EPL

Pochettino ready to welcome back Son but pleads patience for Lo Celso

By Sports Desk August 23, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino says Son Heung-min will be ready to take on Newcastle United after serving a Premier League suspension, but warned fans not to expect too much too soon from Giovani Lo Celso.

Son missed Spurs' first two games of the new season due to a ban after he was sent off against Bournemouth at the end of last term, while Lo Celso made his debut in a short cameo at Manchester City last weekend.

The South Korea star hit 12 league goals in 2018-19, a campaign disrupted by the Asian Games, where he led his country to glory and avoided being called up for military service as a result, and their subsequent run to the Asian Cup quarter-finals.

Son's availability to face Newcastle on Sunday comes with Tanguy Ndombele ruled out by a thigh injury, while England midfielder Dele Alli has returned to training after a hamstring problem.

"Unlucky for him that [the ban] was over the holiday," Pochettino told a news conference. "I think he was training really, really hard to keep fit and improve in different areas. We are happy in the last few weeks he was unbelievable in the way he was available to train and compete in every single training session and I hope it's going to help the team from now.

"I think it was a good opportunity for him to build his fitness and have a proper pre-season which sometimes when you're involved in competition is difficult. For him, looking at last season which was really, really complicated for him and difficult and we used that situation and trying to be positive and helping him to get really fit to help him and the team.

"Because the pre-season is so important for every player, but sometimes the priority is holidays and this type of situation with him it was so clear that he was going to be suspended for two games and the plan was to provide him with good quality training to improve in different areas - and when the moment he is available to play to be in the perfect condition."

Lo Celso, who joined Spurs on loan from Real Betis with a view to a permanent deal, played five minutes from the bench in Saturday's 2-2 draw against champions City.

"I think Lo Celso is a situation that is not going to be easy," Pochettino said of the versatile Argentina midfielder. "He was in extended holidays after the Copa America, he didn't have a proper pre-season and didn't train too much.

"Then signed for us after a week without training. He's training well but is still so far away from what we expect from him. We need to give him time. He was involved [on Saturday] and will maybe have the possibility to help the team in some points, but we won't expect too much from him.

"We need to not put the responsibility on him, only to improve and adapt himself with us and see. It's a natural process to learn and improve. In the moment he will be fit and deserves to play then sure he will have the chance like other players."

Related items

  • Olmo opts for RB Leipzig according to Dinamo Zagreb coach Bjelica Olmo opts for RB Leipzig according to Dinamo Zagreb coach Bjelica

    Dani Olmo is set to join Bundesliga leaders RB Leipzig despite reported interest from Barcelona, Milan and Chelsea, Dinamo Zagreb's coach has confirmed.

    Olmo, who impressed for Spain Under-21s at last year's European Championships, has scored eight goals in all competitions this season, including five in the Champions League.

    The playmaker's form had seen him linked with a return to Barca, who he left to join Dinamo in 2014, while Premier League side Chelsea and Serie A club Milan also reportedly hold an interest.

    However, the 21-year-old has opted to make a move to Germany, with Leipzig his destination, according to Zagreb boss Nenad Bjelica, who believes Olmo has made the right decision for his career.

    "He had really good offers, he opted for Leipzig," Bjelica told Croatian media outlet 24sata. "We believe he will show his best as he did here at Dinamo.

    "From the numerous offers he had, he picked Leipzig. In my opinion it is the best club for him to develop.

    "Leipzig is a club at the top of the Bundesliga, they are growing year after year and playing the Champions League."

    Bjelica also revealed Olmo said his farewells to the Dinamo squad on Thursday, prior to flying to Leipzig to complete the formalities of the transfer.

    "We will have to do without him, we wish him the best," he said. "He said goodbye to the boys, he tried to say something more but did not succeed, it was difficult."

    Reports of the fee have varied between €20million and €35m plus add-ons. It is expected Olmo - who earlier in January claimed Barca had made his representatives a formal offer - will undergo a medical on Friday.

  • Mane forced off injured in first half of Liverpool's clash with Wolves Mane forced off injured in first half of Liverpool's clash with Wolves

    Sadio Mane went off injured in the first half of the Premier League clash between Wolves and Liverpool at Molineux.

    The Senegal star pulled up after running to meet a Mohamed Salah backheel around 32 minutes into the game.

    Mane immediately signalled to the Liverpool bench that he needed to come off and he was replaced soon after by recent arrival Takumi Minamino.

    It was unclear what the problem was with Mane, although it appeared to be muscular as he made his way down the tunnel.

    Any long-term problem for Mane would be a blow to Jurgen Klopp, the forward having scored 11 and assisted a further six goals in the league this season.

    The Reds were 1-0 up at the time of the injury, Jordan Henderson having broken the deadlock with a header from Trent Alexander-Arnold's corner.

  • Setien and Valverde not that different, says Barcelona star De Jong Setien and Valverde not that different, says Barcelona star De Jong

    Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong says tactics have not changed much since Quique Setien took over as head coach from Ernesto Valverde.

    Valverde was sacked following the 3-2 defeat to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana semi-finals, with Setien – an advocate of Johan Cruyff's possession-based approach – named as his successor on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

    The 61-year-old appears to have had a prompt influence on Barca's style, the Catalans enjoying 82.4 per cent of the ball in the LaLiga win over Granada and 78 per cent in Wednesday's Copa del Rey victory in Ibiza.

    Barca only managed three goals across those two games, though, suggesting they are yet to find a fluency to their attacking play – something for which Valverde was often criticised.

    And De Jong says Setien has not made many alterations yet to the team's approach, telling reporters at a sponsor event on Thursday: "He doesn't ask anything concrete of me. The idea he has is the same as Valverde, the style of Barcelona possession.


    "The only things that have changed are small details, but the intention is to have the ball.

    "It seems like I've adapted easily, and I'm happy, but I know I can do much better. I also believe we have a lot of room to evolve as a team and we'll be better throughout the season."

    De Jong signed for Barca last January but did not move until the end of the season, helping Ajax to the Eredivisie title and the Champions League semi-finals before his departure.

    The Netherlands midfielder is now hoping to go further in European competition, perhaps as part of a treble.

    "I want to win every trophy but, if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Champions League, although I want to lift LaLiga and the Copa del Rey," he said.

    "Last year, Barcelona-Ajax would have been a beautiful final. Hopefully, I can be there this year."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.