Brazil hoping to grow from first defeat since World Cup - Fagner

By Sports Desk September 11, 2019

Fagner called on Brazil to learn from Tuesday's defeat to Peru, although both he and Marquinhos criticised the LA Memorial Coliseum pitch.

Brazil were beaten for the first time since their 2018 World Cup reverse to Belgium, ending a 17-match unbeaten run, as they lost 1-0 to a late Luis Abram goal.

But Fagner insists the South American champions never questioned the threat of their opponents, who they defeated in the Copa America final.

The right-back, who started, with Dani Alves on the bench, hoped Brazil would be able to grow from a rare loss.

"We know the strength of South American football. There is no poor team," Fagner told TV Globo. "We played a consistent game and created chances to score. We were penalised by a set-piece at the end of the game.

"We need to grow and mature as soon as possible with these types of games to improve for the World Cup qualifiers.

"These games have to make us grow as a team. We know the importance of winning, of working calmly towards victory. But we also know that defeats can happen. This has to make us grow."

Fagner added the firm pitch in Los Angeles, used to hosting American football games, "undoubtedly" contributed to the defeat, and team-mate Marquinhos concurred.

"I think it was a very close game. We came from two good games against them and good results," Marquinhos said. "We knew they would come for the result and they did what they had to do.

"The pitch didn't help much. The ball bounced a lot. We tried to force passes through the middle, but both teams misplaced a lot. We knew it was a one-goal game and they were happy from set-pieces."

Related items

  • Man City defender Stones out for a month Man City defender Stones out for a month

    John Stones has been ruled out for a month with a muscle injury, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

    City's defensive options had already been hit by Aymeric Laporte being ruled out for six months by a knee injury, while no replacement was signed for departed club captain Vincent Kompany.

    That left Stones and Nicolas Otamendi as City's only senior centre-backs and the pair looked shaky last time out as the champions went down to their first Premier League defeat since January, losing 3-2 away to promoted Norwich City.

    City will be further stretched for the upcoming period after Guardiola told reporters ahead of a Champions League trip to Shakhtar Donetsk that Stones was injured in training on Tuesday.

    "A month, four or five weeks," Guardiola said when asked how long Stones would be out.

    Guardiola previously indicated full-back Kyle Walker and defensive midfielder Fernandinho - an unused substitute against the Canaries - could be options in the heart of City's defence.

    The City boss said he could also turn to teenage duo Eric Garcia and Taylor Harwood-Bellis to address the growing injury crisis at the back.

    "[It is a] Big challenge. For me as a manager, it's an incredible challenge: just one central defender in Nico," he added.

    "But I believe a lot. People don't know the spirit and resolve to solve this problem. The players are going to come back with Fernandinho, Garcia, Harwood-Bellis.

    "It's happened, but what we are not going to do is complain. If they are not able, they are not able. We have to have 11 players on the pitch, and I like it, finding a solution."

    Stones will likely miss Premier League games against Watford, Everton and Wolves at least as well as an EFL Cup trip to Preston North End and a Champions League home game against Dinamo Zagreb.

    City will also be without Phil Foden against Shakhtar, with Guardiola confirming: "He has a virus, a problem with the stomach. He's not able [to play] this game or I think the next."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Man City defender Stones out for a month BREAKING NEWS: Man City defender Stones out for a month

    John Stones has been ruled out for a month with a muscle injury, Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has confirmed.

    City's defensive options had already been hit by Aymeric Laporte being ruled out for six months by a knee injury, while no replacement was signed for departed club captain Vincent Kompany.

    That left Stones and Nicolas Otamendi as City's only senior centre-backs and the pair looked shaky last time out as City went down to their first Premier League defeat since January, losing 3-2 away to promoted Norwich City.

    City will be further stretched for the upcoming period after Guardiola told reporters ahead of a Champions League trip to Shakhtar Donetsk that Stones was injured in training on Tuesday.

    "A month, four or five weeks," Guardiola said when asked how long Stones would be out.

  • Birmingham fined £42,500 over Grealish incident Birmingham fined £42,500 over Grealish incident

    Birmingham City have been fined £42,500 by the Football Association (FA) after Jack Grealish was attacked by a fan during the derby clash with Aston Villa in March.

    Grealish was punched by a supporter, who was later sentenced to 14 weeks in prison and handed a 10-year ban from football matches, as Villa beat Birmingham in the Championship en route to promotion.

    Birmingham issued Grealish an apology and banned the perpetrator for life, with the FA now confirming the club's punishment over the incident.

    "An independent regulatory commission has fined Birmingham City £42,500 and warned them as to their future conduct," said the FA's statement.

    "The club submitted it used all due diligence but was found to have failed to ensure that its spectator[s], and all persons purporting to be its supporters or followers, conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and/or refrained from improper and/or violent behaviour and/or refrained from encroaching onto the pitch area during the EFL Championship fixture against Aston Villa on 10 March 2019."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.