Celades replaces Marcelino at Valencia

By Sports Desk September 11, 2019

Albert Celades has been confirmed as the new head coach of Valencia.

Marcelino was sacked by the LaLiga club on Wednesday after three games of the new season, which has seen them take four points.

The 54-year-old was dismissed following a reported falling out with club owner Peter Lim despite leading Valencia to Champions League qualification last term.

Valencia get their Group H campaign up and running away to Europa League winners Chelsea next week and Celades will be the man in charge.

A former Spain Under-21 coach who acted as assistant to Fernando Hierro at last year's World Cup, Celades has signed a two-year deal.

The 43-year-old also worked as assistant to Julen Lopetegui during his short spell at Real Madrid, but this will be his first job as a first-team coach.

Celades will lead Valencia for the first time when they travel to LaLiga champions Barcelona on Saturday.

The future of Valencia general manager Mateu Alemany is reportedly under threat but the club have given no indication over whether or not he will continue.

Related items

  • Real Madrid fans would not accept a thousand passes without a shot - Zidane defends style of play Real Madrid fans would not accept a thousand passes without a shot - Zidane defends style of play

    Zinedine Zidane has defended Real Madrid's style of play and insisted he will not change his coaching methods amid recent criticism.

    Nacho Fernandez was the unlikely match-winner in Sunday's 1-0 victory over Real Valladolid as Madrid won a third LaLiga game in a row to open a three-point lead over Barcelona at the summit.

    None of Madrid's six league goals in 2020 have been scored by attackers and they struggled to create chances at Estadio Jose Zorrilla.

    But Zidane, who recently acknowledged he may have enjoyed a fair share of luck as a coach, is happy for his side to continue grinding out victories.

    "I don't think the Bernabeu would accept a thousand passes without a shot," he said at a news conference on Tuesday.

    "Everyone has their own style of play. I played at the Bernabeu and what the fans want to see is their team give their all on the field. It has always been that way.

    "When fans see the team sweat for the shirt, that's the most important thing in the end because you can't always win.

    "I always say the same - I will not change. The important thing is the club have given me the chance to train these players. It is a great team and I am lucky to be here.

    "Two months ago things were not going well and there was a lot of criticism - that is not going to change. What we want is to continue what we are doing."

    Madrid are unbeaten in 19 matches in all competitions and travel to Real Zaragoza in the last 16 of the Copa del Rey on Wednesday.

    Los Blancos have won the competition on just two occasions since 1993 and Zidane is desperate to improve on that underwhelming return.

    "I don't think it's a lack of motivation," he said. "I think the motivation is very high. 

    "We must accept that Madrid have won 13 Champions Leagues and we want to change our history in the Copa del Rey.

    "Zaragoza are going to make it difficult for us. We want to give our all on the field. We will not be surprised by them because we know it will be difficult - it is always that way."

    Gareth Bale returned to full training on Tuesday after missing the weekend win over Valladolid with an ankle issue, while Eden Hazard and Marco Asensio continued to train away from the team.

    Asked if Bale could return to the side in midweek, Zidane said: "I have a list of players and later you will see. Everyone wants to be available for the coach.

    "Hazard has started working on the pitch again, but not yet with the team. We will see this week how he is managing his recovery.

    "Before attacking, we must defend and be intense, we are doing quite well but you always have to be ready to prove it."

  • Tottenham complete permanent Giovani Lo Celso signing on deal until 2025 Tottenham complete permanent Giovani Lo Celso signing on deal until 2025

    Tottenham have completed the permanent signing of Giovani Lo Celso, who has signed a contract until 2025.

    Spurs boss Jose Mourinho revealed on Saturday the club were poised to convert the 23-year-old's initial loan move from Real Betis into a full switch, saying the player's form had made it "an easy decision".

    The move was completed on Tuesday, just as the sale of Christian Eriksen to Inter was officially confirmed.

    "We are delighted to announce that we have exercised the option to convert the loan of Giovani Lo Celso from Real Betis to a permanent transfer," read Tottenham's statement.

    "Gio has signed a contract with the club until 2025.

    "The midfielder has produced impressive performances after establishing himself in the team following a hip injury which restricted his playing time in the early part of his loan."

    A superb individual run from Lo Celso helped to set up Spurs' goal as Son Heung-min struck in the 1-1 FA Cup fourth-round draw against Southampton, a game in which he also had a goal disallowed.

    After the impressive performance, Mourinho had said: "It's not an obligation [to sign him], it's an option, but I think the boy is earning the decision. 

    "He's making an easy decision for the club to execute the option. Incredible evolution since I arrived.

    "Barely played a game [before I arrived], I think he played against Red Star Belgrade and with me it was a little bit difficult to come in the first few weeks.

    "But he understood what we wanted. Good learner, good kid and I think by himself he made the decision that the club is going to execute the option. That's normal, he earned it."

  • Ben Arfa signs short-term deal with Real Valladolid Ben Arfa signs short-term deal with Real Valladolid

    Hatem Ben Arfa finally has a new club after agreeing a short-term deal with LaLiga side Real Valladolid.

    Ben Arfa, 32, had been a free agent since leaving Rennes at the end of last season and has moved to Estadio Jose Zorrilla for the remainder of 2019-20.

    A gifted attacking midfielder, Ben Arfa enjoyed good spells with Nice and Rennes either side of a frustrating period at Paris Saint-Germain from 2016 to 2018.

    In 26 Ligue 1 appearances with Rennes last term, the France international – capped 15 times by his country – scored seven goals and set up another two.

    A fine dribbler and creative force, Ben Arfa will be tasked with helping Valladolid avoid relegation, with Sergio's men 16th in LaLiga, five points clear of the bottom three.

    Providing he proves his fitness, he could make his debut at Real Mallorca on Saturday.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.