Zidane pleads for fans' support despite extra pressure at Real Madrid

By Sports Desk August 24, 2019

Zinedine Zidane urged Real Madrid fans to stay on side as he recognises the team are under more pressure this term because of last season's troubles.

Madrid played their first home match of the 2019-20 campaign on Saturday but were held to a shock 1-1 draw by Real Valladolid.

Karim Benzema scored what Madrid thought to be the winner in the 82nd minute, but Sergi Guardiola struck his second goal of the season even later to salvage a commendable point for the visitors.

Little has gone the way of Madrid – or Zidane – in recent months, with their close season marred by the ugly Gareth Bale transfer saga, poor friendly performances and uncertainty around some of the new signings.

Having finished last season 19 points adrift of Barcelona, Zidane knows the pressure has increased again this season and he is pleading for fans to lend their backing.

When asked if the team is under more scrutiny because of last term, Zidane said: "I noticed it at the Bernabeu - the crowd [feels the pressure] too.

"The fans also have to help us. There's no choice. I know it is difficult, but I'm asking because they have also taken advantage of our successes. We will try everything on our part."

Madrid are next in league action on September 1, when they travel to Villarreal.

Related items

  • West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan

    West Ham goalkeeper Roberto has signed for Deportivo Alaves on loan for the rest of the season after a disappointing first six months in the Premier League.

    The 33-year-old was brought to London Stadium on a free transfer at the end of May as a back-up to established number one Lukasz Fabianski, signing a two-year deal.

    But an early hip injury for Fabianski handed Roberto his opportunity in the first team.

    The Spaniard played eight times in the league but was at fault for a number of goals during a slump in form and was eventually replaced by David Martin.

    Fabianski suffered another injury earlier this month, yet West Ham have brought back Darren Randolph from Middlesbrough in a reported £4million transfer.

    Roberto has subsequently been allowed to return to LaLiga on a temporary deal.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo BREAKING NEWS: Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo

    Real Madrid have completed the signing of Brazilian teenager Reinier Jesus from Flamengo.

    The attacker has long been linked with a €30million switch to Madrid, with reports previously suggesting he would sign after turning 18 on January 19.

    Reinier's arrival was subsequently confirmed on Monday, agreeing a six-and-a-half-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    He scored six goals in 14 appearances for Flamengo in Brazil's Serie A last year.

  • Neville calls for Woodward to go as Man Utd woes deepen Neville calls for Woodward to go as Man Utd woes deepen

    Gary Neville says the state of Manchester United's squad is "unforgiveable" given the spending levels at Old Trafford and has called for executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward to go.

    United lost to arch-rivals Liverpool on Sunday, a defeat far more convincing than the 2-0 result suggests, and are now 30 points adrift of the runaway leaders, who are closing in on their first top-flight title in 30 years.

    Neville, who won eight Premier League titles during United's reign of dominance under Alex Ferguson, is dismayed and angry at the club's slump and believes now is the time for the Glazer family, who own the club, to act.

    He told the Gary Neville podcast: "I can’t believe the investment that’s been put into the squad in the last five, six, seven years and you end up with that out on the pitch.

    "I saw a statistic two weeks ago that United have the second-highest wage bill in the world. And that’s the squad they’ve got. It’s unforgivable, it really is.

    "I can’t change the ownership of United, no one can. I’m struggling to understand why the ownership have persisted in trusting that management team to oversee the building of a Premier League title winning team since Sir Alex left.

    "If you don’t lose your job for essentially overseeing that investment, that wage bill, and putting that team out on the pitch then I have to say something is really wrong.

    "There’s real talent in that executive team but in terms of what the club needed to do for a number of years, it's put the best in class football operators into that club and they’re not doing it. They’re not doing it and it’s a mess."

    United are still operating without a director of football while doubts persist over the suitability of manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

    A long-term plan is required but Neville is not convinced the club have the personnel to carry it out.

    He added: "Somewhere in the background at United someone has to be plotting the downfall of Liverpool and getting back above them.

    "That’s going to take wise, smart, good people, and I’m not sure they’re there."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.