LFP president against stopping Ligue 1 games for homophobia

By Sports Desk September 11, 2019

Football matches should not be stopped following incidents of homophobia, according to the president of the Ligue de Football Professionnel (LFP).

Ligue 1 games in Nice and Metz have been halted this season after discriminatory banners were displayed in the crowd, while a second-tier encounter early in the 2019-20 campaign between Nancy and Le Mans was also paused.

French Football Federation president Noel Le Graet was criticised when he suggested interrupting play is the wrong decision, but his view has been backed up by Nathalie Boy de la Tour.

"For a long time we have tolerated certain songs, but society no longer accepts them," she said on Wednesday. "We are not very favourable to a stoppage.

"Stopping the match is not the appropriate solution. It deprives everyone of an expected event. It is an extreme solution.

"Our supporters do not necessarily perceive the discriminating character of the words they can use.

"Our desire is to reduce this gap in perception between fan associations, LGBT associations and more generally society.

"We can chant and sing by using terms that are not in the register of discrimination and are not considered a crime."

France president Emmanuel Macron has called for the LFP and fans to work together on the issue of homophobia, while World Cup winning striker Antoine Griezmann has backed stopping matches when incidents occur.

Related items

  • Keeping Neymar is PSG's most important 'signing', claims PSG team-mate Verratti Keeping Neymar is PSG's most important 'signing', claims PSG team-mate Verratti

    Keeping Neymar amid interest from Barcelona was Paris Saint-Germain's most important piece of business in the transfer window, according to his team-mate Marco Verratti.

    Brazil star Neymar was strongly linked with a return to Barca, whom he left two years ago in a world-record €222million move.

    The two clubs held meetings and Barca confirmed their interest in the forward, but their reported offer of €130m plus Ivan Rakitic, Jean-Clair Todibo and Ousmane Dembele – the latter apparently having been offered on loan – fell short when the former Borussia Dortmund winger rejected a proposed switch.

    As such, many consider PSG's Champions League chances to be greater, and although suspension rules him out of their first two games of the European campaign, Verratti believes retaining Neymar's services was the best bit of recruitment work the club did in the transfer window.

    "We need players like Neymar or Kylian [Mbappe], who are a bit above everyone else," Verratti told reporters.

    "Neymar had a difficult time with off-field moments that have somewhat destabilised him, but when he learned that he was staying, I saw him with a smile as always.

    "He loves football, he is a player who will help us a lot. We are lucky to have him in Paris, we must enjoy him. I know the fans have not forgotten [what happened], but I hope Neymar will do everything [to forget the drama] and we will celebrate all this together at the end of the season.

    "In football, there are always some nice moments and I hope that it will end well. Neymar will give 110 per cent.

    "Neymar is perhaps the most important player we recruited. There are more favoured teams than us, but we will give everything.

    "If we go out, it'll because the opponents are better than us, but I do not want to go out and have regrets like last year [against Manchester United]."

    Neymar, Kylian Mbappe and Edinson Cavani will all miss PSG's Group A opener against Real Madrid on Wednesday, meaning Mauro Icardi could lead the line at the Parc des Princes.

    The Argentina forward featured as a substitute in the 1-0 win over Strasbourg on Saturday and, although Verratti accepts he is still integrating, he is confident Icardi will prove his worth.

    "It takes a little more time to get to know everyone, but it's easy to play with him," Verratti said of the on-loan Inter forward.

    "He can score at any time. He can help us, he knows how to play with his team-mates and we are happy.

    "We have to wait a bit to see the real Icardi. He has been out for a long time, but he is a magnificent player."

  • Man City defender Stones out for a month Man City defender Stones out for a month

    John Stones has been ruled out for a month with a muscle injury, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

    City's defensive options had already been hit by Aymeric Laporte being ruled out for six months by a knee injury, while no replacement was signed for departed club captain Vincent Kompany.

    That left Stones and Nicolas Otamendi as City's only senior centre-backs and the pair looked shaky last time out as the champions went down to their first Premier League defeat since January, losing 3-2 away to promoted Norwich City.

    City will be further stretched for the upcoming period after Guardiola told reporters ahead of a Champions League trip to Shakhtar Donetsk that Stones was injured in training on Tuesday.

    "A month, four or five weeks," Guardiola said when asked how long Stones would be out.

    Guardiola previously indicated full-back Kyle Walker and defensive midfielder Fernandinho - an unused substitute against the Canaries - could be options in the heart of City's defence.

    The City boss said he could also turn to teenage duo Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood-Bellis to address the growing injury crisis at the back.

    "[It is a] Big challenge. For me as a manager, it's an incredible challenge: just one central defender in Nico," he added.

    "But I believe a lot. People don't know the spirit and resolve to solve this problem. The players are going to come back with Fernandinho, Garcia, Harwood-Bellis.

    "It's happened, but what we are not going to do is complain. If they are not able, they are not able. We have to have 11 players on the pitch, and I like it, finding a solution."

    Stones will likely miss Premier League games against Watford, Everton and Wolves at least as well as an EFL Cup trip to Preston North End and a Champions League home game against Dinamo Zagreb.

    City will also be without Phil Foden against Shakhtar, with Guardiola confirming: "He has a virus, a problem with the stomach. He's not able [to play] this game or I think the next."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Man City defender Stones out for a month BREAKING NEWS: Man City defender Stones out for a month

    John Stones has been ruled out for a month with a muscle injury, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

    City's defensive options had already been hit by Aymeric Laporte being ruled out for six months by a knee injury, while no replacement was signed for departed club captain Vincent Kompany.

    That left Stones and Nicolas Otamendi as City's only senior centre-backs and the pair looked shaky last time out as City went down to their first Premier League defeat since January, losing 3-2 away to promoted Norwich City.

    City will be further stretched for the upcoming period after Guardiola told reporters ahead of a Champions League trip to Shakhtar Donetsk that Stones was injured in training on Tuesday.

    "A month, four or five weeks," Guardiola said when asked how long Stones would be out.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.