Mbappe 'progressing well' but yet to return to PSG training

By Sports Desk September 12, 2019

Kylian Mbappe is "progressing well" as he continues to recover from a hamstring injury, Paris Saint-Germain have confirmed.

Mbappe was substituted after pulling his hamstring in a 4-0 Ligue 1 defeat of Toulouse last month.

The France forward has been working hard on his recovery over the international break but is not yet ready to return to training.

Edinson Cavani, though, is closer to making his comeback after he was injured in the same game as Mbappe.

In an update posted to PSG's official website on Thursday, the club said the Uruguay striker will make a "progressive return to training this week".

Thilo Kehrer and Julian Draxler are undergoing treatment with both players expected to miss Saturday's home game against Strasbourg as a result.

Mbappe and Cavani are unlikely to be fit to take on Real Madrid, however, with PSG opening their Champions League campaign at home to the Spanish giants on Wednesday.

Neymar is also ruled out of that game due to suspension, so PSG coach Thomas Tuchel could be without all three members of his usual front line for the Group A clash.

Former Stoke City forward Eric Maxim Choupo-Moting, who has scored three goals in two Ligue 1 games, is therefore in line to feature.

Related items

  • Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star

    Barcelona chief executive Oscar Grau has confirmed Ernesto Valverde asked the club to buy Neymar, as the Spanish champions consider whether to make any future bids to Paris Saint-Germain.

    Neymar was strongly linked with a return to Camp Nou, with PSG sporting director Leonardo confirming the Brazilian was for sale having asked to leave the French capital.

    But despite Barca reportedly making a series of cash-plus-players offers to PSG, no deal could be completed before September 2's European transfer deadline.

    Neymar scored on his first Ligue 1 appearance this term after failing to get his desired move, but PSG ultras have indicated he will not be welcomed back to the fray quickly.

    Real Madrid have also long been linked with a move for Neymar, with Grau unwilling to say whether Barcelona will continue to pursue a deal for the Brazil forward.

    "Neymar was a request from the sports area and the coach and the club did everything in order to get him, albeit in a financially sustainable way," Grau said on Thursday.

    "We made many proposals to PSG. They always rejected them. I don't know if we are going to target him again next summer. Planning for next season will be done in the future.

    "We would have been delighted to have the chance to bring Neymar back, but the terms always had to be reasonable.

    "If some parameters had been accomplished, it would have been possible, but PSG were not happy about losing him."

    Barca also missed out on Matthijs de Ligt, who opted not to follow his Netherlands team-mate Frenkie de Jong from Ajax to Camp Nou.

    "We made him an offer, but he preferred to go to Juve, where Italian taxation allows him to earn a higher net salary," Grau added.

  • Peter Beardsley banned from football for eight months over racist language Peter Beardsley banned from football for eight months over racist language

    Peter Beardsley has been suspended from football for eight months after being found to have used racist and abusive language while in his role as Newcastle United's Under-23s coach.

    An independent commission imposed a 32-week ban on the ex-England international and ordered him to undergo an education course after the Football Association (FA) charged him with three breaches of FA Rule E3 in March.

    Beardsley, who denied each of the charges, left his post at Newcastle that month, having been placed on gardening leave in January 2018.

    "The FA alleged that Mr Beardsley used abusive and/or insulting words, which were contrary to FA Rule E3(1) and constituted an 'Aggravated Breach' under FA Rule E3(2) due to reference of ethnic origin and/or colour and/or race and/or nationality, while employed as a coach of the club's Under-23s team," read an FA statement.

    "All three breaches of FA Rule E3 were denied but subsequently found proven based upon the results and findings of Newcastle United FC's disciplinary proceedings.

    "Mr Beardsley has also been ordered to complete a face-to-face education course."

    The 58-year-old, who played for Newcastle, will be required to refrain from all football-related activity until April 29, 2020.

    In a statement released via his legal representatives, Beardsley was said to be "very surprised and disappointed" by the outcome.

    It read: "It was almost impossible for Peter to clear his name because of the serious flaws and contamination of evidence that occurred in the disciplinary process before Newcastle United and by the unusual fact that the FA rrules put the burden of proof on him to prove his innocence in the proceedings.

    "After a long process which has been unnecessarily protracted, Peter feels vindicated that the commission has expressly found that he is not a racist.

    "Peter and his legal advisers have been inundated with support from all over the country, both from fellow professionals of the highest repute including John Barnes, Kevin Keegan, Les Ferdinand and Andrew Cole, as well as other football professionals including managers, coaches, players, and football fans, all of which provided unchallenged evidence to the commission as to Peter's good character, the fact that he is not a racist and whatever was said, there was no intent to cause offence."

    The statement added Beardsley acknowledges the commission's verdict and intends to resume his career in football upon the completion of the suspension.

  • Gundogan hails Mendy's return from injury as 'a big boost' for Manchester City Gundogan hails Mendy's return from injury as 'a big boost' for Manchester City

    Ilkay Gundogan welcomed the return to fitness of Benjamin Mendy as "a big boost" for Manchester City at a time when the club are without two key defenders.

    Aymeric Laporte and John Stones missed City's 3-0 Champions League Group C victory over Shakhtar Donetsk on Wednesday with injuries and Pep Guardiola moved Fernandinho into central defence alongside Nicolas Otamendi.

    Mendy came on as a second-half substitute to make his first appearance since City's Champions League quarter-final elimination to Tottenham in April and Gundogan highlighted the importance of his return.

    "It was great to see Benjamin back and it is a big boost for us," Gundogan told the club's official website.

    "Having him available again will be great for the team because we have missed him for the past five months and it's also good for him.

    "His fitness will improve as he gets some more game time and last night was an important step forward for him.

    "We have lost a number of players recently, so having an important member of the squad return is just what we needed.

    "We are competing in so many competitions and every player has a part to play so I'm really happy to see him return."

    Gundogan made his fourth start of the season against Shakhtar and put in an impressive performance as he played the full 90 minutes of the win.

    After playing a role in Riyad Mahrez opening the scoring, Gundogan got City's second and spent the game pulling the strings alongside Kevin De Bruyne and Rodri in midfield.

    He gave a modest assessment of his own performance while looking ahead to City's clash with Watford on Saturday, when they will hope to bounce back from a 3-2 defeat at Norwich City in their last Premier League outing.

    "I'm happy but I know I can still improve," said Gundogan. "It was good to get a goal and also play the full 90 minutes because I think I needed that.

    "It helps me, it helps the team and it helps everyone because we wanted to respond quickly.

    "As you can imagine, the defeat at Norwich was very hard to take for us, that's why beating Shakhtar was even more important and we can take this win into Saturday's game against Watford which is already very close."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.