Ribery hopes to play to 40 but won't be Ronaldo rival

By Sports Desk August 22, 2019

Franck Ribery hopes to play on beyond the age of 40 after joining Fiorentina but says he does not intend to be a rival to Cristiano Ronaldo.

Ribery's 12-year stay at Bayern Munich concluded when his contract expired at the end of the 2018-19 season, in which he won a ninth Bundesliga title.

Following prolonged speculation about his next move, the former France winger agreed a two-year deal with La Viola.

And Ribery, who plans to follow in the footsteps of Serie A veterans such as Francesco Totti, is aiming to lead Fiorentina back into the Champions League.

"We have had a very long negotiation, but I am very happy to be here in Florence," said the 36-year-old.

"I saw great motivation and great confidence in me from the management, and that is why I am here. Naturally, my wife also helped in the choice, because my family is very important.

"I am very motivated, I always want to play. I have a two-year contract and I want to be decisive and help the young players. I want to give something new to this club, I want to bring Fiorentina into the top three of the table.

"I came here to help my team, which is Fiorentina. I am not here to be a rival to Ronaldo. Serie A is a great tournament with many excellent players. Inter bought well on the market, as did Juventus.

"The thing I appreciate the most is that people here love and live for football. It's a wonderful experience and I want to enjoy myself on the field.

"Football is my life. It's the reason I wanted to remain in Europe and I was fortunate to find Fiorentina. I hope to continue playing until the age of 40, just like Francesco Totti."

Fiorentina open the new Serie A season at home to Napoli on Saturday but Ribery is not expecting to be involved.

"I am not ready to start, but I am happy that I got to train with the squad today, which is very different to training by yourself," he added. 

"I need a week or two to be ready to play, but if the coach [Vincenzo Montella] tells me that I'm needed, I will step up."

Related items

  • Barcelona hot prospect Barry joins Villa in seven-figure deal Barcelona hot prospect Barry joins Villa in seven-figure deal

    Aston Villa have paid Barcelona €1million for 16-year-old English striker Louie Barry - predicting he could become "an outstanding number nine" with the club.

    England Under-17 international Barry joined Barcelona from Villa's neighbours West Brom in July last year and was placed in the club's La Masia academy.

    However, Barry is cutting his time short with the Camp Nou giants in favour of a chance at making the grade at Villa.

    Barcelona announced in a statement: "Louie Barry is leaving FC Barcelona to join Aston Villa. The Villans will pay 1,048,000 euros to acquire the 16-year-old striker."

    Barry made his debut for Barcelona's youth team in October and scored two goals in seven domestic league games, also appearing as a substitute in three UEFA Youth League matches.

    Barcelona said he had demonstrated an "exemplary attitude" during his time at the club, while Villa were thrilled with their business.

    Villa academy manager Mark Harrison said: "It sends a powerful message about the ambition of this football club.

    "We're delighted - Louie is a local person and his family are all Villa fans, as is Louie.

    "He is still a very young man but as he's developed, he's always been one player that you always recognise as having outstanding attributes."

    Harrison told VillaTV: "He's got a fantastic mentality, he's desperate to do well for this football club.

    "He's really driven, he's got great family support, but in terms of what he can achieve, we firmly believe that he can be an outstanding number nine for this football club."

  • Podolski joins Turkish Super Lig side Antalyaspor Podolski joins Turkish Super Lig side Antalyaspor

    Lukas Podolski has joined struggling Turkish Super Lig side Antalyaspor on a free transfer after leaving Vissel Kobe.

    Former Germany international Podolski had been with Vissel since 2017, having joined the Japanese club from Galatasaray, and was linked with Malaysian champions Johor Darul Ta'zim after visiting their training ground.

    The 34-year-old has instead returned to Turkey with Antalyaspor, who finished seventh last season but are in the relegation zone after 18 games in 2019-20.

    World Cup winner and former Arsenal and Bayern Munich forward Podolski, who will wear the number 11 shirt for his new side, has also been in talks with Cologne over taking up a role at the German club following his retirement.

  • Moses joins Inter for Conte reunion Moses joins Inter for Conte reunion

    Inter have announced the signing of Victor Moses from Chelsea on a loan deal with an option to buy.

    The 29-year-old moves to Serie A for the remainder of the campaign after spending the first half of this season with Fenerbahce in the Turkish Super Lig.

    Moses was a key player under Antonio Conte when Chelsea last won the Premier League title in 2016-17 and will reunite with his old boss at San Siro.

    Inter did not confirm the details of the purchase option, but it has been reported they will need to pay €10million to sign the Nigeria international.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.