EPL

Stones still out but Zinchenko fit to face Bournemouth

By Sports Desk August 23, 2019

John Stones will be missing again for Manchester City against Bournemouth but Oleksandr Zinchenko is fit to start on Sunday.

England defender Stones did not feature against Tottenham in the Premier League last week due to a thigh injury, with Nicolas Otamendi instead partnering Aymeric Laporte.

The same duo are set to start again for City this week, as Guardiola offered little update on Stones other than to confirm his continued absence.

"No, I don't know. He's not fit for this weekend," Guardiola told a news conference, before he was asked about next weekend and replied: "We'll see."

There was better news on Zinchenko's fitness, however, after the left-back looked to be struggling during the closing stages of the 2-2 draw with Spurs.

Guardiola confirmed the 22-year-old had merely been suffering from cramp and would be available at Bournemouth.

"He's fit. He has been training. It was cramp," the manager said.

"It was such a demanding game against Tottenham. We had incredibly tough games against Liverpool [in the Community Shield] and Tottenham and the people, at the end, were tired.

"If we were more clinical in both boxes, the game in the last 20 minutes might have been easy. By going to 2-2, it's always so demanding. Against top teams, the physicality is tough.

"We're not yet in the normal process of games every three days where the rhythm is there. It was cramp, but he's okay.

New signing Joao Cancelo "is ready with his understanding", according to Guardiola, but he added the full City squad will not be needed until the fixtures ramp up following the international break.

Cancelo would have been one option to replace Zinchenko had he missed out, but the City boss is not short of alternatives, with Benjamin Mendy also back in training.

"On the left, we have Oleks, we have Angelino, we have Mendy coming back now in training all week with us," Guardiola said.

"Normally, [Cancelo] would play right-back, but he can play left. Juventus played him left many times. He can play both sides and as a winger, too.

"He can play several positions, but normally we think about him playing right-back because Kyle [Walker] cannot play every week every three days. It's impossible."

Related items

  • I'm not going anywhere in January! - Rose to run down Tottenham contract I'm not going anywhere in January! - Rose to run down Tottenham contract

    Danny Rose says any speculation surrounding his Tottenham future in January will come to nothing as he intends to run down his contract.

    The 29-year-old has repeatedly been linked with a move away from Spurs after he publicly announced an intention to leave following an outstanding 2016-17 season.

    Then linked with Manchester United, Rose has since struggled for form and fitness and was a reported target for Premier League strugglers Watford on the eve of the new season.

    However, the England international claims there was never any possibility he would leave in the most recent transfer window.

    He says Tottenham have informed him his contract, which expires in 2021, will not be renewed and the club want him to leave. But Rose is standing firm.

    "It's pretty obvious what happened [before the season]," he told the Evening Standard. "People upstairs at Tottenham were trying to do what they were trying to do.

    "I've said I've got 18 months left on my contract and I'm not going anywhere until my contract has finished.

    "In January, you're probably going to hear something [about a move]. I'm telling you right now that I'm not going anywhere until my contract is finished.

    "[Tottenham chairman] Daniel Levy told me in the summer there was no new contract for me at Tottenham, which is fine. I respect that. We move on.

    "My contract is up in 18 months' time and I'll leave the football club then. People [in the media] can save their time trying to get stuff ready for January about me being sold.

    "Because I can tell you now: it ain't happening. I know what people were trying to do in the summer. There were no bids - that was rubbish."

    Rose has played nine times in the Premier League this season, with Spurs struggling, and twice in the Champions League.

    The left-back said earlier this year he "can't wait" to retire due to racism in football, having been the victim of abuse on international duty with England.

  • Retiring Montolivo 'disrespected' but holds no grudge with AC Milan Retiring Montolivo 'disrespected' but holds no grudge with AC Milan

    Riccardo Montolivo insists he holds no grudge with AC Milan even as he retires 18 months on from his final Serie A appearance.

    The 34-year-old has been without a club since his Milan contract ran out at the end of the 2018-19 season and has now decided to call a halt to his career.

    However, Montolivo had not played a professional match since a 1-1 draw at Atalanta on May 13, 2018, being named on the bench 17 times in Serie A last term without making a single appearance.

    Discussing his retirement with Corriere dello Sport, Montolivo revealed he had accepted a fringe role for his final campaign at the club but was disappointed not to feature at all.

    "I last played in May 2018, at Atleti Azzurri d'Italia, the same stadium where I had started sixteen years before," he said.

    "I had two seasons at Atalanta, seven at Fiorentina and seven at Milan, although the last year-and-a-half has been an ordeal. I was marginalised, answers were never given.

    "I don't hold a grudge. Those who have been wrong with me, those who have disrespected me, repeatedly, will probably come to terms with their conscience."

    Montolivo added of Gennaro Gattuso, his last coach at Milan: "In the end, I also received the compliments of the coach.

    "And do you know what he added? That he would have been crazy had he been in my place. I felt cheated once more."

    Montolivo lost the Milan captaincy to Leonardo Bonucci upon the latter's arrival from Juventus in 2017, a decision made without any input from the deposed skipper.

    "I didn't deliver [the armband] to him," the midfielder said. "They told me that [then owner] Li Yonghong had decided the armband would be passed to one of the new signings.

    "When they told me about it, I explained that I found it unfair, that they were making a big mistake because there are hierarchies in the locker room that should always be respected.

    "I put forward the names of [Giacomo] Bonaventura and [Alessio] Romagnoli. But nothing - Bonucci.

    "In today's football, everyone thinks for himself. Solidarity, the sense of the group, this is stuff of the past. Anyway, [his team-mates] couldn't do anything."

  • Bayern watching developments with Manchester City star Sane Bayern watching developments with Manchester City star Sane

    Leroy Sane could once again become a target for Bayern Munich during the January transfer window.

    Manchester City winger Sane was heavily linked with a move to the Bundesliga champions but damaged his anterior cruciate ligament during August's Community Shield encounter against Liverpool.

    Sane underwent surgery and is targeting a return in the new year, when interest from Bayern could also re-emerge.

    “There were discussions over Sane,” Bayern board member Edmund Stoiber told Sport Bild.

    "The unfortunate injury and the surgery he required for it broke the deal up.

    "We'll see how things develop. As chairman of the advisory board and a member of the supervisory board, I have great faith in the sporting leadership.

    "If they propose a transfer of this magnitude, that is justified."

    Sane joined City from Schalke in August 2016 for a fee in the region of £37million.

    The 23-year-old has scored 25 goals and supplied 28 assists over the course of 89 Premier League appearances, winning back-to-back titles in the past two seasons.

    His contract at the Etihad Stadium expires at the end of the 2020-21 campaign.

    "We want him to stay here because we [have been trying] to extend the contract for more than one year," City manager Pep Guardiola said in August when speculation over Bayern moving for Sane was at its height.

    "We were quite close a month ago and now it's a little bit different but that’s the reality - I can’t say any more. That's where it is."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.