Ronaldo: Maybe I'll retire next year, or I could play into my 40s

By Sports Desk August 20, 2019

Juventus and Portugal star Cristiano Ronaldo remains unsure when he will retire, saying it could be as soon as next year or he could play into his 40s.

Ronaldo, 34, has continued to star after joining Juve last year, scoring 28 goals in 43 games in all competitions and helping the Italian giants win another Serie A title in 2018-19.

The five-time Ballon d'Or winner is uncertain when he will stop playing, although the star forward said it may not be far away.

"I don't think about that," Ronaldo told TVI on Tuesday.

"Maybe I can leave my career next year … but I can also play up to 40 or 41.

"I don't know. What I always say is to enjoy the moment. The gift is excellent and I have to continue to enjoy it."

Along with numerous individual honours, Ronaldo has won a record five Champions League titles (four with Real Madrid and one with Manchester United), three Premier League crowns and two LaLiga trophies.

Ronaldo wants to make history and is seemingly motivated by setting records.

"Are there any soccer players who have more records than me?" he asked.

"I don't think there are any footballers who have more records than me."

Ronaldo's Juventus begin their Serie A campaign with a trip to Parma on Saturday.

Related items

  • Conte: I think playing behind closed doors is not beautiful Conte: I think playing behind closed doors is not beautiful

    Antonio Conte admitted games are not the same without the presence of fans as Inter prepare to host Ludogorets at an empty San Siro on Thursday.

    UEFA announced Inter and Ludogorets will meet behind closed doors in the second leg of their Europa League tie due to concerns over the coronavirus outbreak in Italy.

    And Inter travel to title rivals Juve just three days later, with six points separating the sides as third visits first in Serie A.

    It has not yet been confirmed whether fans will be allowed to attend the Derby d'Italia, but Nerazzurri coach Conte is keen to see supporters allowed inside the Allianz Stadium.

    "I think playing behind closed doors is not beautiful," Conte told Sky Sport Italia. "Football needs the public and to feel the whole atmosphere around it. It is the most beautiful thing.

    "Having said that, we refer to the decisions made for health reasons, but I hope that everything will return to normal as soon as possible."

    The outbreak of the virus, which originated in China, saw Inter's clash with Sampdoria one of four Serie A fixtures to be postponed last Sunday.

    But after returning to action against Ludogorets, Conte's side have a crucial stretch with matches against Juve and then Napoli, who hold a 1-0 first-leg lead in the Coppa Italia semi-finals.

    "We have a very concentrated schedule," Conte said. "The fact that the match with Samp has been postponed changed the situation a bit.

    "But we trained to prepare for this cycle of matches: only at the end will we see what Inter can do."

  • Ajax not taking a 'big risk' with Chelsea-bound Ziyech Ajax not taking a 'big risk' with Chelsea-bound Ziyech

    Ajax will be without Hakim Ziyech for the second leg of their Europa League last-32 tie with Getafe, Erik ten Hag has confirmed.

    Ziyech will join Chelsea at the end of the season, with the player having agreed a five-year contract to move to Stamford Bridge.

    The Morocco international was a star of Ajax's charge to the Champions League semi-finals last season and has scored nine goals across all competitions in 2019-20.

    However, a calf problem ruled him out for the opening leg against Getafe, which Ajax lost 2-0 in Spain.

    Ziyech missed a 1-0 defeat to Heracles on Sunday with a recurrence of the issue and Ten Hag has now revealed the 26-year-old will be absent again on Thursday.

    "Still for the same reason, he hasn't recovered enough," Ten Hag said in a news conference when asked about Ziyech.

    "Given the injury, we cannot take a big risk with that. We cannot risk putting everything at stake for one match."

    Sunday's defeat left Ajax just three points clear of AZ at the top of the Eredivisie, though Ten Hag has been boosted by the return of Quincy Promes. Noussair Mazraoui and David Neres, however, are both still out.

  • T&T leads Caribbean trio into next round of Women’s Under-20 Championship T&T leads Caribbean trio into next round of Women’s Under-20 Championship

    Dominican RepublicHaiti and Trinidad and Tobago are through to the Round of 16 of the 2020 Concacaf Women’s Under-20 Championship after posting wins on Tuesday in Group F at the Estadio Panamericano in San Cristobal.

    It was a hard-fought contest throughout, but Trinidad and Tobago used a late push to down Cayman Islands 2-0.

    Maria-Frances Serrant broke the deadlock in the 78’ before Afiyah Cornwall put the finishing touches on the three points with a goal in the 90+4’, giving the Soca Warriors six points through two matches.

    Just like in their opening match against the Cayman Islands, Haiti flexed their scoring muscles with a 7-0 victory against Saint Kitts and Nevis.

    Both Dayana Louis Pierre (32’, 40’) and Abaina Louis (36’, 46’) had braces, while Melchie Dumornay (22’), Mirlene Dorce (41’) and Rose-ayla Marcellus (55’) chipped in with goal.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.