Oxlade-Chamberlain: It's like Champions League triumph didn't happen for Liverpool

By Sports Desk August 22, 2019

Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain says it is like Liverpool's Champions League success did not happen as the team are so hungry for more trophies.

Jurgen Klopp's side triumphed against Premier League rivals Tottenham to be crowned kings of Europe for the sixth time in the club's glittering history.

Oxlade-Chamberlain missed the vast majority of the 2018-19 season due to a serious knee injury but he signed a new long-term deal, reported to run to 2023, on Thursday.

The England midfielder feels the desire for further silverware is fuelling Liverpool, who have won their opening two Premier League fixtures as well as clinching UEFA Super Cup glory against Chelsea.

"I think it is obvious to see the team is progressing. Even when we're not playing well, we still manage to grind out results and that's a really positive thing," Oxlade-Chamberlain told Liverpool's official website.

"In times when we are playing well, it sort of speaks for itself, we thrive and we have the ability to steamroll teams. From the outside, it would look like a really good time to sign – and I can speak even more from the inside about how good the group of lads is.

"It is a really, really good group of players, not only talent but characters and how much everyone respects each other. The manager and the coaches, the backroom staff, they're all a massive part of it. The whole set-up, the structure, is perfect at the moment.

"Last year was the first sign of that going in the right direction with the Champions League. Now, in a weird way, it is almost like it didn't happen, but I think that's credit to everyone around the building – everyone is hungry for the next thing and what's next.

"That's the right attitude to have to go on and be more successful and go on to win more things. That's the plan, hopefully we can follow it through and win some more things."

Reds boss Jurgen Klopp is similarly thrilled to have Oxlade-Chamberlain commit his future to Anfield.

"When I heard Ox had signed his new contract with us, I am sure my emotions were the same as every Liverpool fan hearing the news tonight – absolutely delighted," Klopp said.

"This is because an absolutely outstanding player and person has shown his belief and commitment to our project here and it's a deal I think makes sense on both sides.

"I think Ox has said himself it feels to him like he has been here a lot longer than he actually has and that is something I would agree with. I think that's down to his personality around the place here at Melwood.

"I have said in the past, one of the best things about him is what an outstanding human being he is, one of the nicest guys you will meet. Of course, he is also an outstandingly talented footballer, too."

Related items

  • Sancho, Olmo, Rodri and De Ligt - 10 players to watch in the 2019-20 Champions League Sancho, Olmo, Rodri and De Ligt - 10 players to watch in the 2019-20 Champions League

    The 2019-20 Champions League gets under way with the usual suspects among the favourites for the title: Barcelona, Manchester City, Paris Saint-Germain, Real Madrid and holders Liverpool.

    Madrid face PSG in a blockbuster opening clash but the most interesting stories in the group stage could be bubbling under the surface, with Atalanta among the clubs making their competition debuts.

    Stars such as Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Eden Hazard, Sergio Aguero and Mohamed Salah could dominate but the stage is set for many others to make their names among Europe's elite.

    Omnisport picks out 10 players who may have a huge impact on this season's Champions League.


    MATTHIJS DE LIGT - JUVENTUS

    Juventus may have preferred to slowly integrate De Ligt into their defence after he joined from Ajax. But a long-term injury to captain Giorgio Chiellini means the Netherlands centre-back has been pressed into action already. De Ligt has made a stumbling start in Turin but his leadership helped Ajax reach the semi-finals last season, knocking Juve out along the way. If they are to recapture the Champions League title, De Ligt is set for a key role at the back.


    JOAO FELIX - ATLETICO MADRID

    Antoine Griezmann's move to Barcelona left Atletico with a huge hole to fill in their attack, with the Rojiblancos breaking their club record to sign Joao Felix from Benfica. There is no doubting the 19-year-old's extreme talent but whether or not he is ready to lead Atleti to Champions League glory after some perilously near misses in recent years remains to be seen.


    JADON SANCHO - BORUSSIA DORTMUND

    Another teenager, England star Sancho is already one of the most dangerous forwards in world football. The 19-year-old has already contributed two goals and four assists in the Bundesliga this term, while he opened his international account with a brace against Kosovo last week. Perhaps most impressive about Sancho is his decision-making in the final third where he is clinical, especially on the break. Dortmund are in a tough Group F with Barcelona, Inter and Slavia Prague.


    RODRI - MANCHESTER CITY

    European success continues to elude City but the capture of Rodri from Atletico could help them finally go to the next level in the Champions League. Control has been an issue for Pep Guardiola's men in the knockout rounds but Spain midfielder Rodri, seen as a successor to Sergio Busquets internationally, should enable them to dominate possession more than ever.


