Jovic ready to answer biggest demands at Real Madrid

By Sports Desk September 03, 2019

Luka Jovic said he is ready to answer the biggest demands at Real Madrid following a slow start to life in the Spanish capital.

Jovic – who scored 27 goals last season – is still settling in after joining Madrid from Bundesliga outfit Eintracht Frankfurt in a reported €60million deal.

An injury in pre-season set Jovic back, while the Serbia international is yet to score for the LaLiga giants in three appearances.

Jovic, though, did help set up a goal with a stunning flick in his first LaLiga start as Madrid drew 2-2 at Villarreal prior to the international break.

Asked about his start to the season with Madrid, the 21-year-old told reporters: "After the pre-season, of course it's getting better now.

"I was injured, it was that red card when I had to come off against Arsenal [in the first half of the International Champions Cup clash after Nacho Fernandez was sent off].

"It's not easy for one young player, but I think I handled it in the best way possible and I'm ready to answer the biggest demands."

Jovic fronted the media ahead of Serbia's Euro 2020 qualifying showdown against Portugal in Belgrade.

Serbia play host to Portugal and Cristiano Ronaldo, with the Balkan nation third in Group B, six points behind leaders Ukraine and two clear of Saturday's visitors.

There will also be a new head coach on the sidelines after Ljubisa Tumbakovic replaced Mladen Krstajic, who was sacked after June's 4-1 rout of Lithuania following their 5-0 humiliation against Ukraine.

"As far as I know, we play 11 on 11, we don't just play against Ronaldo," Jovic said. "We will prepare for the whole team, not just Ronaldo.

"He is certainly their best individual, but they have many more interesting players who can make a problem. It will be necessary to be concentrated and disciplined as much as possible to achieve a positive result."

Related items

  • Dembele appeal rejected but winger available for postponed Clasico Dembele appeal rejected but winger available for postponed Clasico

    Barcelona's appeal to have Ousmane Dembele's two-game ban reduced to one has been rejected by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

    Dembele was sent off in the closing minutes of Barca's 4-0 LaLiga win over Sevilla this month following a confrontation with referee Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz, who had just given debutant Ronald Araujo a red card for a foul on Javier Hernandez.

    Barcelona's initial appeal against Dembele's red card was dismissed and he was ruled out of the club's next two league matches.

    With the France forward seemingly set to miss the Clasico against Real Madrid, which had been scheduled for October 26, Barca then attempted to have his ban halved.

    Their efforts proved in vain but Dembele will now be available for the first LaLiga Clasico of the season, with the fixture having been postponed due to safety concerns amid the ongoing political tensions and protests in Catalonia.

    Instead, the former Borussia Dortmund star will miss Saturday's match against Eibar and the meeting with Real Valladolid a week on Tuesday.

    The Camp Nou Clasico appears set to be played on December 18 after both Barca and Madrid proposed the date on Friday.

    Dembele has made three league appearances for Barca this season, scoring once - against Sevilla.

  • Bulgaria boss Balakov quits as fallout from England clash continues Bulgaria boss Balakov quits as fallout from England clash continues

    Krasimir Balakov has resigned as head coach of Bulgaria four days on from the 6-0 Euro 2020 qualifying loss to England that was marred by racist abuse.

    The Bulgarian Football Union (BFU) confirmed Balakov's departure following a meeting of its executive committee on Friday.

    In a statement, the BFU attributed the 53-year-old's resignation to substandard performances.

    Bulgaria succumbed to a heavy defeat against the Three Lions in Sofia but not before their supporters subjected England players to racist chants, which forced the match to twice be halted in the first half.

    "The performance of Bulgaria's men's national team in recent months has been described as unsatisfactory, which is why the national coach Krasimir Balakov resigned, which was accepted by the members of the [executive committee]," the BFU's statement read.

    Balakov initially said he did not hear the abuse directed at England's players at Vasil Levski National Stadium but later apologised to Gareth Southgate's squad and condemned the behaviour of the fans responsible.

    "I would like to say very clearly: since there were cases of racial discrimination in Sofia, I would like to sincerely apologise to the English footballers and to all those who felt offended," Balakov wrote in a letter posted to his official Facebook page.

    Balakov's decision to quit after five months in charge follows that of BFU president Borislav Mihaylov, who was urged to stand down by Bulgarian prime minister Boyko Borissov.

    The organisation's former vice-president Mikhail Kasabov has been temporarily installed as Mihaylov's replacement after two others rejected the opportunity, with an extraordinary congress to elect a new board on the agenda.

    The BFU is facing disciplinary proceedings from UEFA in response to the ugly scenes at Monday's match, during which several supporters appeared to perform Nazi salutes.

  • Umtiti and Junior fit to return for Barcelona at Eibar Umtiti and Junior fit to return for Barcelona at Eibar

    Samuel Umtiti and Junior Firpo have been passed fit to play a part in Barcelona's LaLiga clash with Eibar on Saturday.

    Centre-back Umtiti is yet to feature this season and has been out for the past six weeks with a foot injury.

    Meanwhile, versatile left-back Junior last featured in the 2-0 win over Getafe on September 28, scoring his first Barca goal, before a hamstring complaint.

    Both players were named in Thursday's travelling squad and then took part in Friday's training session ahead of the early kick-off on Saturday.

    The LaLiga champions, who are second in the table after three straight wins, confirmed the duo had been cleared to play.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.