Van Dijk winning Ballon d'Or wouldn't make him better than Messi - Van der Vaart

By Sports Desk September 12, 2019

Virgil van Dijk should not be considered better than Lionel Messi even if he does win the Ballon d'Or, according to former Netherlands star Rafael van der Vaart.

Liverpool star Van Dijk is among the favourites for the world's top individual prizes after an outstanding 2019, helping the Reds to win the Champions League last season in Madrid.

If he was to take home the gong, Van Dijk would be the first defender to win the Ballon d'Or since Italy's World Cup-winning captain Fabio Cannavaro in 2006.

But Van der Vaart, Van Dijk's countryman, claims a defender's importance to his team can see them rewarded for an outstanding year even if they do not match up to five-time winner Messi.

Asked if a defender could win the coveted award, Van der Vaart told reporters: "Yeah, of course. Why not?

"You can't compare players. If you choose a defender, it doesn't mean he is better than Messi. You have to see what he wins, how important he is for his own team. We will see what happens."

Netherlands have two of European football's foremost centre-backs, with Matthijs de Ligt having left Ajax for Juventus in the close season.

The 20-year-old endured a tough Bianconeri debut in a 4-3 win over Napoli, but Van der Vaart expects him to prove his worth.

"He could have played somewhere else - Bayern Munich or maybe for Barcelona - and now he's had a difficult start at Juventus," the former Real Madrid midfielder said.

"It's not easy - [Giorgio] Chiellini is injured now, it's going to be difficult for him, but he has so much talent.

"He also played two games for the national team and was by far the best man on the pitch [in the past week]. He's a great talent."

And Van der Vaart is hopeful of a bright future for Netherlands under head coach Ronald Koeman.

He added: "We are lucky that we have so many good talents at the moment, with De Ligt, [Frenkie] De Jong, Van Dijk, some special players.

"[Koeman] is a guy who brought stability to the team. You can see everyone likes to play for Netherlands again and, for a long time, it was not like that."

Related items

  • Arsenal boss Emery was there when Watford sacked Gracia Arsenal boss Emery was there when Watford sacked Gracia

    Arsenal boss Unai Emery has revealed how a chance encounter with Javi Gracia in Spain coincided with his former team-mate's dismissal from Watford.

    Gracia lost his job following a run of one draw and three defeats to start the Premier League season.

    The ex-Osasuna, Malaga and Rubin Kazan head coach had travelled to his homeland during the international break and bumped into Emery in the Basque region.

    The pair were discussing the forthcoming fixture between their teams when news of Watford's decision came through.

    "It's amazing," Emery said. "I met him, we found each other last week in my town, in Hondarribia, when I was there with my family.

    "I was walking and in front of us was Javi Gracia.

    "And in the moment we started speaking about our match, and we finished it knowing he was sacked. It's a good story, yes?"

    Gracia and Emery shared the Real Sociedad dressing room as players in the mid-1990s and their relationship played a part in the latter's appointment at Arsenal in 2018.

    "When the possibility opened up to sign here, the first coach, the first person in the football world I called was him," Emery said.

    "I asked him some questions about the football here, the clubs, Arsenal and he recommended to me that I come here."

    Emery added: "He is a very good coach, as he showed last year in Watford. The club decided [to part company with him] and I have to respect that.

    "He is going to work and he is going to continue his career like he is, like a great coach."

    Watford, FA Cup finalists last season, immediately turned to Quique Sanchez Flores to fill the post.

    Flores coached the club during the 2015-16 season and commences his second stint in charge at home to Arsenal on Sunday.

  • Rumour Has It: Inter Miami meet with Messi's dad Rumour Has It: Inter Miami meet with Messi's dad

    Inter Miami are continuing their stunning bid to sign Lionel Messi.

    Messi, 32, can reportedly leave Barcelona at the end of any season for a club outside of Europe despite being contracted at the LaLiga champions until 2021.

    Linked with a shock switch to David Beckham's MLS outfit Inter Miami, the club are continuing to make moves for the Argentina superstar.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER MIAMI REPRESENTATIVE MEETS MESSI'S DAD

    Beckham sent Inter Miami sporting director Paul McDonough to London for talks with Messi's dad Jorge, according to The Sun.

    Inter Miami are set to enter MLS in 2020 and are looking for a big-name signing, with Messi undoubtedly the biggest of the names linked.

    It comes just days after Messi said in an interview with Sport that he wanted to remain at Camp Nou for "as long as possible".

    ROUND-UP

    - Real Madrid could chase Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba again in January. Sport Bild reports Real Madrid are planning to use Toni Kroos in an exchange deal to land the France international, who was heavily linked with a switch during the close season.

    - Sadio Mane re-signed with Liverpool until 2023 less than 12 months ago, but the European champions are already looking for the attacker to recommit. Liverpool have opened talks with Mane for an extension, according to Soccer Link.

    - Seemingly unwanted at Juventus, Mario Mandzukic's future remains a talking point. Qatari club Al-Gharafa have offered €6million net per year to the striker and can meet Juve's demands, according to CalcioMercato, which reports Los Angeles FC are also interested in the Croatian despite the MLS transfer window not reopening until February.

    - Inter are already looking to lock down a couple of stars. CalcioMercato reports the Serie A giants want to extend the contracts of goalkeeper Samir Handanovic – until 2022 – and forward Lautaro Martinez until 2024. The report says Inter would also double Martinez's salary from €1.5m to €3m per season amid interest from Barcelona.

    - Sam Allardyce is ready for a return to management. The Sun reports the former England boss, who left Everton in May last year, is eyeing a return to Sunderland if the reported takeover by an American consortium is completed.

  • Ansu Fati has 'something special', says Valverde Ansu Fati has 'something special', says Valverde

    Barcelona coach Ernesto Valverde described Ansu Fati as "something special" after the teenager starred in a 5-2 win over Valencia on Saturday.

    Making his starting debut, Fati needed just seven minutes to have a major impact at Camp Nou, opening the scoring before setting up Frenkie de Jong for Barca's second.

    Fati, aged 16 years and 318 days, became the youngest player to score as a starter in LaLiga history, and the youngest player to both score and assist in a LaLiga game in the 21st century.

    Valverde lauded the teenager – who has scored two LaLiga goals for Barca – for his performance, saying it was beyond expectations.

    "He is a player who has something special. For his age it seems that he is more mature," he told Movistar. 

    "What you see in training is what you see here. Today was something exaggerated – goal, give one assist and almost score another."

    Fati set up Barca's victory before a second-half goal from Gerard Pique and Luis Suarez brace lifted Valverde's side onto seven points from four LaLiga games.

    Amid the excitement around Fati, Valverde played down comparisons to superstar Lionel Messi, who is sidelined with a calf injury.

    "I'm not worried about the comparison," he said.

    "The ball is going to be very big and we have to take care of deflating it."

    Barcelona sit fourth in what is a congested top half of the table, trailing Atletico Madrid (nine points), Real Madrid (eight) and Athletic Bilbao (eight).

    As for his side's performance, Valverde praised Barca's second-half display at home.

    "The best thing is that we have come out with determination, to try to score and arrive," he said.

    "Sometimes we were in danger of putting a lot forward and leaving room for counters. They have fast players. We have done a good second half."

    Barcelona are back in action on Tuesday, visiting Borussia Dortmund in their opening game in the Champions League this season.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.