PSG not the same without Neymar – Mbappe

By Sports Desk August 11, 2019

Kylian Mbappe admitted Ligue 1 champions Paris Saint-Germain cannot be the same without Neymar amid growing speculation over his future.

Neymar has been linked to former club Barcelona and LaLiga giants Real Madrid, and he was absent as PSG opened their title defence with a 3-0 win over Nimes on Sunday.

PSG's sporting director Leonardo hinted Neymar – who cost a world-record €222million to land from Barca in 2017 – could be close to leaving the French capital.

Asked if PSG can improve this season, star team-mate Mbappe told Canal+: "It depends, we will try.

"But we will not lie; we must also see what will happen with Neymar. It's not the same team without Neymar as it is with him. But we will try to do it for the fans."

Neymar has scored 34 goals in 37 Ligue 1 appearances despite both his seasons at PSG being interrupted by serious foot injuries.

PSG and Brazil team-mate Marquinhos played down the speculation as he preferred to focus on football.

"Everyone is focused on our game, and our philosophy," Marquinhos added via Canal+. "The rest, we leave it to the board and Neymar.

"They know very well what to do. We really have to think about the pitch, not the transfers."

Related items

  • Guardiola concerned over player welfare following festive fixture changes Guardiola concerned over player welfare following festive fixture changes

    Pep Guardiola admitted "the broadcasters are the bosses" in response to Manchester City's rearranged festive fixture list - but again called for players to receive greater protection amid punishing schedules.

    City were initially set to travel to Wolves on Boxing Day but that game has been pushed back by 24 hours for live coverage, with the Sheffield United home game moved to December 29.

    Still, they have less than 48 hours of rest between those two fixtures - with the reigning Premier League champions then starting 2020 by hosting Everton on January 1.

    While a fan of playing during the Christmas period, a custom that he has become used to since moving to England, Guardiola fears the desire to squeeze in so many matches is a major concern.

    He used the example of Neymar - who suffered a hamstring injury while playing for Brazil in a friendly against Nigeria last week, ruling him out for up to four weeks - as an example of the risks of playing too often.

    Asked for his thoughts about City's fixture changes announced this week, Guardiola told the media: "It is what it is. Since I came here, every season it happened the same.

    "The broadcasters are the bosses in this situation. I love to play Boxing Day and winter time when everybody stops, when families and kids go the stadiums and enjoy the games. I like it.

    "The problem is the same. So now Neymar is injured again, but they travel for friendly games in Nigeria or Abu Dhabi, or wherever far away, then come back.

    "We don't protect the players – the system doesn't protect them. It's too much. Honestly, it's too much."

    Guardiola was speaking ahead of Saturday's trip to Crystal Palace - a game that could see both Kevin De Bruyne and John Stones return from injury.

    While stopping short of confirming the duo will be available to feature at Selhurst Park, the City boss was upbeat over their outlook.

    "Some of them are better. Kevin is back and John trained in the last two days and is good," he said. "[Benjamin] Mendy as well, maybe later, but as well."

    Sergio Aguero was involved in a minor car crash in midweek, but Guardiola had positive news on the striker's status: "He is fine. The car is not fine."

  • Juventus striker Mandzukic agrees to stay out of training Juventus striker Mandzukic agrees to stay out of training

    Mario Mandzukic's days at Juventus look to be numbered after Maurizio Sarri confirmed the forward will not take part in training unless his transfer situation changes.

    Mandzukic, 33, has not played a single competitive minute since Sarri took charge at Allianz Stadium and was left off Juve's 22-man list for the Champions League.

    AC Milan are rumoured to have joined Manchester United in the race for the Bianconeri outcast, who reportedly held talks with Qatari side Al Rayyan last month

    Mandzukic is said to want to explore his options and an understanding has been reached for him to refrain from training, a move that reduces chances of injury ahead of a potential transfer.

    However, Sarri did not entirely rule out the possibility of the Croatian returning to the fold.

    "Mandzukic is not training with us, in agreement with the club," the Juve head coach told a news conference on Friday. "If the agreement changes, I am open to everything."

    While the former Wolfsburg, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid attacker is out of the frame for now, Sarri will regain defender Danilo for Saturday's home game against Bologna.

    The full-back has recovered from a thigh injury and is set to join the Aaron Ramsey in the matchday squad, the midfielder having overcome the minor muscle problem that kept him out of Wales duty.

    Juve head into the weekend as Serie A leaders thanks to their 2-1 win over title rivals Inter before the international break.

    The victory was seen as a vindication of the new playing style Sarri has brought to the club but he is hesitant to place too much emphasis on a single result.

    "I've been living with scepticism for years, so it doesn't affect me," the ex-Chelsea boss said.

    "The rankings in the table right now are not important. We have to concentrate on finding the right continuity in terms of performance.

    "That game against Inter was important but it has passed, so we need to focus only on the next one.

    "It's always difficult starting again after the international break. It's not easy for the players and there are a lot of risks."

  • It's personal - Zidane won't divulge details of Pogba meeting It's personal - Zidane won't divulge details of Pogba meeting

    Zinedine Zidane insists his meeting with Paul Pogba in Dubai was "pure chance" – but the Real Madrid boss will not disclose what they discussed.

    Manchester United star Pogba, who has been in Dubai as part of his recovery from an ankle problem, was photographed meeting Zidane during his trip to the region for the Dubai Artificial Intelligence in Sport (DAIS) Conference and Exhibition.

    United boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer insisted he had "no problem at all" with one of his most important players being pictured speaking with the head coach of a club who are among the favourites to try to sign him.

    Pogba was heavily linked with a move to Madrid in the previous transfer window after indicating he wanted a new challenge and it is likely the France international will be the subject of rumours once more in January.

    Zidane is not prepared to look ahead to the next transfer window just yet, but he would not go into detail about his chat with his compatriot.

    "It was pure chance," he told a news conference on Friday when asked about the meeting. "He was there and I was doing the talk and, as we know each other, we spoke. But it's personal – I'm not going to tell you what we talked about.

    "We've known each other for a long time, we crossed paths, we stopped, and we talked.

    "There are a lot of options, for every club [in January]. When we come to this date, the clubs will decide. We're going to play with 11 players tomorrow [Saturday, against Real Mallorca] and there will be players on the bench. We'll find a solution.

    "We'll be able to sign players until the end of January, but what matters to me is the game [against Mallorca]. I'm not thinking about reinforcements. That's a long way off."

    Zidane's immediate concern is Saturday's trip to Mallorca, which Madrid will make without the injured Luka Modric, Gareth Bale, Toni Kroos and Lucas Vazquez.

    Zidane hinted he may choose to call on Federico Valverde in midfield, given his limited options.

    "Modric won't be there, Bale won't be there. Kroos won't be with us, either, nor will Lucas...," he said. "We're always playing, travelling and we never stop, so this can happen.

    "[Valverde] is very good, like everyone, but we have 25 players and I have to choose the 11 and the 18 for every game. He can play box-to-box and that's important. He has personality, he wants to do well all the time, he's very demanding of himself and that's good for improvement."

    Given Karim Benzema's form this season, it looks unlikely striker Luka Jovic will make only a third LaLiga start since his reported €60million transfer from Eintracht Frankfurt.

    Zidane, though, insists the 21-year-old will get his chance to impress.

    "He's not discouraged. He knows the situation," he added of Jovic, who has played just 218 minutes this season for his club.

    "He's a player who just arrived and he's much better, he's speaking Spanish bit by bit, training well and I will be using him. He's not played much so far, but I'll use him."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.