Unwell Sarri to miss opening two Serie A games

By Sports Desk August 22, 2019

Maurizio Sarri will not be on the Juventus bench for the first two games of the Serie A season, the club announced.

Sarri was diagnosed with pneumonia earlier this week and has been undergoing medical tests.

Juve said on Thursday that Sarri's latest results have shown an improvement in his condition.

But the 60-year-old, who left Chelsea to take charge of Juve, will be given more time to recover.

Juve start their title defence away to Parma on Saturday and Sarri will also miss a home game against his old club Napoli on August 31.

"The decision was taken to allow the technician, who even today went to the JTC [Juventus Training Centre to coordinate work with his staff, to resume regular activity as soon as possible," said a club statement.

Related items

  • Rumour Has It: Inter to increase offer in bid to seal Eriksen deal Rumour Has It: Inter to increase offer in bid to seal Eriksen deal

    Inter are reportedly "confident" of finally sealing a deal for Christian Eriksen.

    The Serie A title hopefuls are said to be preparing an improved offer as they seek to tempt Tottenham into selling the midfielder this month.

    On Monday, Inter sporting director Piero Ausilio confirmed an official bid had been lodged with the London club.

     

    TOP STORY – INTER BACK IN FOR ERIKSEN

    The chase for wantaway midfielder Eriksen could come to an end when Inter increase their proposal to €15million (£12.8m) plus add-ons.

    The Guardian suggests Tottenham will soon have another offer to contemplate after rejecting the Nerazzurri's previous approach, which involved an initial €10m (£8.5m) sum.

    Eriksen, also linked with Manchester United, is due to become a free agent at the end of the season.

     

    ROUND-UP

    - Ashley Young has arrived, Eriksen could be close and Inter's raid on English football is not finished there. Victor Moses has been pictured in Milan and Sky Sport Italia claims the Chelsea wide man will undergo a medical on Tuesday.

    - Eriksen's future is not Tottenham's only cause for concern. According to the Daily Mail, Danny Rose and manager Jose Mourinho were involved in a "heated exchange" on Sunday after the left-back took issue with his omission from the squad that draw 0-0 at Watford.

    - Chelsea have made enquiries about Edinson Cavani and are ready to rival Atletico Madrid for the Paris Saint-Germain striker's signature, reports the Telegraph.

    - LaLiga champions Barcelona admire Arsenal captain Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang more than the other centre-forwards on their shortlist of potential signings, says Mundo Deportivo.

    - Bayern Munich are hunting a new right-back and have identified Real Madrid defender Alvaro Odriozola as a strong candidate to fill the problem position, reports Sky Sport Germany.

  • West Brom 0-1 Stoke City: Championship leaders' slump stretches to sixth winless game West Brom 0-1 Stoke City: Championship leaders' slump stretches to sixth winless game

    West Brom's slump continued with a shock 1-0 defeat at home to struggling Stoke City, with the Championship leaders now without a win in six league games.

    The Baggies were boosted by being able to give Grady Diangana his first start in over a month, but he lasted only four minutes and the hosts failed to make the most of their chances as Tyrese Campbell's early goal proved decisive.

    West Brom gave the ball away in midfield and Stoke pounced in the ninth minute, as Nick Powell released Tom Ince and he squared to Campbell, who beat Sam Johnstone from 12 yards.

    Campbell was then forced off injured a 14 minutes later and Stoke unsurprisingly struggled in attack without him, though West Brom failed to get past Jack Butland at the other end, with Matheus Pereira guilty of a couple of suspect misses.

    Victory lifts Stoke four points above the bottom three, while the Baggies remain only a point clear of Leeds United at the summit and five above third-place Fulham, with their game in hand now gone.

  • Inter director confirms Eriksen bid and agreement for Moses Inter director confirms Eriksen bid and agreement for Moses

    Inter have submitted an offer to Tottenham for Denmark midfielder Christian Eriksen, according to the Italian club's sporting director Piero Ausilio.

    Eriksen has entered the final six months of his contract at Spurs and been the subject of frequent transfer speculation, with Inter long seen as one of the favourites to land him.

    Inter have not been particularly discreet with regards to their interest, as CEO Giuseppe Marotta was spotted with Eriksen's agent, while Ausilio previously suggested he was confident of getting a deal done.

    Such tactics have not done down well with Jose Mourinho, who accused his former club of showing a lack of respect – though Inter insisted they have done nothing wrong, reminding Spurs they are fully entitled to open discussions with the midfielder.

    They seem to have taken the next step in their pursuit, with Ausilio confirming a bid has been lodged.

    Speaking to Sky Sport Italia, Ausilio said: "We just made an official bid to Tottenham to sign Christian Eriksen and now we're waiting.

    "Many clubs are interested but we are confident, trying to get a top player like Eriksen."

    Ausilio also revealed the club have reached an agreement with Chelsea for Victor Moses after Frank Lampard confirmed the Nigerian's loan with Fenerbahce had been ended with the view to him going elsewhere.

    And Olivier Giroud – also owned by Chelsea – could yet potentially link up with Moses at San Siro.

    "We've reached an agreement with Chelsea for Victor Moses," he added. "Giroud is a possibility if we sell one striker in this transfer market."

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.