in close consultation with the players' union on behalf of the players. We did have a very unified decision and we had unity in the sport which we've not really seen for a long time.

    "I think the timing to close the league, to suspend the league, was right, I think we arrived at the right time.

    "Unfortunately, since we closed the league, there have been a couple of cases now of the virus, we've been informed by both Newcastle and Wellington of those cases, the league is taking all necessary steps in line with the government guidelines. They're currently trying to understand better the details around who the players were mixing with and how they could've contracted the virus. This is going on at the moment.

    "What we're trying to do at FFA is we're trying to ensure that both the player and also the administrator that have contracted the virus have all the support that they need during these difficult times."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.