Sergi Roberto 'p***** off' as Barcelona are held at Osasuna

By Sports Desk August 31, 2019

Sergi Roberto was left "p***** off" as Barcelona fought back against Osasuna only to draw 2-2 in Saturday's LaLiga meeting at El Sadar.

Ernesto Valverde's side were behind after only seven minutes thanks to Roberto Torres' strike, but they were 2-1 ahead early in the second half through a good finish from Arthur after Ansu Fati had become their youngest LaLiga goalscorer.

However, Torres snatched a point with nine minutes to play, scoring from the penalty spot after Gerard Pique was punished for blocking a cross with a raised arm.

It means Barca have taken only four points from their first three games of 2019-20, their worst return at this stage of a season since Pep Guardiola's first term in charge in 2008-09 – although that year they recovered to win the treble.

Roberto was feeling hugely frustrated at full-time after Barca had worked hard to go ahead in the absence of the injured attacking trio Lionel Messi, Luis Suarez and Ousmane Dembele.

"We're p***** off, we're angry," he told Movistar.

"We did the most difficult thing, we equalised and then went ahead, and then we couldn't control the game.

"It was difficult for us to have control in the first half, to get to their goal. They closed up a lot, they had their fans, and we couldn't get control.

"We know there are pitches like this where they press a lot and if you don't get really stuck in, it can cost you. It's what happened to us."

Referee Juan Martinez Munuera appeared unwilling to give the penalty but pointed to the spot after advice from his assistant.

Roberto is not sure whether the decision was correct or not and is more concerned with getting Barca's league campaign back on track after the international break.

"I haven't seen the penalty clearly. I don't know if he [Pique] had time to move away," he said.

"The good thing is there is a long way to go, but this is a message for us not to relax, and to get stuck in from the first minute."

Barca next face Valencia on September 14, when it is expected Messi will be ready to return to action.

Related items

  • Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga

    Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has the support of the club after the spat between his wife Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney, manager Brendan Rodgers has said.

    Coleen Rooney, wife of England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney, last week alleged that stories about her personal life had been leaked to a newspaper by someone with access to Rebekah Vardy's Instagram account.

    By changing her privacy settings to mean only those logged in on Rebekah Vardy's account could view her Instagram stories, Coleen Rooney said she posted a series of fabricated tales about her personal life which made their way into print.

    Rebekah Vardy strenuously denied any involvement in passing on details to The Sun newspaper and hit back at Coleen Rooney.

    Rooney was nicknamed 'WAGatha Christie' by British media for the elaborate way in which she claimed to have worked out how the stories reached the public domain.

    Rebekah Vardy blamed "various people having access to my insta" and said she was "disgusted" to have to deny involvement at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

    The unusual saga came during football's international break. Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy are former England team-mates but have retired from playing for their country.

    Rodgers addressed the matter at a news conference on Thursday and said: "It's something that is personal and outside of our remit. All we ever offer is support to the players and their families.

    "I was aware of what went on last week. I actually gave Jamie an extra few days away with his family to have a rest and I'm sure that was a difficult week for them. We're here to support him, and his family if they need it."

    Rodgers added: "I spoke to Jamie earlier on in the week. He has trained fine and been great this week."

    Wayne Rooney, who is also Manchester United's record scorer, will return to English football following his time with MLS team DC United when he joins Championship club Derby County in January.

    Jamie Vardy has scored five Premier League goals for Leicester this season, with Rodgers' men riding high in fourth position. They play Burnley on Saturday.

  • Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict

    A decision on whether next week's Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid can go ahead at Camp Nou is set to be made on Thursday, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales said.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona at the start of the week after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca are due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

    Barcelona's main airport was briefly closed on Tuesday due to the tension, with Spanish league officials raising concern the Clasico could be affected by protests.

    One option would be to move the game to Madrid and for Barca to host the second Clasico of the season, but that was opposed by Blaugrana head coach Ernesto Valverde on Thursday.

    There have also been suggestions the match should be postponed and an alternative date in the calendar found. Valverde thinks the game should go ahead as planned.

    Rubiales said Barca and Madrid swiftly submitted their observations on the matter and the RFEF would be seeking to make an early decision.

    "I can assure that we will work to try to have a resolution this evening, because there are people involved, supporters with booked trips, tickets, media, and that is what we have done," Rubiales said.

    "Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide. So the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one or another thing."

  • Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match Roma coach Fonseca's touchline ban reduced to one match

    Roma coach Paulo Fonseca has had his Serie A touchline ban reduced from two matches to one.

    Fonseca was handed a two-game ban by the Lega Serie A after continuing to aggressively shout at referee Davide Massa following his dismissal in Roma's 1-1 draw with Cagliari on October 6.

    However, the 46-year-old appealed the decision and will now only miss one game - Sunday's trip to Sampdoria - before returning to the dugout for next week's home meeting with AC Milan.

    Roma, who confirmed the news on their official Twitter page on Thursday, sit fifth in Serie A ahead of their return to action this weekend.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.