Suarez's return to Barcelona training takes pressure off Messi

By Sports Desk September 11, 2019

Luis Suarez returned to first-team training at Barcelona on Wednesday to give head coach Ernesto Valverde hope that he could feature against Valencia on Saturday and lessen the need to rush Lionel Messi back from injury.

Suarez is nearing full fitness again after suffering an Achilles tendon injury in Barcelona's defeat to Athletic Bilbao on the opening day of the new LaLiga season.

After missing Barca's subsequent 5-2 win over Real Betis and their 2-2 draw at Osasuna, the Uruguay international trained with the team in the build-up to Valencia's visit to Camp Nou to provide Valverde with a welcome boost to his attacking options.

Messi, meanwhile, had been expected to make his first appearance of the season against Valencia after recovering from a calf injury but Valverde may opt not to risk the 32-year-old if Suarez is available.

The muscle strain sustained on the first day of pre-season training has kept Messi out of Valverde's matchday squads since then, but the Barcelona coach said he hoped to have him back in time to face Valencia.

However, the Spanish champions face a trip to Germany three days after the Valencia game to face Borussia Dortmund in the Champions League and Valverde may give Messi extra rest as he completes his recovery.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn

    Tottenham appear set to soften Christian Eriksen's exit by making their second January signing.

    Almost two weeks after landing Gedson Fernandes on loan, the Premier League side are reportedly on the cusp of capturing Steven Bergwijn from PSV.

    The impending transfer has caused unrest in Eindhoven, where there is said to be animosity towards Spurs.

     

    TOP STORY - SPURS TO SIGN BERGWIJN

    Tottenham are closing in on the €30million (£25.3m) acquisition of Dutch winger Bergwijn, according to the Guardian.

    The 22-year-old, capped nine times at international level, has reportedly travelled to London to finalise the deal.

    PSV's interim head coach Ernest Faber claimed Bergwijn asked to be left out of Sunday's 1-1 Eredivisie draw against Twente, telling reporters: "It's his choice. We only need players who are 100 per cent focused on PSV."

    The former Ajax youth player later clarified his version of events in a video uploaded to his Instagram account, where he insisted he was not a "rat" and that Faber had given his blessing to the switch.

    Bergwijn was linked to Bayern Munich in 2019.

     

    ROUND-UP 

    - It could be Bergwijn in, Eriksen out to begin the week for Spurs. Sky Sport Italia says the Denmark international will ink his Inter contract after undergoing a medical on Monday. 

    - LaLiga side Sevilla are working to sign Milan winger Suso on an initial 18-month loan deal, claims CalcioMercato. 

    - Could former Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain enigma Hatem Ben Arfa finally be about to find a new home? The 32-year-old, a free agent since leaving Rennes, is on the verge of joining Real Valladolid, reports Mundo Deportivo. 

    - Crystal Palace have rejected a bid from PSV bid for £9m-rated left-back Patrick van Aanholt, says the Daily Mail.

    - West Ham and Burnley are monitoring Sampdoria's ex-Leeds United midfielder Ronaldo Vieira, according to the Athletic.

  • Kobe Bryant dead: 'A genius like few others' - Lionel Messi pays tribute to NBA great Kobe Bryant dead: 'A genius like few others' - Lionel Messi pays tribute to NBA great

    "You were a genius like few others". That was the message from Barcelona captain Lionel Messi after the tragic death of Los Angeles Lakers legend Kobe Bryant.

    Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna died following a helicopter crash in Calabasas, California on Sunday, NBA commissioner Adam Silver confirmed.

    Five-time NBA champion Bryant transcended basketball after his selection in the 1996 draft, going on to spend his entire 20-year career with the Lakers.

    Football superstar and six-time Ballon d'Or winner Messi joined the list of mourners, using Instagram to write: "I have no words… all my love for Kobe's family and friends.

    "It was a pleasure to meet you and share good times together. You were a genius like few others."

    Bryant was the face of the Lakers, even after his retirement in 2016.

    The guard earned MVP honours in 2008, while he was named the Most Valuable Player in the 2009 and 2010 NBA Finals.

    Bryant was also an 18-time All-Star to go with numerous other accolades, including two Olympic Games gold medals with the United States.

  • Zidane wants Real Madrid finishing improvements after Nacho hits winner Zidane wants Real Madrid finishing improvements after Nacho hits winner

    Zinedine Zidane called for improvements in Real Madrid's finishing after his side needed a late Nacho goal to clinch a 1-0 victory over Real Valladolid at Estadio Jose Zorrilla on Sunday.

    Nacho connected with a Toni Kroos cross to head Madrid in front after 78 minutes of a tightly contested match to earn Zidane's men a win that moved them three points clear at the top of LaLiga.

    Zidane praised his defence after Valladolid failed to register a shot on target but said more creativity is required to ensure struggling opponents are beaten more convincingly.

    "Defensively, what we are doing, we are doing well. It is our strength," Zidane told reporters. 

    "We defend all and when we lose the ball we recover it very high, and if we keep it we have a good chance of scoring.

    "Nacho scored and that is part of football. We know that we can improve in this aspect.

    "Nacho is a professional. When he has to compete he does well. I'm glad for his goal; he doesn't usually score them but from time-to-time we can also create chances for defenders."

    Zidane refused to be drawn on his side's title chances despite opening up a gap over rivals Barcelona, who lost 2-0 to Valencia on Saturday.

    Madrid have been beaten only once in the league this season but with 17 games remaining, including the visit of Barcelona on March 1, Zidane predicted a tough road ahead.

    "For us, nothing changes," said Zidane. "We are happy with the victory, the work done having fought until the end, but nothing changes. There are 17 games left and we will continue fighting until the end.

    "I don't want to talk about being champions because there is still a lot left to play.

    "It changes nothing to be leaders, they are three important points but nothing more.

    "There are a lot of league games left and it will be difficult for all teams, including us."

    Madrid's next game is at home to city rivals Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.