Pochettino: Foyth's ankle injury very painful

By Sports Desk July 31, 2019

Juan Foyth sustained a "very painful" ankle injury as Tottenham beat Bayern Munich on penalties to claim the Audi Cup, said Mauricio Pochettino.

Foyth was taken off on a stretcher during the second half of Wednesday's pre-season clash at the Allianz Arena, where Spurs triumphed 6-5 on penalties after Bayern battled back from 2-0 down.

The Argentina international has been featuring at right-back, with Spurs yet to replace Kieran Trippier after his move to Atletico Madrid.

Pochettino is now awaiting an update on Foyth with the start of the Premier League season less than two weeks away.

"I need to talk with the doctor now," Pochettino told a post-match news conference.

"He twisted his ankle but at the moment I cannot update. I saw when he was leaving the pitch and he said to me his ankle was very painful. 

"For sure we will get an update in the next few hours or the next few days." 

Bayern have already lost Serge Gnabry to injury during pre-season and Kingsley Coman hobbled off shortly after his second-half introduction against Spurs.

The France international has had terrible luck with fitness throughout his career, while Bayern are yet to replace departed wingers Arjen Robben and Franck Ribery.

Coman has been tipped to step up in the absence of the veteran duo and Kovac does not think the knock he took is serious.

"It does not seem too bad," Kovac said to German broadcaster ZDF. "It was just a kick."

Reports in Germany, meanwhile, claim Bayern have submitted an official offer to Manchester City for Germany winger Leroy Sane.

Related items

  • Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga Leicester pledge to support striker Vardy after WAG saga

    Leicester City striker Jamie Vardy has the support of the club after the spat between his wife Rebekah Vardy and Coleen Rooney, manager Brendan Rodgers has said.

    Coleen Rooney, wife of England's record goalscorer Wayne Rooney, last week alleged that stories about her personal life had been leaked to a newspaper by someone with access to Rebekah Vardy's Instagram account.

    By changing her privacy settings to mean only those logged in on Rebekah Vardy's account could view her Instagram stories, Coleen Rooney said she posted a series of fabricated tales about her personal life which made their way into print.

    Rebekah Vardy strenuously denied any involvement in passing on details to The Sun newspaper and hit back at Coleen Rooney.

    Rooney was nicknamed 'WAGatha Christie' by British media for the elaborate way in which she claimed to have worked out how the stories reached the public domain.

    Rebekah Vardy blamed "various people having access to my insta" and said she was "disgusted" to have to deny involvement at a time when she was heavily pregnant.

    The unusual saga came during football's international break. Wayne Rooney and Jamie Vardy are former England team-mates but have retired from playing for their country.

    Rodgers addressed the matter at a news conference on Thursday and said: "It's something that is personal and outside of our remit. All we ever offer is support to the players and their families.

    "I was aware of what went on last week. I actually gave Jamie an extra few days away with his family to have a rest and I'm sure that was a difficult week for them. We're here to support him, and his family if they need it."

    Rodgers added: "I spoke to Jamie earlier on in the week. He has trained fine and been great this week."

    Wayne Rooney, who is also Manchester United's record scorer, will return to English football following his time with MLS team DC United when he joins Championship club Derby County in January.

    Jamie Vardy has scored five Premier League goals for Leicester this season, with Rodgers' men riding high in fourth position. They play Burnley on Saturday.

  • Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts Benteke & Tomkins renew Crystal Palace contracts

    Christian Benteke and James Tomkins have signed new deals with Crystal Palace, the Premier League club have announced.

    Belgium striker Benteke has scored just one top-flight goal since the start of last season and was due to be out of contract next June.

    The 28-year-old has agreed to stay on for a further 12 months, however, while centre-back Tomkins has extended his deal through to the end of 2021-22.

    Tomkins has played 87 times for the south London side since joining in 2016, but he has not featured since injuring his groin in April.

    Palace confirmed the new deals on their official website on Thursday and chairman Steve Parish added: "I'm pleased that agreements have been reached with these two important senior players. 

    "Both James and Christian bring vast Premier League experience, commitment and professionalism to the squad.  

    "These new deals show that we recognise their levels of performance in recent seasons, that we believe in both players, and that they are hugely motivated by the direction the club is heading."

  • Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict Spanish federation poised to deliver Clasico verdict

    A decision on whether next week's Clasico between Barcelona and Real Madrid can go ahead at Camp Nou is set to be made on Thursday, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales said.

    Violent scenes broke out in Barcelona at the start of the week after nine Catalan political leaders received long prison sentences for their roles in the region's 2017 referendum and subsequent declaration of independence.

    A rally in the city has been called by pro-independence politicians for October 26, the day Barca are due to host bitter rivals Madrid.

    Barcelona's main airport was briefly closed on Tuesday due to the tension, with Spanish league officials raising concern the Clasico could be affected by protests.

    One option would be to move the game to Madrid and for Barca to host the second Clasico of the season, but that was opposed by Blaugrana head coach Ernesto Valverde on Thursday.

    There have also been suggestions the match should be postponed and an alternative date in the calendar found. Valverde thinks the game should go ahead as planned.

    Rubiales said Barca and Madrid swiftly submitted their observations on the matter and the RFEF would be seeking to make an early decision.

    "I can assure that we will work to try to have a resolution this evening, because there are people involved, supporters with booked trips, tickets, media, and that is what we have done," Rubiales said.

    "Regarding the government, what I can say is that this is a matter of football, and it is the competition committee which has to decide. So the government hasn't contacted us or asked for one or another thing."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.