Rivaldo slates Hazard's Champions League debut for Real Madrid

By Sports Desk September 19, 2019

Eden Hazard's performance in Real Madrid's 3-0 defeat to Paris Saint-Germain was criticised by former Barcelona and Brazil forward Rivaldo, who said Los Blancos "escaped a historic beating" at Parc des Princes.

Former Chelsea player Hazard mustered a solitary shot off target and a single key pass before Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane replaced him with Lucas Vazquez in the 70th minute, with PSG leading 2-0.

Rivaldo said he was impressed by the French champions but questioned the strength of Zidane's squad after Madrid laboured in the absence of the injured Luka Modric and suspended Sergio Ramos.

"PSG offered an exhibition even without Neymar and Mbappe, their biggest stars," Rivaldo told AS. "Real Madrid escaped a historic beating.

"Eden had a bad debut match in Champions with Real Madrid, but even when you're a great player you need your teammates to help you shine and prove your worth.

"When you don't have enough players to supply replacements with the same quality, then the matter can get ugly. I think Zidane might be forced to go to the January market to recruit one or two great signings for the team.

"I think Zidane has a lot of work ahead to return this team to what it was when he won three consecutive Champions Leagues."

Looking at his former club Barcelona, Rivaldo issued a word of caution to those talking up the potential of 16-year-old playmaker Ansu Fati.

The Guinea-Bissau-born teenager has made three LaLiga appearances for Ernesto Valverde's side this season and was given his Champions League bow in a goalless draw with Borussia Dortmund on Tuesday evening.

Fati played 59 minutes of a cagey match before being replaced by Lionel Messi, but Rivaldo said it is too soon to draw comparisons between the two.

He said: "It would be putting too much pressure on his shoulders. He is still a kid who is not yet even a member of the first team. We will give him time and space to play his football and in the future we will see whether or not he is the new Messi."

Related items

  • Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga

    Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has the support of the club after the spat between his wife Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney, manager Brendan Rodgers has said.

    Coleen Rooney, wife of England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney, last week alleged that stories about her personal life had been leaked to a newspaper by someone with access to Rebekah Vardy's Instagram account.

    By changing her privacy settings to mean only those logged in on Rebekah Vardy's account could view her Instagram stories, Coleen Rooney said she posted a series of fabricated tales about her personal life which made their way into print.

    Rebekah Vardy strenuously denied any involvement in passing on details to The Sun newspaper and hit back at Coleen Rooney.

    Rooney was nicknamed 'WAGatha Christie' by British media for the elaborate way in which she claimed to have worked out how the stories reached the public domain.

    Rebekah Vardy blamed "various people having access to my insta" and said she was "disgusted" to have to deny involvement at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

    The unusual saga came during football's international break. Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy are former England team-mates but have retired from playing for their country.

    Rodgers addressed the matter at a news conference on Thursday and said: "It's something that is personal and outside of our remit. All we ever offer is support to the players and their families.

    "I was aware of what went on last week. I actually gave Jamie an extra few days away with his family to have a rest and I'm sure that was a difficult week for them. We're here to support him, and his family if they need it."

    Rodgers added: "I spoke to Jamie earlier on in the week. He has trained fine and been great this week."

    Wayne Rooney, who is also Manchester United's record scorer, will return to English football following his time with MLS team DC United when he joins Championship club Derby County in January.

    Jamie Vardy has scored five Premier League goals for Leicester this season, with Rodgers' men riding high in fourth position. They play Burnley on Saturday.

  • Manchester City & Liverpool hit with UEFA fines for crowd disturbances Manchester City & Liverpool hit with UEFA fines for crowd disturbances

    Manchester City and Liverpool have been fined by UEFA for incidents that took place during Champions League matches this month.

    The teams were charged two weeks ago and UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) met on Thursday to decide their punishments.

    City have been slapped with a €15,750 (£13,000) fine for the throwing of objects in their 2-0 win over Dinamo Zagreb on October 1.

    Dinamo have also been ordered to pay €20,000 (£17,300) for the same offence and acts of damages in the away end at the Etihad Stadium.

    Liverpool were sanctioned to the tune of €10,000 (£8,600) after their supporters came onto the pitch during and after their 4-3 Champions League win against Salzburg at Anfield on October 2.

    A group of youngsters climbed over the hoardings at full-time and ran towards Andy Robertson to collect his shirt, while another spectator entered the pitch midway through the second half and was led away by stewards. Salzburg were fined €3,250 (£2,800) over the throwing of objects.

    Ajax must pay a total of €68,000 (£58,800) in fines. Acts of damages and crowd disturbances from the travelling fans at Mestalla has resulted in a ban from selling tickets for their trip to Chelsea on November 11, while they must contact Valencia within 30 days and agree compensation.

  • Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts

    Christian Benteke and James Tomkins have signed new deals with Crystal Palace, the Premier League club have announced.

    Belgium striker Benteke has scored just one top-flight goal since the start of last season and was due to be out of contract next June.

    The 28-year-old has agreed to stay on for a further 12 months, however, while centre-back Tomkins has extended his deal through to the end of 2021-22.

    Tomkins has played 87 times for the south London side since joining in 2016, but he has not featured since injuring his groin in April.

    Palace confirmed the new deals on their official website on Thursday and chairman Steve Parish added: "I'm pleased that agreements have been reached with these two important senior players. 

    "Both James and Christian bring vast Premier League experience, commitment and professionalism to the squad.  

    "These new deals show that we recognise their levels of performance in recent seasons, that we believe in both players, and that they are hugely motivated by the direction the club is heading."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.