EPL

Eriksen has always been happy at Tottenham – Pochettino

By Sports Desk September 12, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino says Christian Eriksen remains happy and appreciated at Tottenham following months of speculation over the midfielder's future.

The Denmark international voiced a desire to pursue a new challenge after the Champions League final in June.

Eriksen's admission prompted links to Atletico Madrid, Juventus, Manchester United and Real Madrid, but a move failed to materialise before the end of the transfer window.

Interest is sure to be reignited when the playmaker enters the final six months of his contract in January, though Pochettino is not worried about his commitment to the cause.

"He's happy, he's always been happy," the Spurs coach said.

"Of course, everyone has aims and challenges and goals. I said before the Arsenal game he was in the right frame of mind, that's why I selected him.

"He's an important player for us, a player we appreciate a lot. His qualities are there and are important for the team. He's happy.

"Whether he plays is not because there is one year or less than one year on his contract. Always the decision is based on performance. We felt he was in the right place to compete."

Eriksen started and scored in the 2-2 draw at Arsenal and will have an important part to play in the weeks following the international break, with fellow midfielder Giovani Lo Celso ruled until the end of October through injury.

The Argentina international sustained a hip problem in a friendly against Chile in the United States, his first start of the season for club or country.

Spurs had been careful with easing their loan signing into the new campaign following his involvement at the Copa America, but Pochettino refrained from criticising the Argentine Football Association.

"The reality is we are all disappointed," Pochettino said. "The first, of course, the national team of Argentina. We're all really sad.

"We cannot change the situation. That is why it is so important to have good relationships with all the national teams. The situation is not to blame someone.

"It's bad for the player and our priority is always to try to anticipate the problems."

Tottenham could regain Tanguy Ndombele for Saturday's match against Crystal Palace, but Davinson Sanchez is in doubt with an ankle issue.

Related items

  • Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star

    Barcelona chief executive Oscar Grau has confirmed Ernesto Valverde asked the club to buy Neymar, as the Spanish champions consider whether to make any future bids to Paris Saint-Germain.

    Neymar was strongly linked with a return to Camp Nou, with PSG sporting director Leonardo confirming the Brazilian was for sale having asked to leave the French capital.

    But despite Barca reportedly making a series of cash-plus-players offers to PSG, no deal could be completed before September 2's European transfer deadline.

    Neymar scored on his first Ligue 1 appearance this term after failing to get his desired move, but PSG ultras have indicated he will not be welcomed back to the fray quickly.

    Real Madrid have also long been linked with a move for Neymar, with Grau unwilling to say whether Barcelona will continue to pursue a deal for the Brazil forward.

    "Neymar was a request from the sports area and the coach and the club did everything in order to get him, albeit in a financially sustainable way," Grau said on Thursday.

    "We made many proposals to PSG. They always rejected them. I don't know if we are going to target him again next summer. Planning for next season will be done in the future.

    "We would have been delighted to have the chance to bring Neymar back, but the terms always had to be reasonable.

    "If some parameters had been accomplished, it would have been possible, but PSG were not happy about losing him."

    Barca also missed out on Matthijs de Ligt, who opted not to follow his Netherlands team-mate Frenkie de Jong from Ajax to Camp Nou.

    "We made him an offer, but he preferred to go to Juve, where Italian taxation allows him to earn a higher net salary," Grau added.

  • Egypt appoint El-Badry to replace Aguirre Egypt appoint El-Badry to replace Aguirre

    Egypt have appointed Hossam El-Badry as their new coach.

    The three-time Al Ahly boss succeeds Javier Aguirre in the role.

    Aguirre was dismissed after Egypt's disappointing performance at this year's Africa Cup of Nations.

    Egypt won all three of their group games without conceding a goal but Mohamed Salah and his side then suffered a shock exit, losing 1-0 to South Africa.

    El-Badry, a former defender who played international football for Egypt, won the 2012 CAF Champions League in his second spell at Al Ahly.

    They were beaten in the final two years ago and he left the club in May 2018 despite winning the Egyptian league title.

  • Former Manchester United and Tottenham star Berbatov retires from football Former Manchester United and Tottenham star Berbatov retires from football

    Dimitar Berbatov has announced his retirement from football, saying: "I played the way I wanna play, and I scored the goals I wanted to score!"

    The 38-year-old former Manchester United, Tottenham and Bayer Leverkusen striker played his last game for Kerala Blasters in the Indian Super League in February 2018.

    He announced his retirement on the ninth anniversary of his hat-trick for Manchester United in a memorable 3-2 win over rivals Liverpool.

    After starting his career at CSKA Sofia, Bulgarian Berbatov made a name for himself in the Bundesliga with Leverkusen and then enjoyed success in the Premier League with Spurs.

    United paid £28million to take him to Old Trafford in August 2008 and he won two Premier League titles with the club, before going on to play for Fulham, Monaco, PAOK and Kerala.

    In a post on his Instagram account, Berbatov said: "My last game was more than one year ago, so I think it's the right time now to stop and it's long overdue!

    "Although when I think about it, it's never The End, because I will stay in the game in one way or another, the time has come to say that after almost 20 years playing football I am stopping with my professional ACTIVE football career!

    "I will miss it! I will f***ing miss it! Everything! The games, trainings, the goals, preparations, the pressure, my teammates…the roar of the fans when I scored another banger.

    "I was blessed and work hard to have the opportunity to play with one of the best ever and against some of the best ever! And coming from small country this makes it even more special for me!"

    Berbatov reflected on the ups and downs of a career that included three Champions League final defeats – one with Leverkusen and two with United.

    His most prolific spell came in Germany, where he netted 91 goals in 202 matches for Leverkusen, but he won his only league titles at United, along with the League Cup, the Community Shield and the FIFA Club World Cup.

    He also netted 48 goals in 78 appearances for Bulgaria to become the country's all-time leading scorer before retiring from international football in 2012.

    "I had my highs and of course some lows in my career, won my fair share of trophies, scored some goals along the way as well!" said Berbatov.

    "I played the way I wanna play, and I scored the goals I wanted to score!

    "Thank you to all the people who helped me develop, and became the player I always wanted to be!

    "Thank you to all my former teams, my teammates and my coaches and staff! It was a pleasure! I know at times I was not easy to work with, but I always gave my everything for the teams I played for!

    "I hope you all have enjoyed my game, and everything I gave to entertain you on the pitch!"

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.