Real Madrid boss Zidane wants end to Neymar transfer speculation

By Sports Desk August 23, 2019

Zinedine Zidane is desperate to see the end of the transfer window after growing tired of the circus surrounding rumoured Real Madrid target Neymar.

LaLiga giants Madrid and fierce rivals Barcelona are believed to be battling for Neymar's signature as Paris Saint-Germain listen to offers for the Brazil international.

The 27-year-old was a topic of interest at Zidane's news conference on Friday, which occurred amid speculation in Spain that Keylor Navas could head in the opposite direction.

Head coach Zidane made clear his preference for Navas to remain in Madrid but was less forthcoming with his views on a potential deal for Neymar.

"I'm working with the players I have at my disposal and we have a game on Saturday," Zidane said ahead of the clash with Real Valladolid.

"Anything can happen until September 2, when the transfer window closes.

"Some might come, some might leave. I want September 2 to come as soon as possible so there will be no more questions.

"I am looking ahead to Saturday's game, that's what I'm concerned about right now."

Costa Rica international Navas watched from the bench as Madrid beat Celta Vigo 3-1 in their season opener last weekend but, despite PSG's apparent interest, the 32-year-old could well stay in the Spanish capital.

That is, at least, if head coach Zidane gets his way.

"Keylor is here with us and wants to be here with us," the Frenchman said.

"He has always been a great professional. We will have many games and I will count on him. Keylor is our player and an important player for us."

Related items

  • West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan West Ham flop Roberto joins Alaves on loan

    West Ham goalkeeper Roberto has signed for Deportivo Alaves on loan for the rest of the season after a disappointing first six months in the Premier League.

    The 33-year-old was brought to London Stadium on a free transfer at the end of May as a back-up to established number one Lukasz Fabianski, signing a two-year deal.

    But an early hip injury for Fabianski handed Roberto his opportunity in the first team.

    The Spaniard played eight times in the league but was at fault for a number of goals during a slump in form and was eventually replaced by David Martin.

    Fabianski suffered another injury earlier this month, yet West Ham have brought back Darren Randolph from Middlesbrough in a reported £4million transfer.

    Roberto has subsequently been allowed to return to LaLiga on a temporary deal.

  • BREAKING NEWS: Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo BREAKING NEWS: Real Madrid sign Reinier from Flamengo

    Real Madrid have completed the signing of Brazilian teenager Reinier Jesus from Flamengo.

    The attacker has long been linked with a €30million switch to Madrid, with reports previously suggesting he would sign after turning 18 on January 19.

    Reinier's arrival was subsequently confirmed on Monday, agreeing a six-and-a-half-year deal at the Santiago Bernabeu.

    He scored six goals in 14 appearances for Flamengo in Brazil's Serie A last year.

  • Bruce confirms Lazaro talks but Newcastle lose two defenders until end of season Bruce confirms Lazaro talks but Newcastle lose two defenders until end of season

    Steve Bruce hopes to sign Valentino Lazaro from Inter despite fearing a rival club could pounce following news of Newcastle United's interest.

    Lazaro has struggled to make an impact at San Siro since signing from Hertha Berlin ahead of the season, and the Nerazzurri have now brought in Ashley Young from Manchester United while being linked with Chelsea's Victor Moses.

    Those moves would appear to allow the Austria international to leave, and his agent was pictured in Newcastle at the 1-0 win over Chelsea.

    Bruce confirmed the club's interest on Monday, with Schalke midfielder Nabil Bentaleb also reportedly en route to Tyneside, but was unsure of progress on the Lazaro deal.

    "We hope [Lazaro will sign]. I think it's fairly common knowledge now that the agent was at St James' Park at the weekend," Bruce told a news conference ahead of facing Everton. "We hope that we can develop it.

    "Unfortunately, when it gets out like it did, it adds to the competition. We'll see. We'll see what the next 24 to 48 hours bring."

    However, it appears Newcastle will be forced to make further moves as their injury crisis shows no sign of subsiding.

    Left-backs Jetro Willems and Paul Dummett have both suffered season-ending issues in recent days, leaving only Matt Ritchie – himself just returning to fitness – in that position.

    "It's what we feared [with Willems], he's ruptured his anterior cruciate [ligament] and will miss, obviously, the rest of the season," Bruce said. "And we've had bad news on Dummett, too.

    "It's not looking so good for him as well – it looks like he's probably ruled out for the rest of the season as well with a tendon injury in his leg.

    "It's been a bad weekend in that respect. We wish them well and hope for a speedy recovery.

    "Things change in two or three days. We have got funds available, we are active at this moment. Because of what's just happened, we're short in that area.

    "We might have to look and see if we can do anything in the short term. We'll see what we can do, see who's out there."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.