Lewandowski happy after scoring 200th Bayern Munich goal

By Sports Desk September 18, 2019

Bayern Munich star Robert Lewandowski revelled in scoring his 200th competitive goal for the Bundesliga champions.

Lewandowski celebrated a milestone as Bayern opened their Champions League campaign with a 3-0 victory over Red Star Belgrade in Munich on Wednesday.

The 31-year-old striker, who moved onto 199 competitive goals for Bayern in their draw at Bundesliga rivals RB Leipzig last week, poked home the team's second goal with 10 minutes remaining against Red Star.

"We always had the game under control and played well, we upped the pace and created a lot of chances," Lewandowski said as he reflected on the Group B clash.

"But we didn't score enough goals. We always tried to get forward. Sometimes we might have made wrong decisions, but these are little things. In the end it was only three goals, but it could have been five or six.

"You need games like today to help with a good analysis, to see what you can do better. After the second goal, it got easier. I'm glad I scored again."

Lewandowski – the highest-scoring foreigner for Bayern – is fourth on the club's all-time list, behind Rainer Ohlhauser (215), Karl-Heinz Rummenigge (218) and Gerd Muller (564).

The Poland international has flourished since arriving from Borussia Dortmund in 2014, winning five successive Bundesliga titles.

Lewandowski – who has also won two DFB-Pokal trophies and three DFL-Supercups – has topped the Bundesliga scoring charts for the past two seasons and four of the past six.

Related items

  • Teenage defender Mai renews Bayern Munich contract until 2022 Teenage defender Mai renews Bayern Munich contract until 2022

    Lars Lukas Mai has signed a new contract with Bayern Munich, keeping him with the Bundesliga champions until June 2022.

    The 19-year-old defender joined the German giants at under-16 level in 2014 and made two league appearances for the senior side two seasons ago.

    Mai's existing deal was due to expire at the end of the 2020-21 campaign, but the ex-Dynamo Dresden prospect has agreed terms to stay on for a further 12 months.

    Bayern announced the renewal on Friday and Mai said: "I'm very glad about the contract extension and the trust placed in me. 

    "I'd like to take the next step in my development, and I think there's no better place for that than FC Bayern."

    A regular for Bayern's reserve side over the past two seasons, Mai is highly regarded at the Allianz Arena and has been named on the bench three times in the Bundesliga this term.

    Sporting director Hasan Salihamidzic said: "Lukas is a good lad and one of our biggest talents. 

    "At the age of 19, he's already one of the key players for our reserves in the third division. We're convinced he'll continue to develop."

  • Injury setback delays Sensi return for Inter Injury setback delays Sensi return for Inter

    Inter midfielder Stefano Sensi is set to miss out on a reunion with Sassuolo after suffering another injury to his right thigh.

    The on-loan Italy international was being reintegrated into training ahead of this weekend's Serie A fixture when he reported a "small" problem, according to an Inter statement.

    An MRI scan on Friday detected a strain in the same thigh he injured in the 2-1 loss to Juventus before the international break.

    Sensi lasted until the 34th minute of that match and could now miss next week's crucial Champions League clash against Borussia Dortmund, along with Sunday's trip to face the club he left in July.

    "Today's tests revealed a strain to the psoas muscle," Inter's statement read. "His condition will be assessed in the next few days."

    Sensi is on loan at Inter from Sassuolo but is widely expected to make the move permanent for a reported €25million fee at the end of the campaign.

    The 24-year-old has been one of the key factors in the Nerazzurri's strong start under Antonio Conte, scoring three goals in seven league appearances.

  • Umtiti and Junior fit to return for Barcelona at Eibar Umtiti and Junior fit to return for Barcelona at Eibar

    Samuel Umtiti and Junior Firpo have been passed fit to play a part in Barcelona's LaLiga clash with Eibar on Saturday.

    Centre-back Umtiti is yet to feature this season and has been out for the past six weeks with a foot injury.

    Meanwhile, versatile left-back Junior last featured in the 2-0 win over Getafe on September 28, scoring his first Barca goal, before a hamstring complaint.

    Both players were named in Thursday's travelling squad and then took part in Friday's training session ahead of the early kick-off on Saturday.

    The LaLiga champions, who are second in the table after three straight wins, confirmed the duo had been cleared to play.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.