EPL

Pogba and Rashford share Man United's penalty duties, confirms Solskjaer

By Sports Desk August 19, 2019

Marcus Rashford and Paul Pogba are both Manchester United's designated penalty takers, according to manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer.

With United drawing 1-1 at Wolves in the Premier League on Monday, Pogba won a penalty by drawing a foul from captain Conor Coady in the box.

After an on-field discussion over who would step up to take the kick, Pogba got the nod but saw his effort saved by Rui Patricio.

Rashford converted a penalty in last weekend's 4-0 defeat of Chelsea and the striker has a 100 per cent record from the spot.

But at Molineux the England striker threw the ball to Pogba, who has now missed four Premier League penalties since the start of last season.

"Because the two are designated penalty shooters, it's up to them who feels it is theirs," Solskjae told Sky Sports. 

"Sometimes players feel they are confident enough to score. Paul scored so many for us but the keeper made a good save.

"They are very confident, Marcus scored last week and he would have loved it but Paul was also confident and I like that confidence."

Rashford also played down the penalty incident with Pogba when he went in front of the television cameras, United having missed the chance to move top of the Premier League table after two games.

"Paul wanted to take it, it's that simple," Rashford told Sky Sports. "Everyone can miss one, he's scored countless for us and throughout his career, it's normal. We forgot about it now and we go again.

"It's simple, if you want to take it, you take it. I took it last week so it's no problem for him to take it. It's unfortunate he didn't score it but that's football.

"The confidence you're going to score is always the same and so it should be. We practice all week and score the majority of the time so there's no reason not to be confident. 

"It's not on him [Pogba], it's as a team and we take that forward into the next game."

The other major talking point was Daniel James being shown a yellow card for simulation in the first half, but Solskjaer defended United's new signing.

"I don't think it's a booking, I've not seen it," said Solskjaer.

"He's so quick, he gets kicked so many times and gets a lot of yellows for defenders against him.

"Sometimes he gets fouled and it doesn't look like it. I don't think it's a yellow card from seeing it live."

Related items

  • Manchester City & Liverpool hit with UEFA fines for crowd disturbances Manchester City & Liverpool hit with UEFA fines for crowd disturbances

    Manchester City and Liverpool have been fined by UEFA for incidents that took place during Champions League matches this month.

    The teams were charged two weeks ago and UEFA's Control, Ethics and Disciplinary Body (CEDB) met on Thursday to decide their punishments.

    City have been slapped with a €15,750 (£13,000) fine for the throwing of objects in their 2-0 win over Dinamo Zagreb on October 1.

    Dinamo have also been ordered to pay €20,000 (£17,300) for the same offence and acts of damages in the away end at the Etihad Stadium.

    Liverpool were sanctioned to the tune of €10,000 (£8,600) after their supporters came onto the pitch during and after their 4-3 Champions League win against Salzburg at Anfield on October 2.

    A group of youngsters climbed over the hoardings at full-time and ran towards Andy Robertson to collect his shirt, while another spectator entered the pitch midway through the second half and was led away by stewards. Salzburg were fined €3,250 (£2,800) over the throwing of objects.

    Ajax must pay a total of €68,000 (£58,800) in fines. Acts of damages and crowd disturbances from the travelling fans at Mestalla has resulted in a ban from selling tickets for their trip to Chelsea on November 11, while they must contact Valencia within 30 days and agree compensation.

  • Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts

    Christian Benteke and James Tomkins have signed new deals with Crystal Palace, the Premier League club have announced.

    Belgium striker Benteke has scored just one top-flight goal since the start of last season and was due to be out of contract next June.

    The 28-year-old has agreed to stay on for a further 12 months, however, while centre-back Tomkins has extended his deal through to the end of 2021-22.

    Tomkins has played 87 times for the south London side since joining in 2016, but he has not featured since injuring his groin in April.

    Palace confirmed the new deals on their official website on Thursday and chairman Steve Parish added: "I'm pleased that agreements have been reached with these two important senior players. 

    "Both James and Christian bring vast Premier League experience, commitment and professionalism to the squad.  

    "These new deals show that we recognise their levels of performance in recent seasons, that we believe in both players, and that they are hugely motivated by the direction the club is heading."

  • Former England star Gascoigne cleared of sexual assault, common assault Former England star Gascoigne cleared of sexual assault, common assault

    Former England, Tottenham and Newcastle United star Paul Gascoigne has been found not guilty of sexual assault and common assault.

    Gascoigne, 52, who earned 57 caps for England between 1988 and 1998, was arrested on August 20, 2018 and charged on November 19 with allegedly sexually assaulting a woman on a train.

    He entered a plea of not guilty at Peterlee Magistrates' Court in County Durham on December 11 last year, with the case coming to trial at Teesside Crown Court this week.

    In judge Peter Armstrong's directions to the jury on Wednesday, he informed them they may consider an alternative offence of "assault by beating" if found not guilty of sexual assault following evidence and witness statements.

    The jury returned verdicts of not guilty for both charges on Thursday.

    His solicitor read a statement on behalf of Gascoigne outside the court, saying: "To have a sexual allegation hanging over me for over 12 months has been so tough.

    "I'm so glad I was finally able to put over my side of the story and the jury came to the correct verdict."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.