EPL

Pochettino accepts Tottenham could still lose players

By Sports Desk August 17, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino accepts Tottenham remain vulnerable to losing players while the European transfer window remains open.

Although the deadline to sign new players has passed for Premier League clubs, teams on the continent can still add to their squads.

September 2 is the last day clubs from Europe can buy players, with Christian Eriksen among the Spurs stars linked with exits.

Eriksen is into the last year of his contract and is reportedly a target for Real Madrid, while Jan Vertonghen's deal is also expiring.

Pochettino, though, is unwilling to blame uncertainty over his squad for Spurs being outplayed at Manchester City on Saturday, his side claiming a 2-2 draw at the home of the champions after Gabriel Jesus' late goal was disallowed by VAR.

"I think it's not an excuse. I am not complaining about the situation, only explaining it," he told reporters. "Of course, we still need to wait to see what happens with our squad. Maybe some players are still in a situation where things can happen.

"We are not a closed squad where nobody is going to move. Maybe nobody will move. The circumstances are that things are still open. The market in Europe makes things difficult in the way that we work and this type of situation doesn't help the coaching staff to create a good dynamic.

"Of course, we are going to start our sixth season at Tottenham and I think we're world champions at adapting ourselves to different circumstances. It's a great experience. We are going to be one of the best coaching staffs in the world at adapting to circumstances.

"Today when you play against a team like Manchester City, with all the circumstances we have inside our team, I think 2-2 and a point is massive.

"Credit to the team and everyone who is working hard, trying to keep going, working, trying to not be focused on the circumstances, just positive, faith and hope. That is massive.

"I don't know if people realise or not. I don't care about that. Only that the circumstances are not the best and the challenge is massive. So happy because the will of the players, their commitment and with all the circumstances we're trying to get a good result for the club and for our fans."

City thought they had claimed all three points in added time when Jesus finished well, but the goal was ruled out after a VAR check found the ball hit Aymeric Laporte on the arm in the build-up.

"I accept now that the VAR is in football. I was a little bit critical in the past," Pochettino added. "That wasn't nice for the people to hear from me. I love football that was 30 years ago or more.

"Still I am watching football from the past. I love it and the way the referee was the boss. It's not another person who can make a decision. It's up to him if he sees it or not, not whether it was wrong or right.

"Now we give it to technology and the new era in football. We're going to accept the rules. I will accept in the future because for sure in the future some decisions will be against us. I'm going to accept it in the same way with the same face. The rules are the rules and the VAR is here."

Related items

  • Silva compares Everton's Kean to Liverpool favourite Fabinho Silva compares Everton's Kean to Liverpool favourite Fabinho

    Moise Kean's stuttering start to life at Everton can be compared to how Liverpool regular Fabinho began his career at Anfield, says Marco Silva.

    Kean was signed by Everton from Serie A giants Juventus for a reported fee of £27.4million (€30m) in the close season.

    However, the teenager is yet to score a goal for the club, having made 11 appearances across all competitions so far, though only four of those have been starts.

    He was left out of Everton's squad for the 2-1 win over Southampton earlier in November as punishment for missing the start of a team meeting, with Italy coach Roberto Mancini - who has dropped Kean for a similar lack of discipline in the past - subsequently advising the former Juve youngster to "find a club that lets him always play."

    But Silva has confirmed Kean - who scored twice in Italy Under-21s' win over Armenia in midweek - will be in Everton's squad for Saturday's encounter with Norwich City, and has compared his first few months at Goodison Park to the struggles endured by Fabinho, who had to wait until late October to start a Premier League match for the Toffees' city rivals Liverpool last season.

    "He wants to play more. Like all of the players we have," Silva told a news conference. 

    "We have to look for him and all the games we have played and he has played. He has some starts in the Premier League, some in the EFL Cup, you are not talking about a player who didn't play at all.

    "You have many examples of players with more experience than him coming to the Premier League and [at first] they didn't play.

