River Plate 2-0 Cerro Porteno: Libertadores holders poised for semis

By Sports Desk August 22, 2019

Copa Libertadores champions River Plate took a giant step towards the semi-finals after claiming a 2-0 win over Cerro Porteno in the first leg of their quarter-final tie.

Ignacio Fernandez and Rafael Borre both scored penalties in each half to lead River past Paraguayan visitors Cerro Porteno in Buenos Aires on Thursday.

River – seeking back-to-back Libertadores titles after upstaging bitter rivals Boca Juniors in last year's final – took the lead thanks to a VAR review in the eighth minute.

After reviewing a handball against Joaquin Larrivey in the penalty area, Fernandez eventually stepped up to convert the spot-kick following Cerro Porteno protests.

River forward Borre made it 2-0 for the Argentine giants with a penalty of his own in the 65th minute.

After having a goal ruled out 12 minutes earlier following a foul in the build-up, Borre made no mistake from the spot.

River will travel to Cerro Porteno for the return leg on August 29, with a potential semi-final against Boca awaiting the Libertadores holders.

Related items

  • Coronavirus: Juve star Dybala details own experience as he continues recovery Coronavirus: Juve star Dybala details own experience as he continues recovery

    Paulo Dybala has revealed the troubling reality of life with coronavirus and insists staying at home is the best way to steer clear of the pandemic.

    The Juventus forward was one of the first notable footballers to confirm he had tested positive for COVID-19, though Dybala is optimistic he has shaken off the illness.

    He and girlfriend Oriana Sabatini have been in self-isolation, and Dybala said both would be re-tested to check if they were now clear.

    The 26-year-old said he would rather experts give advice on how to handle the virus but added: "I always try to give a message of what happened to me, that people take it seriously and that they stay at home."

    Dybala also revealed how Juventus doctors have been in daily contact.

    "All the people here have been very good to us and there are many cases here. I always tell them I'm fine and to try to see the people who really need it," he said.

    Italy has been hit hard by the global health crisis, and Dybala is acutely aware there are many having a worse experience with coronavirus than he and his girlfriend.

    "Well, luckily [we are] much better, these days we do not have any symptoms," he said.

    "I had stronger symptoms, I got tired very quickly, when I wanted to train, I was short of breath after five minutes. There we noticed that something was not right and through the tests the club did we were told that we were positive.

    "From there we had more symptoms, such as cough, tired body and when we slept I felt very cold, but from the club they had told us that we were going to be fine so we had to be calm."

    Dybala said the first concern that you may have coronavirus is particularly difficult.

    "It is a bit psychological, because you feel something and you are already afraid," he said. "I tried to think that it might not be that."

    The couple are trying to make those in Argentina aware of the tough times they may face.

    Dybala did also inject a little levity into his interview, which he gave to the Argentina Football Association's AFA Play service.

    "Oriana and I will need to do the test again to know if is gone or not. And we will know the truth," he said. "I always joke, thinking that it was me who transmitted the virus to her since some of my team-mates of Juventus had it. I am sure it was me."

  • Coronavirus: It sticks in the throat - MPs point finger at footballers over salaries Coronavirus: It sticks in the throat - MPs point finger at footballers over salaries

    Premier League footballers have been accused of living in a "moral vacuum" and urged to reduce their huge salaries by two prominent politicians amid the coronavirus crisis.

    Tottenham, Newcastle United and Norwich City are among the clubs to have used the UK Government's furlough scheme for non-playing staff.

    That job retention initiative enables employees to be paid 80 per cent of their wages - up to a maximum of £2,500 per month - by the Government while on temporary leave.

    Julian Knight, the chair of the Digital, Culture, Media and Sport committee, says the scheme was not brought in to assist top-flight clubs while players remain on massive wages.

    "It sticks in the throat," said Knight. "This exposes the crazy economics in English football and the moral vacuum at its centre."

    He added: "This isn't what it was designed for. It's not designed to effectively allow them to continue to pay people hundreds of thousands of pounds, while at the same time furloughing staff on hundreds of pounds.

    "I don't know whether or not the Treasury can legally turn down these applications.

    "But at the same time I think football needs to have a good, long, hard look at itself and see whether or not morally this is really right, and whether or not actually what they need to do is come to an arrangement with some of their stars so they can continue to pay their [non-playing] staff 100 per cent of their wages rather than furloughing them on 80 per cent."

    Sadiq Khan, the Mayor of London, echoed those sentiments.

    He told BBC Radio 5 Live: "My view is always that those who are the least well-off should get the most help.

    "Highly paid football players are people who can carry the greatest burden and they should be the first ones to, with respect, sacrifice their salary, rather than the person selling the programme or the person who does catering or the person who probably doesn't get anywhere near the salary some of the Premier League footballers get.

