Messi misses Barcelona's LaLiga opener

By Sports Desk August 15, 2019

Lionel Messi is not in the Barcelona squad for the first game of their LaLiga title defence.

Barca go to Athletic Bilbao on Friday to open the 2019-20 season but they will be without their inspirational captain.

Messi has not featured during pre-season due to a calf injury and he was not present in the open section of Barca's training session on Thursday.

Ahead of the workout, former Athletic head coach Valverde had suggested Messi would not be able to take his place in the squad.

"We're not going to take risks with players and certainly not with him," Valverde told a news conference ahead of his return to San Mames.

"He's not trained with the team since they came back and it's different to train in isolation. We'll wait a little to see how his recovery goes, it's going well I understand, but we have to wait and see."

Philippe Coutinho and Ivan Rakitic are included in the travelling squad despite reports they could leave Barca as part of a deal with Paris Saint-Germain for the potential return of Neymar.

Antoine Griezmann is in line to make his league debut for Barcelona after joining from Atletico Madrid, with fellow new arrivals Frenkie de Jong and Junior Firpo also included, but midfielder Arthur misses out.

Related items

  • Setien and Valverde not that different, says Barcelona star De Jong Setien and Valverde not that different, says Barcelona star De Jong

    Barcelona midfielder Frenkie de Jong says tactics have not changed much since Quique Setien took over as head coach from Ernesto Valverde.

    Valverde was sacked following the 3-2 defeat to Atletico Madrid in the Supercopa de Espana semi-finals, with Setien – an advocate of Johan Cruyff's possession-based approach – named as his successor on a two-and-a-half-year deal.

    The 61-year-old appears to have had a prompt influence on Barca's style, the Catalans enjoying 82.4 per cent of the ball in the LaLiga win over Granada and 78 per cent in Wednesday's Copa del Rey victory in Ibiza.

    Barca only managed three goals across those two games, though, suggesting they are yet to find a fluency to their attacking play – something for which Valverde was often criticised.

    And De Jong says Setien has not made many alterations yet to the team's approach, telling reporters at a sponsor event on Thursday: "He doesn't ask anything concrete of me. The idea he has is the same as Valverde, the style of Barcelona possession.


    "The only things that have changed are small details, but the intention is to have the ball.

    "It seems like I've adapted easily, and I'm happy, but I know I can do much better. I also believe we have a lot of room to evolve as a team and we'll be better throughout the season."

    De Jong signed for Barca last January but did not move until the end of the season, helping Ajax to the Eredivisie title and the Champions League semi-finals before his departure.

    The Netherlands midfielder is now hoping to go further in European competition, perhaps as part of a treble.

    "I want to win every trophy but, if I had to choose one, I'd choose the Champions League, although I want to lift LaLiga and the Copa del Rey," he said.

    "Last year, Barcelona-Ajax would have been a beautiful final. Hopefully, I can be there this year."

  • Barcelona hot prospect Barry joins Villa in seven-figure deal Barcelona hot prospect Barry joins Villa in seven-figure deal

    Aston Villa have paid Barcelona €1million for 16-year-old English striker Louie Barry - predicting he could become "an outstanding number nine" with the club.

    England Under-17 international Barry joined Barcelona from Villa's neighbours West Brom in July last year and was placed in the club's La Masia academy.

    However, Barry is cutting his time short with the Camp Nou giants in favour of a chance at making the grade at Villa.

    Barcelona announced in a statement: "Louie Barry is leaving FC Barcelona to join Aston Villa. The Villans will pay 1,048,000 euros to acquire the 16-year-old striker."

    Barry made his debut for Barcelona's youth team in October and scored two goals in seven domestic league games, also appearing as a substitute in three UEFA Youth League matches.

    Barcelona said he had demonstrated an "exemplary attitude" during his time at the club, while Villa were thrilled with their business.

    Villa academy manager Mark Harrison said: "It sends a powerful message about the ambition of this football club.

    "We're delighted - Louie is a local person and his family are all Villa fans, as is Louie.

    "He is still a very young man but as he's developed, he's always been one player that you always recognise as having outstanding attributes."

    Harrison told VillaTV: "He's got a fantastic mentality, he's desperate to do well for this football club.

    "He's really driven, he's got great family support, but in terms of what he can achieve, we firmly believe that he can be an outstanding number nine for this football club."

  • Podolski joins Turkish Super Lig side Antalyaspor Podolski joins Turkish Super Lig side Antalyaspor

    Lukas Podolski has joined struggling Turkish Super Lig side Antalyaspor on a free transfer after leaving Vissel Kobe.

    Former Germany international Podolski had been with Vissel since 2017, having joined the Japanese club from Galatasaray, and was linked with Malaysian champions Johor Darul Ta'zim after visiting their training ground.

    The 34-year-old has instead returned to Turkey with Antalyaspor, who finished seventh last season but are in the relegation zone after 18 games in 2019-20.

    World Cup winner and former Arsenal and Bayern Munich forward Podolski, who will wear the number 11 shirt for his new side, has also been in talks with Cologne over taking up a role at the German club following his retirement.

© 2020 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.