Marcelino sacked by Valencia

By Sports Desk September 11, 2019

Marcelino has been sacked as Valencia head coach just three matches into the new LaLiga season.

The 54-year-old was dismissed on Wednesday following a reported falling out with club owner Peter Lim.

Former Barcelona and Real Madrid midfielder Albert Celades, who was an assistant coach to Julen Lopetegui at the Santiago Bernabeu last year, has been tipped to take over at Mestalla.

Marcelino was appointed as Valencia boss in May 2017 and led them to a fourth-place finish.

His position came under threat 12 months ago during a difficult start to 2018-19, but the club kept faith in the former Villarreal boss and were rewarded when they ended the season by winning the Copa del Rey final against Barcelona and clinching a Champions League spot.

Valencia have taken four points from three games this term but it was reported in Spain that Lim called club president Anil Murthy for an emergency meeting in Singapore on Wednesday after deciding to sack Marcelino.

A brief statement from Valencia confirming the news said: "The club wants to thank [Marcelino] for your work and dedication during your time in here and wish you the greatest success for the future."

There are also suggestions sporting director Mateu Alemany could be dismissed.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn

    Tottenham appear set to soften Christian Eriksen's exit by making their second January signing.

    Almost two weeks after landing Gedson Fernandes on loan, the Premier League side are reportedly on the cusp of capturing Steven Bergwijn from PSV.

    The impending transfer has caused unrest in Eindhoven, where there is said to be animosity towards Spurs.

     

    TOP STORY - SPURS TO SIGN BERGWIJN

    Tottenham are closing in on the €30million (£25.3m) acquisition of Dutch winger Bergwijn, according to the Guardian.

    The 22-year-old, capped nine times at international level, has reportedly travelled to London to finalise the deal.

    PSV's interim head coach Ernest Faber claimed Bergwijn asked to be left out of Sunday's 1-1 Eredivisie draw against Twente, telling reporters: "It's his choice. We only need players who are 100 per cent focused on PSV."

    The former Ajax youth player later clarified his version of events in a video uploaded to his Instagram account, where he insisted he was not a "rat" and that Faber had given his blessing to the switch.

    Bergwijn was linked to Bayern Munich in 2019.

     

    ROUND-UP 

    - It could be Bergwijn in, Eriksen out to begin the week for Spurs. Sky Sport Italia says the Denmark international will ink his Inter contract after undergoing a medical on Monday. 

    - LaLiga side Sevilla are working to sign Milan winger Suso on an initial 18-month loan deal, claims CalcioMercato. 

    - Could former Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain enigma Hatem Ben Arfa finally be about to find a new home? The 32-year-old, a free agent since leaving Rennes, is on the verge of joining Real Valladolid, reports Mundo Deportivo. 

    - Crystal Palace have rejected a bid from PSV bid for £9m-rated left-back Patrick van Aanholt, says the Daily Mail.

    - West Ham and Burnley are monitoring Sampdoria's ex-Leeds United midfielder Ronaldo Vieira, according to the Athletic.

  • Zidane wants Real Madrid finishing improvements after Nacho hits winner Zidane wants Real Madrid finishing improvements after Nacho hits winner

    Zinedine Zidane called for improvements in Real Madrid's finishing after his side needed a late Nacho goal to clinch a 1-0 victory over Real Valladolid at Estadio Jose Zorrilla on Sunday.

    Nacho connected with a Toni Kroos cross to head Madrid in front after 78 minutes of a tightly contested match to earn Zidane's men a win that moved them three points clear at the top of LaLiga.

    Zidane praised his defence after Valladolid failed to register a shot on target but said more creativity is required to ensure struggling opponents are beaten more convincingly.

    "Defensively, what we are doing, we are doing well. It is our strength," Zidane told reporters. 

    "We defend all and when we lose the ball we recover it very high, and if we keep it we have a good chance of scoring.

    "Nacho scored and that is part of football. We know that we can improve in this aspect.

