EPL

Tottenham lose new signing Lo Celso until end of October after hip injury

By Sports Desk September 10, 2019

Tottenham midfielder Giovani Lo Celso has been ruled out until late October after suffering a hip injury on international duty.

The 23-year-old was the target of several heavy challenges during Argentina's bruising 0-0 friendly draw against Chile in Los Angeles last week and had to be withdrawn in the 53rd minute.

Charles Aranguiz caught the Spurs loanee with a crude studs-up challenge but Lo Celso later claimed the blow to his ankle was "nothing to worry about".

A statement on Tottenham's official website on Tuesday read: "He will now undergo a period of rehabilitation and is expected to return to training with the first team towards the end of October."

Lo Celso joined Spurs from Real Betis on August 8 on an initial loan deal which can be made permanent at the end of the season, but has been restricted to just three substitute appearances so far in the Premier League.

Speaking a fortnight after his signing, boss Mauricio Pochettino said he was "still so far away from what we expect from him" and "we won't expect too much from him".

Related items

  • Eriksen arrives in Milan ahead of Inter move Eriksen arrives in Milan ahead of Inter move

    Christian Eriksen has arrived in Milan ahead of an expected transfer to Inter from Tottenham.

    The Denmark international touched down on Monday and is due to undergo a medical with the Nerazzurri.

    Inter are expected to pay a €20million fee for the 27-year-old, whose Spurs contract runs out at the end of the 2019-20 season.

    Eriksen will reportedly sign a contract until June 2024 that could be worth €380,000 per week including add-ons.

    His future has been one of the sagas of the transfer window, with Inter initially unable to agree a deal with Spurs despite the risk of Eriksen leaving for free at the end of the season.

    Spurs head coach Jose Mourinho admitted after the 1-1 FA Cup draw with Southampton on Saturday that the protracted nature of the talks had left him frustrated.

    "It is not Tottenham's fault that on the 25th of January we are in the situation," he said.

    "The only thing I can say is Eriksen, since I arrived, he is behaving in a very, very professional way, with me and the team.

    "Tottenham is the last one to blame for this situation, but to be on the 25th of January in a situation like this is not nice."

    Spurs also confirmed on Monday that Brandon Austin is to join Viborg on loan until the end of the season.

    The 21-year-old goalkeeper, who signed a new Spurs deal running to 2022 in December, will move to Denmark subject to international clearance.

  • Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn Rumour Has It: Tottenham close in on PSV winger Bergwijn

    Tottenham appear set to soften Christian Eriksen's exit by making their second January signing.

    Almost two weeks after landing Gedson Fernandes on loan, the Premier League side are reportedly on the cusp of capturing Steven Bergwijn from PSV.

    The impending transfer has caused unrest in Eindhoven, where there is said to be animosity towards Spurs.

     

    TOP STORY - SPURS TO SIGN BERGWIJN

    Tottenham are closing in on the €30million (£25.3m) acquisition of Dutch winger Bergwijn, according to the Guardian.

    The 22-year-old, capped nine times at international level, has reportedly travelled to London to finalise the deal.

    PSV's interim head coach Ernest Faber claimed Bergwijn asked to be left out of Sunday's 1-1 Eredivisie draw against Twente, telling reporters: "It's his choice. We only need players who are 100 per cent focused on PSV."

    The former Ajax youth player later clarified his version of events in a video uploaded to his Instagram account, where he insisted he was not a "rat" and that Faber had given his blessing to the switch.

    Bergwijn was linked to Bayern Munich in 2019.

     

    ROUND-UP 

    - It could be Bergwijn in, Eriksen out to begin the week for Spurs. Sky Sport Italia says the Denmark international will ink his Inter contract after undergoing a medical on Monday. 

    - LaLiga side Sevilla are working to sign Milan winger Suso on an initial 18-month loan deal, claims CalcioMercato. 

    - Could former Newcastle United and Paris Saint-Germain enigma Hatem Ben Arfa finally be about to find a new home? The 32-year-old, a free agent since leaving Rennes, is on the verge of joining Real Valladolid, reports Mundo Deportivo. 

    - Crystal Palace have rejected a bid from PSV bid for £9m-rated left-back Patrick van Aanholt, says the Daily Mail.

    - West Ham and Burnley are monitoring Sampdoria's ex-Leeds United midfielder Ronaldo Vieira, according to the Athletic.

  • Zidane wants Real Madrid finishing improvements after Nacho hits winner Zidane wants Real Madrid finishing improvements after Nacho hits winner

    Zinedine Zidane called for improvements in Real Madrid's finishing after his side needed a late Nacho goal to clinch a 1-0 victory over Real Valladolid at Estadio Jose Zorrilla on Sunday.

    Nacho connected with a Toni Kroos cross to head Madrid in front after 78 minutes of a tightly contested match to earn Zidane's men a win that moved them three points clear at the top of LaLiga.

    Zidane praised his defence after Valladolid failed to register a shot on target but said more creativity is required to ensure struggling opponents are beaten more convincingly.

    "Defensively, what we are doing, we are doing well. It is our strength," Zidane told reporters. 

    "We defend all and when we lose the ball we recover it very high, and if we keep it we have a good chance of scoring.

    "Nacho scored and that is part of football. We know that we can improve in this aspect.

    "Nacho is a professional. When he has to compete he does well. I'm glad for his goal; he doesn't usually score them but from time-to-time we can also create chances for defenders."

    Zidane refused to be drawn on his side's title chances despite opening up a gap over rivals Barcelona, who lost 2-0 to Valencia on Saturday.

    Madrid have been beaten only once in the league this season but with 17 games remaining, including the visit of Barcelona on March 1, Zidane predicted a tough road ahead.

    "For us, nothing changes," said Zidane. "We are happy with the victory, the work done having fought until the end, but nothing changes. There are 17 games left and we will continue fighting until the end.

    "I don't want to talk about being champions because there is still a lot left to play.

    "It changes nothing to be leaders, they are three important points but nothing more.

    "There are a lot of league games left and it will be difficult for all teams, including us."

    Madrid's next game is at home to city rivals Atletico Madrid on Saturday.

     

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.