EPL

Pochettino sorry for Tottenham tough tackles against Manchester United

By Sports Desk July 25, 2019

Mauricio Pochettino has apologised to Manchester United over Tottenham's tough tackles during Thursday's International Champions Cup game.

Angel Gomes hit a late winner for United after Lucas Moura's deflected shot cancelled out Anthony Martial's opener in China.

Eric Bailly hurt his knee trying to block a shot from Son Heung-min and United's new winger Daniel James seemed to be targeted by Tottenham throughout, with Pochettino acknowledging his side were perhaps overly aggressive in their 2-1 defeat.

"I was a little bit annoyed about some situations, I was not happy," the Tottenham boss told reporters. "It was a friendly game and in some situations of course when you are tired, when it’s so hot you are not right with the tempo to arrive at the actions, sometimes you arrive late and something can happen.

"I apologise on behalf of our players to Manchester United."

Pochettino added: "It wasn't their intention, but sometimes when you are tired you arrive late and some things can happen.

"And I was worried because in this period of preparation it is sometimes you need to be aggressive and you need to play with passion but sometimes the focus is to build your fitness and develop the way you want to play.

"Of course I was worried, Manchester United, Eric Bailly got injured and I am sorry for that but he was alone.

"And always when the players start to build their fitness and start to fight for their place in the team, when something happens in the pre-season it's always tough and I was a little bit worried, but in the second half the game was a bit more relaxed."

A reported £25million clause in Toby Alderweireld's Spurs contract is said to expire on Thursday, but Pochettino was unwilling to discuss the centre-back's future.

"Nothing to say about that," he added. "I am very focused on working with the players that we have and the club provide us, the coaching staff, and try to help them to improve and work with the players who we are going to have at the end of the transfer market.

"My position from now for the future so you know, otherwise every time... I'm not going to talk about signing players, selling players, extending the contract of the players or not extending the contract of the players. That is going to be all through the club to update you if they want.

"I'm not going to communicate or talk about that, I'm going to talk about managing the squad that we have. To make clear because in the future if you're going to ask me it'll be a little bit weird because I won't answer because I don't have the answer."

Related items

  • Dembele appeal rejected but winger available for postponed Clasico Dembele appeal rejected but winger available for postponed Clasico

    Barcelona's appeal to have Ousmane Dembele's two-game ban reduced to one has been rejected by the Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF).

    Dembele was sent off in the closing minutes of Barca's 4-0 LaLiga win over Sevilla this month following a confrontation with referee Antonio Miguel Mateu Lahoz, who had just given debutant Ronald Araujo a red card for a foul on Javier Hernandez.

    Barcelona's initial appeal against Dembele's red card was dismissed and he was ruled out of the club's next two league matches.

    With the France forward seemingly set to miss the Clasico against Real Madrid, which had been scheduled for October 26, Barca then attempted to have his ban halved.

    Their efforts proved in vain but Dembele will now be available for the first LaLiga Clasico of the season, with the fixture having been postponed due to safety concerns amid the ongoing political tensions and protests in Catalonia.

    Instead, the former Borussia Dortmund star will miss Saturday's match against Eibar and the meeting with Real Valladolid a week on Tuesday.

    The Camp Nou Clasico appears set to be played on December 18 after both Barca and Madrid proposed the date on Friday.

    Dembele has made three league appearances for Barca this season, scoring once - against Sevilla.

  • Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies' Ancelotti thanks De Laurentiis for clearing up Napoli 'lies'

    Carlo Ancelotti is pleased to have the full backing of Aurelio De Laurentiis and has thanked Napoli's chairman for clarifying "lies" that surfaced in the media.

    Italian outlet Corriere dello Sport this month reported Ancelotti is considering his future at Stadio San Paolo following a difficult run of form.

    Napoli entered the international break on the back of one win in four matches in all competitions and already trail Serie A leaders Juventus by six points.

    De Laurentiis this week rubbished suggestions he had fallen out with Ancelotti and assured the veteran coach he can stay on for another decade should he wish.

    Ancelotti has reiterated he is happy in Naples and is keen to get his side's campaign back on track, starting with victory at home to Hellas Verona on Saturday.

    "De Laurentiis' comments cleared up the rubbish we've heard people saying about us," he said at Friday's pre-match news conference.

    "We have an excellent relationship and I'm very happy here. What the president said came from the heart. 

    "I'm pleased he has confidence in me and I'm also happy he cleared up some of the lies that have been going around.

    "What matters now is that we look forward and get back to winning again. We have a very important game tomorrow which gives us the chance to pick up three points and get going again."

    Back-to-back goalless draws have been compounded by tension between Ancelotti and captain Lorenzo Insigne, who was left out of the squad for the stalemate with Genk.

    Insigne admitted this week he does not always see eye-to-eye with his coach, though Ancelotti has talked up the forward's importance.

    "The situation with Lorenzo is not at all complicated," he said. "He made an excellent start to the season then he had a dip in form and I decided to rest him. 

    "He's a key player when he's relaxed, happy and able to fire up the team as he does so well. He's less effective when he's on edge because he's not able to express his full potential.

    "I didn't think he looked sharp in training and decided that it was best [to leave him out against Genk] - a strong decision perhaps but it's all cleared up. I repeat, Insigne is a hugely important player for us."

  • Greenwood signs new Man United contract Greenwood signs new Man United contract

    Mason Greenwood has signed a new long-term Manchester United contract, the club have confirmed.

    The 18-year-old forward has committed to a four-year contract, with the option to extend by a further year.

    "Having grown up as a Manchester United fan, playing for the first team is a real dream come true," Greenwood told the club's website.

    "I know that, when I play for this club, I represent the whole academy and I want to repay the faith that my coaches have shown in me with my performances on the pitch.

    "I am learning all the time from the manager and his coaching staff and I know that this is the perfect club to help me reach my potential."

    Greenwood made his Premier League debut under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in the 2-0 away defeat to Arsenal in March, with his first top-flight start coming two months later.

    He has become a regular in the first-team squad in 2019-20, making six substitute appearances in the league and starting three times in cup competitions.

    Greenwood scored his first goal for United to seal a 1-0 Europa League win over Astana at Old Trafford on September 19 and struck again in the EFL Cup draw with Rochdale, with the Red Devils ultimately progressing to the next round on penalties.

    "Mason has progressed through our outstanding academy and we are delighted with the progress he has made. At such a young age, he already has great pace and intelligence and he is such a natural finisher," Solskjaer said.

    "Since he came into the first team, he has really impressed everyone with his drive and attitude. He has all the attributes to become a top player. Mason is learning every day in training and, with his work ethic, there is no doubt that he has an excellent future ahead of him."

    Greenwood is the second United academy graduate to sign a new contract with the club this week.

    Full-back Brandon Williams, who made his debut in the Rochdale clash and started the Europa League draw with AZ, signed a three-year deal with the option of a fourth on Thursday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.