Marcelino's Valencia replacement Celades hails Parejo's show of responsibility

By Sports Desk September 13, 2019

Albert Celades has been impressed by Dani Parejo's positive response to what he acknowledged has been a difficult situation at Valencia.

Celades was brought in as Valencia's new coach following the dismissal of Marcelino – who guided them to two successive top-four finishes in LaLiga, along with a Copa del Rey triumph last season.

Defending champions Barcelona are first up for Celades, who was previously an assistant under Julen Lopetegui for both Spain and Real Madrid.

Valencia captain Parejo was among the players to take to social media in the wake of Marcelino's sacking, paying tribute to their former coach.

However, the Spain international posted a follow-up tweet on Thursday, stating: "Without excuses, with enthusiasm and with the maximum commitment. We are Valencia and we must live up to the badge."

It is a response that has pleased Celades, who says the players have shown a fantastic attitude despite the departure of a coach who was well respected by the squad.

"Under the circumstances that they have been through, the players have shown great professionalism," Celades told a news conference.

"Parejo is our captain. He's not just a player but also somebody very important for the fans.

"He's spent many years here, in very different times, and gone through many difficult situations as well as other nicer ones.

"He knows the club well and his attitude is very positive for all of us. I think it's a great show of responsibility.

"That's the way we want everybody to be. I hope that his optimism and mentality as captain is contagious."

Valencia drew both of their league meetings with Barca last term, before beating the Blaugrana 2-1 in the Copa del Rey final – a win that Marcelino believes played a part in him losing his job – and Ernesto Valverde is expecting a stern challenge despite the upheaval at Mestalla.

"I imagine it will be a similar kind of game even though they have changed manager," Barca's coach told a news conference.

"It was only two days ago. I don't really think there has been time, I'm sure there will be changes in time but it hasn't been enough.

"It's a team that has given us problems on the counter-attack, keep their lines together, quick on the break and can score from the smallest of chances, we saw that in the cup final.

"They're a Champions League team so we expect a Champions League kind of game."

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Milan look elsewhere amid Ibrahimovic links Rumour Has It: Milan look elsewhere amid Ibrahimovic links

    AC Milan are desperate to add some firepower, but the Serie A side may not be opting for Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

    Ibrahimovic, 38, has been linked with a return to San Siro as the superstar prepares to leave LA Galaxy at the end of his contract.

    However, Milan are considering their options.

     

    TOP STORY – MILAN LOOK ELSEWHERE AMID IBRAHIMOVIC LINKS

    AC Milan are eyeing Napoli star Dries Mertens and Juventus striker Mario Mandzukic, according to Tuttosport.

    Stefano Pioli's men are struggling in 14th in Serie A, having scored just 11 goals in 12 league games.

    Krzysztof Piatek is Milan's leading goalscorer in the league, but he has managed just three in 12.

    The report says Ibrahimovic remains an option in the background.

    ROUND-UP

    - Juventus stars are expecting an apology from Cristiano Ronaldo after his outburst on Sunday, according to Gazzetta dello Sport. Ronaldo reportedly left the stadium after being substituted in the second half of Juve's 1-0 win over Milan.

    - Expect movement at Barcelona in January. Sport reports the LaLiga champions could sell Ivan Rakitic, Carles Alena and Moussa Wague without making any additions. Meanwhile, ESPN FC says Barcelona consider €100million too high a price to pay for Salzburg star Erling Haaland.

    - Dani Olmo is still attracting interest from Europe's biggest clubs. CalcioMercato reports the Spanish attacker is ready to leave Dinamo Zagreb, who want €40m amid interest from Manchester City, AC Milan and Roma.

    - Amid a lack of playing time at Real Madrid, Brahim Diaz and Mariano have been offered to Espanyol, according to Sport. Brahim has played just 18 LaLiga minutes this season, while Mariano is yet to feature in 2019-20.

    - Andrea Belotti is set to re-sign with Torino. The striker – who has scored seven goals in 12 Serie A games this season – will get higher wages and a release clause of €100m, which will apply only for foreign clubs, according to CalcioMercato.

    - Inter want to make as many as three signings in January, according to Tuttosport. Second in the Serie A table, one of those additions is set to depend on how much Inter bring in from the sale of Gabriel Barbosa – the forward is on loan at Flamengo.

  • Modric: We'll see if one day I can play in Italy Modric: We'll see if one day I can play in Italy

    Real Madrid midfielder Luka Modric revealed he liked Italy and could be open to a move to Serie A in the future.

    The 34-year-old claimed the Golden Foot award on Tuesday, almost a year after winning the Ballon d'Or following a tremendous 2018.

    However, Modric has only made three LaLiga starts for Madrid this season and has previously been linked with a move to both Milan clubs.

    The Croatia international said he followed Serie A and enjoyed Italy, with a move possible in the future.

    "I like Italy, it's close to Croatia," he told Sky Sport. "I follow Serie A because I have many national team-mates playing there.

    "The Italians are fantastic and have a mentality similar to us Croats."

    Modric added: "We'll see if one day I can play in Italy. I cannot talk about this because I am a Real Madrid player.

    "I like being at Real and for now I see my future there alone."

    Modric has been at Madrid since 2012, when he arrived from Tottenham, and has made more than 300 appearances for the club.

  • Defending champs KC book spot in final four Defending champs KC book spot in final four

    Defending champions Kingston College (KC) secured their spot in the semi-finals of the ISSA/Digicel Manning Cup following a come-from-behind 2-1 win over Camperdown at National Stadium East on Tuesday.

    Needing to merely avoid defeat to secure a spot in the final four, Kingston College started brightly but were pushed on the back foot when Camperdown struck on the break.  Striker Shemar Daley showed plenty of composure to stick the ball into the corner of the net after being put through on goal in the 30th minute.

    Things looked worse for KC when they saw a penalty attempt saved in a few minutes later.  Dwane Atkinson finally brought the teams back on level terms four minutes into first-half stoppage time when he smashed a redirected corner past goalkeeper Deshawn White and high into the roof of the net.

    In a steady downpour and slippery conditions in the second half, it was KC who looked the more likely to steal the win and in the end, they did just that.  It was Michael Allen found the back of the net from close range after the ball was held up in the water.  In the group’s other decisive game between Wolmer’s and Charlie Smith.  Wolmer’s led 3-0 before the game was discontinued due to a waterlogged field.

     

      

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.