EPL

Abraham 'over the moon' after dream double ends Chelsea drought

By Sports Desk August 24, 2019

Tammy Abraham described scoring for Chelsea as a boyhood dream after his brace at Norwich City secured a breakthrough Premier League victory for Frank Lampard.

Recalled in place of Olivier Giroud, striker Abraham justified his coach's faith by netting twice in a 3-2 thriller at Carrow Road on Saturday.

The goals were his first for the club he joined as a junior and ended Lampard's winless start as Maurizio Sarri's successor.

Abraham opened the scoring in the third minute and finally finished off a vibrant Norwich with the only goal of the second half, his pace on the counter-attack catching out the Canaries.

"It's something I've always dreamed about doing," the 21-year-old told BT Sport.

"I've always wanted to play for my childhood club, be in the first team and score. That's what I did today so I'm over the moon."

Abraham has been one of the chief beneficiaries of Lampard's dedication to young players during the early part of his tenure.

Another, Mason Mount, scored for the second time in as many matches, the midfielder's emphatic finish sandwiched between goals from Todd Cantwell in Teemu Pukki during a pulsating four-goal first half.

Lampard will have concerns over the quality of his side's defending but Abraham admitted points were needed in any manner possible following the defeat to Manchester United and draw with Leicester City.

"I wouldn't say [it's a] relief but we knew we needed to win," the former Aston Villa loanee added.

"The first two games of the season weren't easy.

"We knew this game was very important, to get the first three points was massive for us."

Related items

  • Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City

    Fernandinho will not be leaving Manchester City at the end of the season after the Brazilian secured a one-year contract extension.

    The 34-year-old was seemingly set to depart in July, with his previous deal approaching its conclusion, but City have ensured he will be around for at least another season.

    An intelligent combative midfielder, Fernandinho joined City from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 and has been a revelation, appearing in at least 29 Premier League matches in every campaign.

    He has remained a key figure this term, playing 20 of the champions' 24 top-flight games, filling in at centre-back for many of those due to City's defensive injury crisis.

    And choosing to remain at the club for another season was a straightforward decision.

    "It was easy," he told City's official website.

    "There is a time in your life when you don't think just about yourself, but especially about your family and your kids. They were one of the reasons I decided to sign another contract.

    "I am happy, my family is happy, so I hope the City fans are happy as well."

    City are already set to lose David Silva this year, with the Spaniard previously confirming his plan to return to Spain to be closer to his family.

    Fernandinho has won three Premier League titles at City, though he looks unlikely to add to that tally this season with Liverpool 16 points clear of Pep Guardiola's men at the summit.

  • Liverpool must make a stand or nothing changes - Klopp defends FA Cup stance Liverpool must make a stand or nothing changes - Klopp defends FA Cup stance

    Jurgen Klopp defended his decision to rest players and not take charge of Liverpool's upcoming FA Cup fourth-round replay with Shrewsbury Town, insisting he is taking a stand for the good of English football.

    Liverpool were held to a 2-2 draw by Shrewsbury at the New Meadow on Sunday, meaning the League One side will play a lucrative replay at Anfield next week.

    But that match is due to fall within the Premier League's inaugural mid-season break, when Klopp had promised his senior players they would be afforded time off to recover before the campaign's final push.

    Klopp received criticism for his decision, with some suggesting he was disrespecting the FA Cup and others calling him "lazy", but the German will not renege on his promises.

    Speaking ahead of Wednesday's Premier League meeting with West Ham, Klopp launched a lengthy and impassioned defence of his plans.

    He said: "I have to make decisions based on the situation we are in, some people made other decisions before the season. Whoever it was – and okay, the FA tried to do something with moving games to midweek to decrease intensity – but it came out and whoever was involved, if someone from our club was involved and forgot to say no, I don't know exactly how it was discussed.

    "The situation ends up, we are given two weeks [off]. In the first moment I thought, okay, two weeks, but it was not clear which week you get, and then we started going a bit into it and then we saw if we get the second week we probably get a Champions League game in that week.

    "We cannot make then a week off and say there are two days to prepare for Atletico Madrid in this case, so the other week was the first week, for the Champions League teams it's the better week as there's no Champions League games.

    "And then it came up, 'Oh, there could be a potential [FA Cup] replay.' Because we plan in the long term, I cannot plan like this [at short notice], especially in a really decisive period of the season coming up, so I decided we will have a mid-season break, based on a letter [from the FA] that we got in April 2019 when we were asked to respect a mid-season break.

    "I know how it sounds now and I don't want to be in the middle of all discussions, I'm not a revolution guy or trying to show the whole world how strong I can be or whatever, it's not the reason. If people think that I'm lazy because I'm not here [for the match], I cannot change that.

    "People can name me whatever, I'm not too interested in that because the only responsibility I have is for my players, and for all the [Premier League] players as well.

    "If we react now in the way we always react, like, 'We have to sort it somehow, we'll be here and find a way to do it,' then nothing will change. I think all people in football agree that something has to change, and people have to speak.

    "I don't know who was there [at the FA meeting to discuss the mid-season break], I know the FA said all the clubs agreed, but no sports-responsible people were there. There was not a manager or a sporting director there, that's what we need, that must change as well, otherwise next year we have exactly the same.

    "I made a decision and now it looks like people want something different from me, so I cannot do what all the people want. Could I be here for the game? Of course I could, but that's again a complete misunderstanding of managing and coaching.

    "The mid-season break is now something that has to be settled for the next years and all the different parties need to find a solution, so it will not be like this year again, where it's possible that you have one [a break], but you may not.

    "We do it to make a clear standpoint, and again, if people call me lazy or disrespectful to cup competitions, it's all not true.

    "Every year we are trying to find our way through the season and it's absolutely okay, it's our job, but if then part of these long-term plans is a mid-season break, then it has to be a mid-season break and you cannot get it [taken] away a week before you have it. That's not possible."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City BREAKING NEWS: Fernandinho signs one-year contract extension with Man City

    Fernandinho will not be leaving Manchester City at the end of the season after the Brazilian secured a one-year contract extension.

    The 34-year-old was seemingly set to depart in July, with his previous deal approaching its conclusion, but City have ensured he will be around for at least another season.

    An intelligent combative midfielder, Fernandinho joined City from Shakhtar Donetsk in 2013 and has been a revelation, appearing in at least 29 Premier League matches in every campaign.

    He has remained a key figure this term, playing 20 of the champions' 24 top-flight games, filling in at centre-back for many of those due to City's defensive injury crisis.

    City are already set to lose David Silva this year, with the Spaniard previously confirming his plan to return to Spain to be closer to his family.

    Fernandinho has won three Premier League titles at City, though he looks unlikely to add to that tally this season with Liverpool 16 points clear of Pep Guardiola's men at the summit.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.