Dortmund want to get better every day – Favre eyes improvement despite 5-1 rout

By Sports Desk August 17, 2019

Borussia Dortmund head coach Lucien Favre said his Bundesliga hopefuls can get even better following their 5-1 demolition of Augsburg.

Last season's runners-up Dortmund recorded their biggest-ever opening-day victory in the club's 52 seasons in the Bundesliga thanks to Saturday's rout of visiting Augsburg.

Florian Niederlechner gave Augsburg a shock first-minute lead, but that advantage was wiped out by Dortmund's Paco Alcacer two minutes later at Signal-Iduna Park.

It was one-way traffic from that point as Dortmund – who surrendered a nine-point lead to Bayern Munich last season – pilled on four unanswered goals in the second half via Jadon Sancho, captain Marco Reus, Alcacer and Julian Brandt.

"We upped the tempo in the second period, which was very good," Favre told Sky. "The result was then clear and deserved. But we also still have a few things to work on.

"We want to get better every day. What's important for me is that the players make progress – both individually and collectively too.

Reus, who scored Dortmund's third goal 12 minutes into the second half, added: "There was a lot of excitement to be playing our first game at home. The stadium was sold out and the fans were immense once again; especially after we went 1-0 down, they were extremely loud.

"We never doubted we could win this match. It obviously wasn't all perfect, we would've liked to have gone 2-1 up before the interval. At the break we said we needed to play with more purpose. That's how we then created our chances.

"The fact we were playing towards the South Stand in the second half gave us the push we needed, as it always does. You get the feeling you can apply even more pressure, that you're more on your game. We're happy we scored four goals in front of the South Stand."

Germany international Nico Schulz made his Bundesliga debut for Dortmund, alongside fellow new signings Mats Hummels and Thorgan Hazard, after arriving from Hoffenheim in the off-season.

"That was a very, very good start," Schulz said. "We went about the match the way we'd set out to. We kept our cool after conceding and we're delighted to get our first three points. We went 2-1 ahead relatively early and we had more space after that. Then it got slightly easier for us.

"The chants by the fans are an honour for me, of course. Obviously, the best way to pay them back will be with my performances."

Related items

  • As team climbs five places, coach wants even more from Jamaica's Reggae Boyz As team climbs five places, coach wants even more from Jamaica's Reggae Boyz

    Theodore Whitmore, head coach of Jamaica’s Reggae Boyz said that Jamaica couldn’t afford to be complacent now that the team has climbed up the latest FIFA World Rankings released on Wednesday.

  • Hudson-Odoi signs new five-year Chelsea contract Hudson-Odoi signs new five-year Chelsea contract

    Callum Hudson-Odoi has signed a new five-year contract at Chelsea, the club has confirmed.

    The England international joins fellow academy products Ruben Loftus-Cheek and Mason Mount in committing to long-term deals since Frank Lampard's appointment as head coach.

    Securing the teenager's signature is significant for Chelsea, who rejected several bids from Bundesliga champions Bayern Munich earlier this year.

    The German giants made their interest known in January, reportedly leading Hudson-Odoi to submit a transfer request, and are said to have returned with a reduced £22.5million (€25.4m) offer as the winger entered the final 12 months of his previous deal.

    Chelsea resisted Bayern's interest and have now tied the talented homegrown prospect to an agreement reportedly worth upwards of £100,000 per week.

    "It's an amazing feeling," Hudson-Odoi told Chelsea's official website. "It's been a long wait but it's done now and I'm really happy about that. I've been a Chelsea player since I was eight and this is the right club for me to be at.

    "I want to lift as many trophies as possible, win as many games as possible and contribute to as many goals as I can as well. As a team, we just want to work hard to achieve the best results we can.

    "I'm delighted everything has been agreed and now I'm just looking forward to properly getting back."

    Hudson-Odoi had to be patient before forcing his way into former boss Maurizio Sarri's starting XI in April, only for a ruptured Achilles to end his season in the same month.

    The 18-year-old earned made his return in an Under-23 game against Brighton and Hove Albion last week and is nearing a return to first-team action.

    England manager Gareth Southgate handed Hudson-Odoi his first senior international cap against Czech Republic in March.

    "I have seen Callum come through and he's a fantastic talent," Lampard said. "He is going to be central for us on the pitch and that is the opportunity in front of him now.

    "There are things as a young player that he will want to improve but he can be central to this team and for England. I want to work with him, I want to drive him forward and I want to improve him as a player.

    "Callum can show, right here at Chelsea, the club he came through the academy at, that he is going to be a world-class player because I truly believe that."

    It has been reported the Blues are also looking to tie down Fikayo Tomori and Tammy Abraham to extended new deals.

  • Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star Valverde asked for Neymar but Barcelona cautious over more bids for PSG star

    Barcelona chief executive Oscar Grau has confirmed Ernesto Valverde asked the club to buy Neymar, as the Spanish champions consider whether to make any future bids to Paris Saint-Germain.

    Neymar was strongly linked with a return to Camp Nou, with PSG sporting director Leonardo confirming the Brazilian was for sale having asked to leave the French capital.

    But despite Barca reportedly making a series of cash-plus-players offers to PSG, no deal could be completed before September 2's European transfer deadline.

    Neymar scored on his first Ligue 1 appearance this term after failing to get his desired move, but PSG ultras have indicated he will not be welcomed back to the fray quickly.

    Real Madrid have also long been linked with a move for Neymar, with Grau unwilling to say whether Barcelona will continue to pursue a deal for the Brazil forward.

    "Neymar was a request from the sports area and the coach and the club did everything in order to get him, albeit in a financially sustainable way," Grau said on Thursday.

    "We made many proposals to PSG. They always rejected them. I don't know if we are going to target him again next summer. Planning for next season will be done in the future.

    "We would have been delighted to have the chance to bring Neymar back, but the terms always had to be reasonable.

    "If some parameters had been accomplished, it would have been possible, but PSG were not happy about losing him."

    Barca also missed out on Matthijs de Ligt, who opted not to follow his Netherlands team-mate Frenkie de Jong from Ajax to Camp Nou.

    "We made him an offer, but he preferred to go to Juve, where Italian taxation allows him to earn a higher net salary," Grau added.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.