    PHILIPPE COUTINHO - BAYERN MUNICH

    Having struggled to justify his move to Barcelona, Brazil playmaker Coutinho has been given a fresh start with Bundesliga giants Bayern Munich. His arrival ought to help address the loss of James Rodriguez after his two-year loan from Real Madrid ended. Bayern are looking for a first European crown since 2012-13 with Coutinho needing to step up.


    ERLING HAALAND - SALZBURG

    One of Europe's most in-form strikers, Haaland hit eight league goals in six games for Austrian champions Salzburg before the international break. The Leeds-born 19-year-old, son of former Manchester City midfielder Alf-Inge Haaland, shot to fame when he scored nine goals in Norway's 12-0 win over Honduras at the Under-20 World Cup earlier this year.


    LAUTARO MARTINEZ - INTER

    Inter and Dortmund look likely to be scrapping for second spot in Group F, so Antonio Conte will want a big impact from Lautaro Martinez. The Argentina attacker should get more chances to impress after the departure of compatriot Mauro Icardi to PSG on loan and he showed he is in fine form by hitting a hat-trick in a friendly defeat of Mexico during the international break.


    DANI OLMO - DINAMO ZAGREB

    Having led Spain to glory at the European Under-21 Championship this year, Olmo was one of Europe's most in-demand players. Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid, Manchester United and Tottenham were all linked with the 21-year-old, who was retained by Dinamo instead. He offers a genuine threat in the final third, having scored eight league goals last term, and Dinamo have a real chance of qualifying from Group C behind likely winners Manchester City.


    ALEJANDRO GOMEZ - ATALANTA

    In the same group, along with Shakhtar Donetsk, are Champions League newcomers Atalanta, who thrilled in Serie A last term. Finally getting a chance to shine in the Champions League, Gomez may not get another opportunity to adorn this competition. One of the most consistent performers in Italy's top flight, the 31-year-old could help Atalanta become the tournament's surprise package.


    MASON MOUNT - CHELSEA

    A transfer ban has forced Europa League winners Chelsea to reassess their squad with new England international Mason Mount among those making the most of their chance under Blues head coach Frank Lampard. Three Premier League goals have helped the 20-year-old, who played under Lampard at Championship side Derby County on loan last season, settle in quickly. The Champions League is his next test.

  • Conte: Champions League campaign could stall Inter project Conte: Champions League campaign could stall Inter project

    Antonio Conte is committed to building a "special" Inter side but has called for patience from fans and media alike ahead of the Nerazzurri's Champions League meeting with Slavia Prague.

    Inter have won all three of their opening Serie A fixtures under Conte and sit top of the table.

    Head coach Conte, though, has insisted patience will be required throughout the campaign, conceding the Champions League will make it more difficult for him to pin down Inter's new style of play.

    "It will be hard to play on more than one front. The more time you have the easier it is for the coach and also for the players to recover," Conte told a news conference.

    "The Champions League is a great source of motivation, we all want to do well and go far for the fans too, but it is not easy for me in my goal of creating a side with an identity.

    "There is real desire to create something special, we are laying solid foundations for something important.

    "It is vital we keep our feet on the ground, but the enthusiasm must come from the results, from our hard work and our aims, so time and patience is needed.

    "I played in three Champions League finals and coached Juventus in the Champions League too, my record there was good.

    "At Chelsea too, I coached in the Champions League, this is my fourth season as a coach in the Champions League, but it takes time to win it, you need experience, you need to create a side with an identity.

    "In the past I have coached sides still being built. It has not been easy for me."

    The arrival of Romelu Lukaku and Alexis Sanchez have boosted Inter's attack, while Conte's side have scored seven and conceded just once in their three league matches so far.

    Lukaku has scored twice so far, though had to be taken off with an injury midway through the second half against Udinese on Saturday.

    "Lukaku will train today," Conte said when asked if the forward was fit.

    "He had a back injury against Udinese but we will see and evaluate his fitness."

  • Liverpool could face Monterrey as Club World Cup draw is made Liverpool could face Monterrey as Club World Cup draw is made

    Mexican giants Monterrey potentially await Liverpool in the semi-finals of the FIFA Club World Cup after the draw was made on Monday.

    Runners-up in their only previous participation in 2005, UEFA Champions League winners Liverpool enter the tournament at the final-four stage alongside the victors of the Copa Libertadores and could face one of four sides in the semis.

    The tournament opens on December 11 with New Caledonian side Hienghene Sport facing either home hopefuls Al Sadd or the AFC runners-up in Qatar.

    The winners of that game will then take on Monterrey, who lifted the 2019 CONCACAF Champions League with a 2-1 aggregate win against Tigres, for the right to challenge Liverpool.

    On the other side of the draw, South America's continental champions will face ES Tunis or the Asian champions in the semi-finals.

    The final is scheduled for December 21 and Liverpool are guaranteed to play at least two matches as the third-place play-off takes place on the same day.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.