Can asserts Juventus commitment despite being omitted from Champions League squad

By Sports Desk September 04, 2019

Emre Can says he is still committed to Juventus after an initial angry reaction to being left out of the club's squad for the group stage of the Champions League.

The midfielder and Mario Mandzukic were notable absentees from Maurizio Sarri's group, with new signings Adrien Rabiot and Aaron Ramsey among those preferred.

Before training with Germany on Wednesday, Can confirmed he had held talks with Rabiot's former club Paris Saint-Germain over a transfer to the Ligue 1 champions before Monday's deadline.

The 25-year-old said he was "extremely shocked" at being omitted by Juve, adding: "I got a call yesterday. The phone call was not even one minute long."

However, Can appears to regret making those comments as he used social media to clarify the situation later in the day.

"I will always be grateful to Juventus and how they supported and stood by me since I am part of the club, particularly during my time of illness," he posted on Twitter.

"Out of respect to Juventus and my team-mates, whose success has always been my first priority, I won't say anything more and will continue fighting on the pitch."

Can, who has only played 30 minutes in Serie A this term, made six Champions League appearances for Juve last term.

Juve have been drawn in Group D alongside LaLiga leaders Atletico Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen and Lokomotiv Moscow.

Related items

  • Arsenal boss Emery was there when Watford sacked Gracia Arsenal boss Emery was there when Watford sacked Gracia

    Arsenal boss Unai Emery has revealed how a chance encounter with Javi Gracia in Spain coincided with his former team-mate's dismissal from Watford.

    Gracia lost his job following a run of one draw and three defeats to start the Premier League season.

    The ex-Osasuna, Malaga and Rubin Kazan head coach had travelled to his homeland during the international break and bumped into Emery in the Basque region.

    The pair were discussing the forthcoming fixture between their teams when news of Watford's decision came through.

    "It's amazing," Emery said. "I met him, we found each other last week in my town, in Hondarribia, when I was there with my family.

    "I was walking and in front of us was Javi Gracia.

    "And in the moment we started speaking about our match, and we finished it knowing he was sacked. It's a good story, yes?"

    Gracia and Emery shared the Real Sociedad dressing room as players in the mid-1990s and their relationship played a part in the latter's appointment at Arsenal in 2018.

    "When the possibility opened up to sign here, the first coach, the first person in the football world I called was him," Emery said.

    "I asked him some questions about the football here, the clubs, Arsenal and he recommended to me that I come here."

    Emery added: "He is a very good coach, as he showed last year in Watford. The club decided [to part company with him] and I have to respect that.

    "He is going to work and he is going to continue his career like he is, like a great coach."

    Watford, FA Cup finalists last season, immediately turned to Quique Sanchez Flores to fill the post.

    Flores coached the club during the 2015-16 season and commences his second stint in charge at home to Arsenal on Sunday.

  • Rumour Has It: Inter Miami meet with Messi's dad Rumour Has It: Inter Miami meet with Messi's dad

    Inter Miami are continuing their stunning bid to sign Lionel Messi.

    Messi, 32, can reportedly leave Barcelona at the end of any season for a club outside of Europe despite being contracted at the LaLiga champions until 2021.

    Linked with a shock switch to David Beckham's MLS outfit Inter Miami, the club are continuing to make moves for the Argentina superstar.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER MIAMI REPRESENTATIVE MEETS MESSI'S DAD

    Beckham sent Inter Miami sporting director Paul McDonough to London for talks with Messi's dad Jorge, according to The Sun.

    Inter Miami are set to enter MLS in 2020 and are looking for a big-name signing, with Messi undoubtedly the biggest of the names linked.

    It comes just days after Messi said in an interview with Sport that he wanted to remain at Camp Nou for "as long as possible".

    ROUND-UP

    - Real Madrid could chase Manchester United midfielder Paul Pogba again in January. Sport Bild reports Real Madrid are planning to use Toni Kroos in an exchange deal to land the France international, who was heavily linked with a switch during the close season.

    - Sadio Mane re-signed with Liverpool until 2023 less than 12 months ago, but the European champions are already looking for the attacker to recommit. Liverpool have opened talks with Mane for an extension, according to Soccer Link.

    - Seemingly unwanted at Juventus, Mario Mandzukic's future remains a talking point. Qatari club Al-Gharafa have offered €6million net per year to the striker and can meet Juve's demands, according to CalcioMercato, which reports Los Angeles FC are also interested in the Croatian despite the MLS transfer window not reopening until February.

    - Inter are already looking to lock down a couple of stars. CalcioMercato reports the Serie A giants want to extend the contracts of goalkeeper Samir Handanovic – until 2022 – and forward Lautaro Martinez until 2024. The report says Inter would also double Martinez's salary from €1.5m to €3m per season amid interest from Barcelona.

    - Sam Allardyce is ready for a return to management. The Sun reports the former England boss, who left Everton in May last year, is eyeing a return to Sunderland if the reported takeover by an American consortium is completed.

  • Inter must be more clinical, says Conte Inter must be more clinical, says Conte

    Antonio Conte has called on Inter to be more clinical after they only managed a 1-0 victory over 10-man Udinese on Saturday.

    Inter moved to the top of Serie A, two points clear of Juventus, as their third win in as many matches was secured by Stefano Sensi's first-half header.

    Sensi's goal followed Rodrigo De Paul being shown a red card, after referee Maurizio Mariani reviewed footage of him striking Antonio Candreva on the head away from the ball.

    Romelu Lukaku failed to have a single shot at goal, while Alexis Sanchez was brought on for his debut with just 10 minutes remaining as the Nerazzurri scraped through.

    "I congratulated the lads because it was a very difficult match against a strong team and these three points are important. We deserved them but must also recognise Udinese did well to stay in the game until the end," Conte told DAZN.

    "We should've been more clinical and finished it off earlier, but instead we were always just hanging on.

    "We know we have to fight. I read too much rubbish in the papers. We must go our own way without thinking about anything or anyone else. The truth is nothing is easy and we will never take anything for granted.

    "I had warned the players that Udinese would take a very defensive approach and we had to be careful on counter-attacks. We've got to start moves from the back and we achieved that against a team that will cause problems for many opponents this season.

    "We've got a long road ahead of us, we have a lot of work to do and won't get caught up in the euphoria, we are laying the groundwork. We want to be a tough team."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.