Messi done enough in Barcelona return – Valverde

By Sports Desk September 17, 2019

Lionel Messi "done enough" in his return as Barcelona drew 0-0 with Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League, insisted head coach Ernesto Valverde.

Messi made his first appearance of the season after recovering from a calf injury in Barca's goalless draw away to Dortmund in their Group F opener on Tuesday.

The Barca captain had been sidelined up until his second-half introduction against Dortmund, though Messi was a peripheral figure for the visitors.

"He's like any player who hasn't had a pre-season," Valverde said.

"He's had to play in a game at an incredible pace, which had already started, all without preparation.

"It's his first 30 minutes. He's done enough. It was also the first full game for Luis Suarez."

Barca had goalkeeper Marc-Andre ter Stegen to thank for securing a point after the German star saved Marco Reus' second-half penalty.

Ter Stegen thwarted Dortmund on more than one occasion in the second 45 minutes and Valverde hailed the Germany international.

"In LaLiga [Santander] we were saying that opponents score against us," Valverde added. "But tonight, he was very good. We have a great goalkeeper and we benefit from that."

On denying Reus from the penalty spot, Ter Stegen said:  It's hard to study, Reus always changes. It was a feeling I had [going to his left] and I'm glad that I could save it."

Related items

  • Manchester City & Liverpool hit with UEFA fines for crowd disturbances Manchester City & Liverpool hit with UEFA fines for crowd disturbances

    Manchester City and Liverpool have been fined by UEFA for incidents that took place during Champions League matches this month.

    The teams were charged two weeks ago and UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) met on Thursday to decide their punishments.

    City have been slapped with a €15,750 (£13,000) fine for the throwing of objects in their 2-0 win over Dinamo Zagreb on October 1.

    Dinamo have also been ordered to pay €20,000 (£17,300) for the same offence and acts of damages in the away end at the Etihad Stadium.

    Liverpool were sanctioned to the tune of €10,000 (£8,600) after their supporters came onto the pitch during and after their 4-3 Champions League win against Salzburg at Anfield on October 2.

    A group of youngsters climbed over the hoardings at full-time and ran towards Andy Robertson to collect his shirt, while another spectator entered the pitch midway through the second half and was led away by stewards. Salzburg were fined €3,250 (£2,800) over the throwing of objects.

    Ajax must pay a total of €68,000 (£58,800) in fines. Acts of damages and crowd disturbances from the travelling fans at Mestalla has resulted in a ban from selling tickets for their trip to Chelsea on November 11, while they must contact Valencia within 30 days and agree compensation.

  • Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts

    Christian Benteke and James Tomkins have signed new deals with Crystal Palace, the Premier League club have announced.

    Belgium striker Benteke has scored just one top-flight goal since the start of last season and was due to be out of contract next June.

    The 28-year-old has agreed to stay on for a further 12 months, however, while centre-back Tomkins has extended his deal through to the end of 2021-22.

    Tomkins has played 87 times for the south London side since joining in 2016, but he has not featured since injuring his groin in April.

    Palace confirmed the new deals on their official website on Thursday and chairman Steve Parish added: "I'm pleased that agreements have been reached with these two important senior players. 

    "Both James and Christian bring vast Premier League experience, commitment and professionalism to the squad.  

    "These new deals show that we recognise their levels of performance in recent seasons, that we believe in both players, and that they are hugely motivated by the direction the club is heading."

  • Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict

    A decision on whether next week's Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid can go ahead at Camp Nou is set to be made on Thursday, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales said.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona at the start of the week after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca are due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

    Barcelona's main airport was briefly closed on Tuesday due to the tension, with Spanish league officials raising concern the Clasico could be affected by protests.

    One option would be to move the game to Madrid and for Barca to host the second Clasico of the season, but that was opposed by Blaugrana head coach Ernesto Valverde on Thursday.

    There have also been suggestions the match should be postponed and an alternative date in the calendar found. Valverde thinks the game should go ahead as planned.

    Rubiales said Barca and Madrid swiftly submitted their observations on the matter and the RFEF would be seeking to make an early decision.

    "I can assure that we will work to try to have a resolution this evening, because there are people involved, supporters with booked trips, tickets, media, and that is what we have done," Rubiales said.

    "Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide. So the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one or another thing."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.