EPL

Guardiola congratulates clinical Canaries

By Sports Desk September 14, 2019

Pep Guardiola congratulated Norwich City after they inflicted one of the biggest shock results in Premier League history on champions Manchester City.

Norwich were without 11 players due to injury and head coach Daniel Farke had to include two goalkeepers as substitutes in order to fill his bench, but they pulled off a stunning 3-2 home win.

The Canaries led 2-0 thanks to goals from Kenny McLean and Todd Cantwell and held their nerve despite Sergio Aguero halving the deficit before half-time.

Nicolas Otamendi's error led to Teemu Pukki making it 3-1 and although Rodri's late strike set up a nervous finale, the promoted outfit were able to hold on for a famous victory.

City's first loss in the Premier League since January leaves them five points behind Liverpool, who have won all five of their games in the 2019-20 campaign, as Guardiola's men seek a third consecutive title.

"Sometimes games like this happen – we had our chances to score but didn't, so congratulations to Norwich," Guardiola said. "It is football – we had many opportunities today, they had three or four and scored three goals.

"The first one was a set-piece we didn't defend, the second we were caught on the counter-attack and the third came from a mistake, but we know what we are as a team, we know what we have done and we know what we are going to do.

"I love my players and it's a pleasure to be with them. They didn't create so many chances, but they got three goals – we played Bournemouth and they had more chances than Norwich did today, but we won that game – football can sometimes do this."

Guardiola sprang a surprise by starting with Kevin De Bruyne on the bench and while he introduced the Belgium star in the second half, along with Gabriel Jesus and Riyad Mahrez, City could not find an equaliser.

"Even at 2-0, we knew we were still in it because we can create a lot of chances in a short space of time," Guardiola added.

"But the third goal hurt us because we had started [the second half] well and we were there, but in the end it didn't happen. In football you can't always avoid mistakes.

"They are a really good team with good players who have quality, we saw that in the Championship last year, they were clinical today.

"We did not have urgency in the final third that we normally have. Even at 3-2 we had chances to make it 3-3 – this team never gives up and that's why we have done what we have done."

Related items

  • Favre refuses to discuss Sancho's suspension after Dortmund win without star Favre refuses to discuss Sancho's suspension after Dortmund win without star

    Borussia Dortmund head coach Lucien Favre refused to discuss Jadon Sancho being dropped for the victory over Bundesliga leaders Borussia Monchengladbach.

    Dortmund suspended star Sancho for Saturday's clash following reports he returned late from international duty with England this week.

    Favre's Dortmund won 1-0 without 19-year-old sensation Sancho thanks to Marco Reus' 58th-minute goal at home to Gladbach.

    Asked about Sancho – who has been heavily linked to Premier League giants Manchester United – Favre told reporters: "I am not going to comment on that. It was a disciplinary measure.

    "Tomorrow is a new day. That's all. It stays internal."

    Sancho has scored three goals and supplied five assists in Bundesliga games this season but started on the bench in the 2-2 draw against Freiburg on October 5.

    The Englishman – who arrived from Manchester City in 2017 – scored 12 goals and supplied 14 assists as Dortmund finished runners-up to Bayern Munich last season.

    "We have a responsibility for the club and, in this case, also for the hygiene of the squad," Dortmund's sporting director Michael Zorc said.

    "And therefore the decision was without an alternative. [Sancho] trained alone today and we'd like to think he'll be back against Inter [in the Champions League].

    "He is only suspended today [Saturday]. Jadon is a good lad, but he's very young and shot to the top. He might test his limits and that's why we decided to not call him up today."

  • Real Madrid hurting after Mallorca loss, says Marcelo Real Madrid hurting after Mallorca loss, says Marcelo

    Marcelo said Real Madrid's shock loss to Real Mallorca "hurts" as the LaLiga giants lost top spot to defending champions Barcelona.

    Madrid crashed to their first LaLiga defeat of the season, with Zinedine Zidane's 10-man visitors succumbing to Lago Junior's early strike at Son Moix on Saturday.

    Bitter rivals Barca leapfrogged Madrid into top spot thanks to their win over Eibar earlier in the day, and left-back Marcelo lamented the result away from home.

    "We lost but we must keep going," Marcelo said. "It hurts to lose because we played well, but we conceded early on and then looked to make our comeback but it was not possible.

    "We did not have time to think, they scored a goal and they defended and waited for the counter, that's no excuse though.

    "We need to play well until the final whistle. We have won some games while lacking something. We're trying to do everything possible to win but LaLiga is tough these days."

    It was not the result Zidane had in mind following the international break as Madrid looked to preserve their lead atop the table.

    However, Mallorca's Lago stunned Madrid seven minutes into the match by finding the bottom-right corner.

    Karim Benzema hit the crossbar before substitute Rodrygo Goes squandered a presentable chance and Madrid's hopes of a comeback were all but over when Alvaro Odriozola saw red 16 minutes from the end, with Mallorca holding firm to claim their first win over Los Blancos since 2009.

    "We knew about Mallorca," Madrid goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois said. "The coach warned us they would come out with grit and real intensity. In the first five or 10 minutes, we were caught short. 

    "We had chances but lacked that final touch. The goal scorer is right footed and he sent it in at the far post. It is a shame, we should have won here."

    On Odriozola's dismissal, Courtois added: "In the first yellow [he] hit the ball, the second is fair. I think that at that time with a card there should be no foul, but hey, it is the adrenaline. Playing with 10 was more complicated."

  • Ancelotti: I'll call Ibrahimovic about Napoli move Ancelotti: I'll call Ibrahimovic about Napoli move

    Carlo Ancelotti joked he will call Zlatan Ibrahimovic about a move to Napoli following Saturday's 2-0 win over Hellas Verona.

    LA Galaxy superstar Ibrahimovic talked up his chances of a return to Serie A as the 38-year-old expressed his interest in playing for Ancelotti's Napoli.

    Former Juventus, Inter and AC Milan striker Ibrahimovic claimed he would score 20 goals a season in Italy's top flight during an interview with Gazzetta dello Sport.

    Responding to Ibrahimovic's comments after Arkadiusz Milik's double guided Napoli past Verona, head coach Ancelotti told Sky Sport Italia: "I'll call him tonight and say we're waiting!

    "I have a great deal of affection for him, I saw he scored 29 goals in 30 MLS games.

    "Tomorrow, after I've called him, I'll let you know how it went!"

    Ibrahimovic and the Galaxy are in action in the MLS play-offs on Sunday.

    The Galaxy will meet Minnesota United for a spot in the Western Conference semi-finals against Supporters' Shield champions Los Angeles FC.

    Ibrahimovic netted 30 goals during the regular season, four adrift of top scorer and LAFC captain Carlos Vela.

    Ex-Manchester United star Ibrahimovic is out of contract at the end of the season and the veteran has been linked with a return to Italy, as well as Argentine giants Boca Juniors – where Roma great Daniele De Rossi is based.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.