Dybala no closer to Juventus exit amid Icardi speculation

By Sports Desk August 14, 2019

Paulo Dybala is no closer to leaving Juventus, according to the club's chief football officer, Fabio Paratici.

Dybala was linked with Manchester United and Tottenham before the Premier League's transfer window closed last week.

A move did not materialise, and Dybala instead reported for pre-season training in Turin, with the forward scoring twice in Wednesday's traditional warm-up friendly with the Juve Primavera side.

A switch to Inter has also been mooted, with that deal potentially seeing Mauro Icardi, who is out of favour at San Siro, joining the Serie A champions in return.

However, Paratici told Sky Sport Italia there has not been much progress on Dybala's future, or that of any other Juve players.

"The market is open and there is interest, but there are no names closer to a sale," he said.

"[Dybala] is a Juve player – indeed, he is a great Juve player. As I said, during the transfer market, there are discussions and negotiations."

He added on Icardi: "Right now he's an Inter player and we don't talk about him. We have [Gonzalo] Higuain and [Mario] Mandzukic who are great attackers: I wouldn't talk about others, but about ours. We are happy with those we have."

Juve's new head coach Maurizio Sarri this week accused the club of following a transfer policy that has led them to an "embarrassing" situation, with an overly large squad meaning he could be forced to leave some senior players out of the list for the Champions League group stage.

Paratici admits there is a need to move players on, with Luca Pellegrini close to a loan move to Cagliari, but says it will be difficult to find exits for Mattia Perin and Marko Pjaca while they recover from injuries.

"As with all transfer windows, there is a lot of chatter and not many actual deals done, but we are calm and confident," Paratici added.

"It's not that there is an excess of players, but rather a list that neither the coach nor I can do anything about. We can only use 21, and just one 'local' homegrown player. Therefore, the players who are not in that list of 22 have to go.

"At the moment there are six extra players, but two of these, Perin and Pjaca, are unlikely to be transferred in this market and another, Luca Pellegrini, will probably go to Cagliari in the next few hours."

It has been a close season of upheaval at Juve, who have sold players including Joao Cancelo, Moise Kean and Leonardo Spinazzola, with defender Daniele Rugani linked with Roma and Monaco.

Matthijs de Ligt, Danilo, Pellegrini and Merih Demiral are among those to have joined Sarri's squad, while veteran goalkeeper Gianluigi Buffon returned after a single season with Paris Saint-Germain.

Related items

  • Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023 Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023

    Timo Werner has signed a new contract until 2023 with RB Leipzig, preventing him leaving on a free transfer next year.

    Werner, 23, has been strongly linked with a move to Bayern Munich in recent months, as the Bundesliga champions look to refresh their squad with younger talent.

    But the Germany international looks set to remain at Leipzig for the time being, with the contract extension putting the club in a much stronger negotiating position for any future transfer.

    Managing director Oliver Mintzlaff said: "We are glad that the negotiations with Timo Werner have now come to a positive conclusion and he has decided to extend the contract with us.

    "We have had many intensive discussions over a long period of time and have been very attentive to and valued by Timo.

    "We are glad that we now have clarity and are pleased that Timo remains an important part of our team."

    With Bayern reportedly unwilling to meet Leipzig's valuation of €40million, it was claimed the Bavarians planned to wait until his contract expired and lure him away on a free transfer.

    The extension ends that plan, although media reports suggest Werner's new deal does include a release clause of €30m, bringing his price down significantly.

    Either way, Werner insists he is excited to continue developing with Leipzig.

    "I'm glad that I signed with RB Leipzig and thus extended my contract," he said. "Of course, this process has been going on for a very long time, but I really wanted to be completely sure that I could take the next steps in the development of this club.

    "And for the right decisions you just need a little longer. Now I can fully concentrate on playing as successful a season as possible with our team."

  • BREAKING NEWS: Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023 BREAKING NEWS: Werner extends RB Leipzig contract to 2023
    Timo Werner has signed a new contract until 2023 with RB Leipzig, preventing him leaving on a free transfer next year.
  • Dybala's Man United move didn't collapse because of me, insists agent Dybala's Man United move didn't collapse because of me, insists agent

    Paulo Dybala's agent insists he is not to blame for the collapse of the Argentina forward's proposed move to Manchester United.

    The Juventus star looked to be close to an exit this month as the Old Lady attempted to prise Romelu Lukaku away from United, reportedly offering Dybala as part of the deal.

    While a breakthrough initially appeared possible, media reports began to shed light on various apparent issues in the negotiations.

    Uncertainty over Dybala's image rights was one reported stumbling block, while it was also claimed his agent – Jorge Antun – had demanded an exorbitant €15million commission to get the deal over the line.

    Ultimately United and Juve failed reach an agreement and Lukaku joined Inter, but Antun insists the breakdown in discussions was not because of him.

    "Yes, I talked to the English club," Antun told Tuttosport. "But the commission stories are untrue. There were just issues between the clubs."

    Rumours of Dybala leaving have been prominent ever since Maurizio Sarri's appointment as Juve's head coach, with the former Napoli boss reportedly viewing him as expendable due to tactical reasons, claims backed up by him being an unused substitute in Saturday's 1-0 win at Parma.

    The latest club to emerge as a potential destination is Paris Saint-Germain and, although Antun accepts things can change very quickly, he claims he is not preparing for any imminent talks in the French capital.

    "No, I don't have any plans [to go to Paris]," he said. "Paulo must enjoy the moment with Juventus. What will happen in the future, I don't know."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.