    "It should be those with the broadest shoulders who go first because they can carry the greatest burden and have probably got savings, rather than those who work in catering or hospitality who have probably got no savings and live week by week and who probably won't get the [furlough] benefits for five weeks."

  • Martinelli, Romero and stars who could emerge for 2021 Copa America Martinelli, Romero and stars who could emerge for 2021 Copa America

    Squads for the upcoming Copa America could look vastly different by the time the tournament comes around following its postponement.

    The latest edition of the competition was scheduled to start in June, but the coronavirus pandemic has seen it pushed back 12 months.

    Some veteran players might now fade from the picture before the Copa America gets under way next year, while other stars will have time to recover from injury.

    There could also be some new faces on the scene, with a host of uncapped prospects given an extra campaign to break through.

    We take a look at five players who might emerge between now and the tournament.

     

    GABRIEL MARTINELLI (BRAZIL)

    Even beyond Neymar, Roberto Firmino, Gabriel Jesus and co., Brazil have a wealth of attacking talent.

    Matheus Cunha and Paulinho each starred at this year's CONMEBOL Pre-Olympic Tournament and are already plying their trade in the Bundesliga, yet the nation's most outstanding prospect might reside in London.

    Gabriel Martinelli is eligible for both Brazil and Italy, but the Selecao will surely move swiftly to cap-tie the striker.

    Martinelli trained with Brazil last year aged 17 after starring for Ituano, and he has continued to impress in his first season at Arsenal, scoring 10 goals in all competitions.

    Further progress in the coming season would give Tite something to think about.

     

    CRISTIAN ROMERO (ARGENTINA)

    Argentina have long had problems at centre-back, with Manchester City defender Nicolas Otamendi still a regular at international level.

    However, head coach Lionel Scaloni could soon have greater options to choose from, with younger talents now breaking through.

    Nehuen Perez might well have gone to the 2020 Copa America, having been called up for the first time late last year after promising loan spells away from Atletico Madrid, but he could soon find himself nudged back down the pecking order.

    Cristian Romero appears well-placed to establish himself, having earned a €26million move from Genoa to Juventus at the start of the season, although he returned on loan to his former club, who are enduring a testing campaign.

    With Giorgio Chiellini and Leonardo Bonucci ageing, Romero should get opportunities with Juve next term - and Argentina could soon come calling.

     

    DIEGO ROSSI (URUGUAY)

    Uruguay continue to rely on a number of their veterans of previous tournaments, but this will have to change in the coming months and years - especially in attack.

    Luis Suarez faced a race to be fit for the 2020 edition, while Edinson Cavani's club future is in doubt as his Paris Saint-Germain contract expires. Even Cristhian Stuani is now playing in Spain's second tier. All three are 33 years old.

    And Diego Rossi should back himself to be in position to put pressure on that star trio in 12 months' time.

    Rossi left Penarol for Los Angeles FC aged 19 and has proven an instant hit in MLS, scoring 29 goals in 68 regular-season appearances, helping his club win the 2019 Supporters' Shield.

    LAFC general manager John Thorrington has spoken of "significant interest" in Rossi from Europe, and such a move would give the forward a great chance of making the grade for Uruguay.

     

    JORGE CARRASCAL (COLOMBIA)

    Rossi's LAFC team-mates Eddie Segura and Eduard Atuesta both appear set for first Colombia caps, but Jorge Carrascal might now have nudged to the front of that queue.

    A tricky winger who debuted for Millonarios at just 16, Carrascal initially struggled after joining River Plate on loan from Ukraine's Karpaty Lviv last year.

    However, Carrascal improved as the season went on, earning a permanent switch to River - and, crucially, a call-up to the Colombia Under-23s.

    Representing his country at youth level for the first time since 2015, the 21-year-old scored in each of his first three games at the Pre-Olympic Tournament and started all seven matches.

    A return to the River Plate XI this year could see Carrascal earn a senior Colombia call-up.


    REINIER (BRAZIL)

    It might seem a long shot for a player who has yet to feature for Real Madrid's first team and started only twice at the Pre-Olympic Tournament to be playing for Brazil's senior side in just over a year's time.

    But Reinier will have the benefit of 12 months in the limelight at one of the world's biggest clubs.

    After signing from Flamengo for €30m, Reinier netted a brace in just his third Castilla appearance - his final match before the coronavirus crisis intervened.

    The pre-season will be key if the 18-year-old is to get a chance at Madrid in 2020-21, and there is no reason why he could not then do enough to catch Tite's eye.

    Vinicius Junior made a big-money move from Flamengo to Madrid in 2018 and had debuted for Brazil within 12 months of his LaLiga bow. The path is clear.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.