    "I think you have an example not really far, Fabinho, a player more experienced, a big amount of money, first six months, he didn't play. Most of the games he was in the stands.

    "He's not the only example, I can give more, but the most important thing for Moise is to keep teaching him, for him to adapt as fast as he can. 

    "Moise has all the support here. He has all the support from me, his team-mates. What is the most important thing is what I speak to him directly."

  • Celtic fined by UEFA over banner and chanting Celtic fined by UEFA over banner and chanting

    Celtic have been fined €15,000 (£12,886) by UEFA for obsence chanting and displaying an "illicit banner" in their Europa League win against Lazio at Celtic Park last month.

    Home supporters unveiled several banners ahead of the game, including one depicting former Italian prime minister Benito Mussolini hanging upside down.

    Another contained a message in Italian that translated to "f*** off".

    UEFA's control, ethics and disciplinary body has also fined Lazio €10,000 (£8,593) for "illicit chanting" during the meeting on October 24, which Celtic won 2-1.

    Meanwhile, Club Brugge have been fined €14,000 for breaching safety regulations by blocking the stairways during their home Champions League clash with Paris Saint-Germain a month ago.

    Ligue 1 champions PSG have been told to pay €50,000 and threatened with a one-match away ban for supporters if they offend again in the next 12 months after setting off fireworks in the same match.

  • Ederson returns as City look to bounce back against Chelsea Ederson returns as City look to bounce back against Chelsea

    Manchester City will welcome back goalkeeper Ederson for the Premier League visit of Chelsea on Saturday.

    The Brazil international suffered a thigh injury during City's 1-1 Champions League draw at Atalanta earlier this month, ruling him out of the 3-1 defeat at Liverpool where understudy Claudio Bravo deputised.

    The reverse gave Jurgen Klopp's men a nine-point advantage over City at the Premier League summit and the reigning champions lie fourth, a point and a place behind their weekend opponents.

    Manager Pep Guardiola can therefore be grateful Ederson's brief but keenly felt absence is at an end.

    Asked whether his number one would be fit at a pre-match news conference, Guardiola replied: "Yep. He trained the last two or three days without pain."

    The fallout from City's loss at Anfield extended to a confrontation between Raheem Sterling and Liverpool defender Joe Gomez while on international duty.

    Manager Gareth Southgate elected to stand down Sterling for England's 7-0 Euro 2020 qualifying win over Montenegro before restoring him to face Kosovo, but Guardiola believes the episode is done and dusted for his star attacker.

    "I spoke with him. He's fine," he said.

    "He said Joe is an excellent guy and they have a good relationship.

    "It sometimes happens."

    Asked whether such a flashpoint mirrored the widely reported hostility between Barcelona and Real Madrid players on international duty during his time in Spain, Guardiola was somewhat sceptical.

    "I don't think so. [There is] no comparison," he replied.

    Guardiola must do without Bernardo Silva against Chelsea, after the Football Association imposed a one-match ban and an education course upon the Portugal playmaker for a racially insensitive tweet he sent to team-mate Benjamin Mendy.

    Throughout the affair, Guardiola has staunchly defended Silva's character as opposed to engaging with what offence might have been caused elsewhere, earning criticism in some quarters.

    Nevertheless, he sounded a similar tone on Friday.

    "In that situation the less important thing is the fact we are going to miss him," he said.

    "He has been accused of something he is not, so if they want to pick up someone to show something he was the right person.

    "He will be careful using the social media. If this can help to do a better society, okay. I'm pretty sure Bernardo accepts this punishment.

    "He is not like he has been accused. They don't know him."

    Despite such controversies and long-term injuries to the likes of Leroy Sane and Aymeric Laporte, Guardiola remained bullish over his team's prospects of mounting a credible title defence.

    "A few weeks ago there was just two contenders and for the rest it was impossible, now it's four and maybe six in a few days," he added.

    "We're in November, a long time to play and we try to focus on the next one."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.