Millwall fined £10,000 over racist chants in Everton cup tie

By Sports Desk August 01, 2019

Millwall have been fined £10,000 and ordered to "implement an action plan" after the Football Association (FA) ruled a section of the club's supporters were guilty of racist chanting in an FA Cup tie against Everton.

The FA launched an investigation after footage emerged on social media that appeared to show some fans taunting opposition spectators with a song including a derogatory term about people of south Asian descent during the fixture at The Den on January 26.

Millwall were subsequently charged with failing to control their fans and hit out at the "abhorrent" racist abuse in a club statement.

It was ruled by the FA that Millwall failed to "use all due diligence" to ensure the club's supporters did not use racist language.

"An independent Regulatory Commission has ordered Millwall FC to implement an action plan and fined the club £10,000," an FA spokesperson said.

"The Commission found that the club had failed to use all due diligence to ensure its responsibility was discharged under FA Rule E21 in respect of the charge against it for a breach of FA Rule E20.

"The FA investigated allegations of discriminatory behaviour and chanting during the club’s Emirates FA Cup fixture against Everton FC on 26 January 2019 after becoming aware of a video posted on social media.

"The FA subsequently alleged that the club failed to ensure its spectators, and all persons purporting to be its supporters or followers, conducted themselves in an orderly fashion and refrained from using abusive and/or insulting words, which included a reference to race and/or ethnic origin and/or colour, during the fixture."

Millwall confirmed they will not appeal but said they "fundamentally disagree with several elements which have shaped the subsequent sanction against [us]".

The club have vowed to work alongside anti-racism governing bodies Kick It Out and Show Racism The Red Card.

Related items

  • Umtiti and Junior fit to return for Barcelona at Eibar Umtiti and Junior fit to return for Barcelona at Eibar

    Samuel Umtiti and Junior Firpo have been passed fit to play a part in Barcelona's LaLiga clash with Eibar on Saturday.

    Centre-back Umtiti is yet to feature this season and has been out for the past six weeks with a foot injury.

    Meanwhile, versatile left-back Junior last featured in the 2-0 win over Getafe on September 28, scoring his first Barca goal, before a hamstring complaint.

    Both players were named in Thursday's travelling squad and then took part in Friday's training session ahead of the early kick-off on Saturday.

    The LaLiga champions, who are second in the table after three straight wins, confirmed the duo had been cleared to play.

  • Real Madrid agree to Barcelona proposal of December 18 Clasico Real Madrid agree to Barcelona proposal of December 18 Clasico

    Real Madrid have agreed with Barcelona's suggestion to move the first LaLiga Clasico of the season to December 18.

    The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) confirmed on Friday that it had postponed the match at Camp Nou due to safety concerns amid the ongoing political tensions and protests in Catalonia.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent unilateral declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca were due to host Madrid, prompting the RFEF to intervene.

    The Competition Committee has told the two clubs to agree to a revised date for the game before next Monday and Barca suggested December 18 as the best option.

    In a statement released later on Friday, Madrid said: "In light of the Competition Committee ruling which postpones the match scheduled to be played on Saturday October 26 between Barcelona and Real Madrid, and states the clubs must agree a new date for the fixture, Real Madrid wishes to communicate that the date proposed by both said clubs is December 18."

    Speaking earlier, head coach Zinedine Zidane said he was prepared to adapt to any plans to reschedule the fixture.

    "If we have to play on the 26th, we will, and if we have to change, the important thing is to be prepared," he told a news conference.

    "I know there is a lot of debate because it's logical, but my position as coach is this: to be ready on the date that the appropriate person tells us. We'll adapt.

    "I have a preference but I'm not going to tell you. We know it could be the seventh, the eighteenth – we'll adapt to this."

    December 18, a Wednesday, is seen by many as an appropriate date as neither Barca nor Madrid are involved in the planned Copa del Rey fixtures on that day.

    LaLiga reportedly put forward December 7 as its preferred date, as it would keep the match on a Saturday, but this would require Barca's meeting with Real Mallorca and Madrid's game against Espanyol to be moved.

    Barca and Madrid are also playing their final Champions League group games, away to Inter and Club Brugge respectively, within four days after December 7.

  • Juventus striker Mandzukic agrees to stay out of training Juventus striker Mandzukic agrees to stay out of training

    Mario Mandzukic's days at Juventus look to be numbered after Maurizio Sarri confirmed the forward will not take part in training unless his transfer situation changes.

    Mandzukic, 33, has not played a single competitive minute since Sarri took charge at Allianz Stadium and was left off Juve's 22-man list for the Champions League.

    AC Milan are rumoured to have joined Manchester United in the race for the Bianconeri outcast, who reportedly held talks with Qatari side Al Rayyan last month

    Mandzukic is said to want to explore his options and an understanding has been reached for him to refrain from training, a move that reduces chances of injury ahead of a potential transfer.

    However, Sarri did not entirely rule out the possibility of the Croatian returning to the fold.

    "Mandzukic is not training with us, in agreement with the club," the Juve head coach told a news conference on Friday. "If the agreement changes, I am open to everything."

    While the former Wolfsburg, Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid attacker is out of the frame for now, Sarri will regain defender Danilo for Saturday's home game against Bologna.

    The full-back has recovered from a thigh injury and is set to join the Aaron Ramsey in the matchday squad, the midfielder having overcome the minor muscle problem that kept him out of Wales duty.

    Juve head into the weekend as Serie A leaders thanks to their 2-1 win over title rivals Inter before the international break.

    The victory was seen as a vindication of the new playing style Sarri has brought to the club but he is hesitant to place too much emphasis on a single result.

    "I've been living with scepticism for years, so it doesn't affect me," the ex-Chelsea boss said.

    "The rankings in the table right now are not important. We have to concentrate on finding the right continuity in terms of performance.

    "That game against Inter was important but it has passed, so we need to focus only on the next one.

    "It's always difficult starting again after the international break. It's not easy for the players and there are a lot of risks."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.