    "Nacho is a professional. When he has to compete he does well. I'm glad for his goal; he doesn't usually score them but from time-to-time we can also create chances for defenders."

    Zidane refused to be drawn on his side's title chances despite opening up a gap over rivals Barcelona, who lost 2-0 to Valencia on Saturday.

    Madrid have been beaten only once in the league this season but with 17 games remaining, including the visit of Barcelona on March 1, Zidane predicted a tough road ahead.

    "For us, nothing changes," said Zidane. "We are happy with the victory, the work done having fought until the end, but nothing changes. There are 17 games left and we will continue fighting until the end.

    "I don't want to talk about being champions because there is still a lot left to play.

    "It changes nothing to be leaders, they are three important points but nothing more.

    "There are a lot of league games left and it will be difficult for all teams, including us."

    Madrid's next game is at home to city rivals Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

     

  • Lakers legend Kobe Bryant and daughter die in helicopter crash Lakers legend Kobe Bryant and daughter die in helicopter crash

    Los Angeles Lakers great Kobe Bryant, 41, and his 13-year-old daughter Gianna have died in a helicopter crash, NBA commissioner Adam Silver confirmed.

    American news outlet TMZ reported that Bryant and his daughter died in a crash in Calabasas, a city in California, around 10am local time on Sunday. 

    Speaking at a news conference, Los Angeles County sheriff Alex Villanueva announced nine people were on board, though he did not confirm their identities.

    Silver said: "The NBA family is devastated by the tragic passing of Kobe Bryant and his daughter Gianna.

    "For 20 seasons, Kobe showed us what is possible when remarkable talent blends with an absolute devotion to winning. He was one of the most extraordinary players in the history of our game with accomplishments that are legendary: five NBA championships, an NBA MVP award, 18 NBA All-Star selections, and two Olympic gold medals.

    "But he will be remembered most for inspiring people around the world to pick up a basketball and compete to the very best of their ability.

    "He was generous with the wisdom he acquired and saw it as his mission to share it with future generations of players, taking special delight in passing down his love of the game to Gianna.

    "We send our heartfelt condolences to his wife, Vanessa, and their family, the Lakers organisation and the entire sports world."

    TMZ said eyewitness told how they heard the helicopter's engine stuttering before it went down and a fire broke out, with emergency services responding.

    Villanueva provided an update to the media at a news conference alongside Los Angeles County Fire Department chief Daryl Osby but said it would be "inappropriate" to name the deceased.

    "Personnel responded to the scene of the fire, assisted fire department, established containment area," said Villanueva.

    "The FAA [Federal Aviation Administration] is already on scene and assisting. We're awaiting the arrival of the coroner's office to assist with the recovery of the remains. As the chief [Osby] indicated there were no survivors. We have a manifest copy which indicates there were nine people onboard the aircraft – the pilot plus eight individuals. 

    "There is wide speculation as to who the people are but it would be highly inappropriate right now to identify anyone by name until the coroner has made identification through their deliberate process and made notifications to the next of kin.

    "It would be extremely disrespectful to learn your loved one has perished through TMZ, that is just wholly inappropriate so we will not be going there. We'll wait until the coroner does her job.

    "We are assisting the families of those we believe who have been impacted. It's a tough process. Our hope goes out to all of the families of everyone on board and God bless their souls.

    "At this point there is nothing we can add until the coroner does her job. When we have the information and know the rest of kin have been notified, then we can release the information publicly. [The media] will be notified in subsequent announcements."

    Asked if there were nine bodies at the scene, Villanueva replied: "That is our belief, yes."

    Bryant spent his entire 20-year career from 1996 until 2006 with the Lakers.

    He was selected with the 13th overall pick by the Charlotte Hornets in the 1996 draft before being traded to the Lakers.

    The Los Angeles franchise famously retired both of Bryant's jerseys – the numbers eight and 24 – making him the only player in the team's history to receive that honour.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.