Pavard expecting big season at Bayern after beating Real Madrid

By Sports Desk July 21, 2019

Benjamin Pavard says Bayern Munich fans can expect a successful season and should not fear any "little crisis" that comes the way of the Bundesliga champions.

Niko Kovac's side beat Real Madrid 3-1 in the International Champions Cup on Sunday despite goalkeeper Sven Ulreich's late red card in Houston.

There were encouraging signs of improvement following Bayern's 2-1 loss to Arsenal last Thursday, particularly with the DFL-Supercup showdown with Borussia Dortmund now less than two weeks away.

Bayern's domestic dominance looked under serious threat from Dortmund last term, but a strong second half to the season saw them claim the league title and the DFB-Pokal.

And Pavard, who completed his move from Stuttgart after the end of 2018-19, thinks there is every reason to be optimistic heading into the new campaign.

"We were strong, we defended very well, attacked very well," he said after the win over Madrid. "We scored three goals. We conceded a goal, which is annoying, but it does not matter. We just must remember the fact we won. We feel better and better.

"Of course, it's a very big club, which has a habit of winning a lot of titles. We know that if we lose one or two matches in the season, it's a kind of little crisis. But I don't worry: we really have a very good squad and a great atmosphere. It will be okay.

"I have a lot of confidence. There is a very good atmosphere. On the pitch, we can see that everyone takes pleasure. We are making every effort together."

Bayern face AC Milan and Fenerbahce in their remaining pre-season games before meeting Dortmund on August 3 at Signal Iduna Park.

They then take on Energie Cottbus in the first round of the DFB-Pokal before getting their Bundesliga campaign underway at home to Hertha Berlin on August 16.

Related items

  • FIFA confirms final four bidders for 2023 Women's World Cup FIFA confirms final four bidders for 2023 Women's World Cup

    Brazil, Colombia and Japan will rival Australia and New Zealand for the right to host the 2023 Women's World Cup.

    A joint bid from Football Federation Australia (FFA) and New Zealand Football (NZF) for the first 32-team edition of the competition was announced in Melbourne earlier on Friday.

    FIFA has now confirmed that the Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF), Colombian Football Federation (FCF) and Japan Football Association (JFA) all submitted bids prior to the December 13 deadline.

    A proposed joint bid from North and South Korea was not included in the final shortlist, with the Korea Football Association (KFA) having withdrawn their application, citing diplomatic tension between the two countries.

    An assessment of the bids will now follow, which includes inspection visits to each member association, likely in January and February of next year.

    The eligible bids will then be presented to the FIFA Council, which will select the host at a meeting in Addis Ababa in June 2020.

    "France 2019 was certainly a watershed moment for women's football, and now it is FIFA's responsibility to take concrete measures to keep fostering the game's incredible growth," said FIFA president Gianni Infantino.

    "With the FIFA Women's World Cup generating an unprecedented interest across member associations, we are ensuring that the process to select the hosts is seamless, objective, ethical and transparent.

    "By the time the FIFA Council announces the hosts, there should be no doubt whatsoever as to why that choice was made."

    The United States won the 2019 World Cup, beating Netherlands 2-0 in the final in Lyon to defend the trophy they claimed in 2015.

  • Liverpool hand vice-captain Milner new deal Liverpool hand vice-captain Milner new deal

    James Milner has extended his contract with Liverpool to prolong his stay at the club beyond the end of this season.

    Liverpool have not announced the exact length of the agreement but it is reported to be a two-and-a-half year deal.

    The fresh terms for vice-captain Milner came on the same day the club renewed manager Jurgen Klopp's contract until 2024.

    Milner, who turns 34 in January, joined the European champions in 2015 on a free transfer from Manchester City and came off the bench in their Champions League final win over Tottenham last season.

    His previous deal with Premier League leaders Liverpool was due to expire at the end of the season but he will now remain part of Klopp's squad going forward.

    "I've been lucky and privileged to play for this club for four and a half years now," Milner said. "It has been an amazing time seeing how the club is changing and developing."

    The fresh terms for Milner capped a productive day for the Reds – who begin their Club World Cup campaign next week – after Klopp's long-term extension.

    "Obviously the gaffer waited to sign his dependent on whether I signed mine, so that makes me a feel bit more important!" he joked.

    Milner added: "We had discussions with the club and this was obviously the ideal for me, this was what I wanted to do – stay and play at the highest level as long as I can.

    "Liverpool is an unbelievable place to be and we're a very, very good football team. I enjoy being part of this football club and hopefully we can keep improving."

    Milner has played 198 games for Liverpool, 21 of those appearances coming this season.

    "Obviously winning a trophy last year, it's easy to sit back or take your foot off the gas, and we've gone the other way," said Milner.

    "You can see the drive in the squad to keep pushing and to try to play at the intensity that we play at every couple of days, which we are at the moment.

    "We'll keep striving to keep improving and getting success for this club."

  • Simeone: I want to see more of Joao Felix, too! Simeone: I want to see more of Joao Felix, too!

    Diego Simeone has responded to calls for Joao Felix to be given a more important role with Atletico Madrid by insisting he too wants to see the player in top form in every match.

    The 20-year-old forward, a €126million signing from Benfica in the previous transfer window, scored a penalty during a strong performance in the 2-0 win over Lokomotiv Moscow on Wednesday that secured Atleti's place in the last 16 of the Champions League.

    It was Joao Felix's most promising display since he returned from an ankle injury that saw him miss six matches, in which Simeone's side were criticised for a lack of cutting edge in attack.

    There are calls for the Portugal international to start Saturday's LaLiga match against Osasuna as the linchpin of the attack once more, as Atleti aim for what would be just a fourth win in 14 league games.

    Simeone, too, is eager to unleash Joao Felix and see him maintain his level of form.

    "I also want to see him every day and want to see him in the best form possible, no doubt about that," he told reporters on Friday.

    "We know what we need to do to improve in LaLiga.

    "We have a tough opponent, who have come up into the Primera Division in a very strong way, with great collective work.

    "Beyond the criticism and the opinions, we're looking for routes to get us back to having balance. This balance is more clear now, and with more regularity across the 90 minutes, there are more chances to win."

    Simeone also confirmed discussions are under way as to Atletico's plans for the January transfer window.

    They are rumoured to be prepared to go back in for Valencia striker Rodrigo Moreno, while Barcelona's Ivan Rakitic and Tottenham's Christian Eriksen have also been linked, as has Torino forward Andrea Belotti.

    "As always, we're talking with [CEO] Miguel Angel [Gil Marin] and with [sporting director] Andrea [Berta] about what the team needs," Simeone said. "But I'm only thinking about Osasuna."

    Atleti are seventh in the table after 16 matches, eight points behind both leaders Barcelona and second-placed Real Madrid, having played a game more.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.