EPL

Klopp: It's too early for contract talks with Liverpool

By Sports Desk July 18, 2019

Jurgen Klopp insisted it was too early for contract talks with Liverpool with three years still remaining on his deal.

The German led the Premier League giants to Champions League success last season and reports suggested he was set to extend his contract, which runs until 2022.

But Klopp, whose side face Borussia Dortmund in a pre-season friendly on Friday, said he was unfazed about a new deal just yet.

"I will not leave before the contract is ending. That is my side. That is why a contract is important," he told a news conference, via The Telegraph.

"We have enough time to make decisions in that department. There is no need to do it now. Three years is really a bit early to be concerned. It is just a contract.

"The owners like what I do. I like what the owners are doing. I love the team, they are brilliant. Melwood is sensational. I'm looking forward to going to [the new training ground in] Kirkby and all these things. There is always a step forward.

"We all want to keep the past and traditions and all that stuff, but there needs to be a step forward. It is important that is our attitude. You cannot make that step in three or four years by making sure that I stay until 2000-and-something. It just makes sure that I will stay until then."

Liverpool lost just one Premier League game last season, earning 97 points but falling short of a first league title since 1990.

Klopp said he was only worried about his team, who have had a quiet transfer window, but also believes champions Manchester City are again favourites.

"[I am] completely focused on Liverpool. Completely," he said.

"It would be great if we could be around Man City again because that's the only possibility to have to pass them because it is already clear they are the big favourite again. No problem with that.

"They have a very good situation, which they showed last year especially after having 100 points in the season before – the greed they showed, the determination they showed, it was just impressive."

Related items

  • Tottenham trophy target a personal ambition for Pochettino Tottenham trophy target a personal ambition for Pochettino

    Mauricio Pochettino says winning a trophy this season is a purely personal objective and not a barometer for Tottenham as a club.

    On the eve of his sixth campaign in charge, Spurs boss Pochettino admitted the time had come for him to deliver silverware.

    The comments contrasted with his previously held view that a trophy was less important than cementing a place in the Premier League's top four.

    Tottenham achieved that top-four aim last term while reaching the Champions League final, which they lost 2-0 to Liverpool.

    Pochettino claims his goals have not changed since that result and are not necessarily an accurate measure of success.

    "Of course it was always my priority [to win trophies], but it was a big priority to help the club," Pochettino told Sky Sports.

    "It doesn't change that. Always my priority is to win, to win games and trophies.

    "I think a few days ago someone asked me what my aim was for this season.

    "My personal objective is to win a trophy, but that doesn't mean that winning a trophy is compulsory, or that it will be an unsuccessful season if we do not win a trophy.

    "But personally, if at the end we do not win a trophy, for myself that is going to be an unsuccessful season.

    "But that does not mean that it will be unsuccessful for the club. That is for myself, not the collective."

  • Emery confirms contract talks for Arsenal stars Aubameyang and Lacazette Emery confirms contract talks for Arsenal stars Aubameyang and Lacazette

    Arsenal have opened contract talks with star forwards Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette, Unai Emery has confirmed.

    The Gunners strengthened their attacking options with the signing of Nicolas Pepe from Lille before the end of the transfer window and now want to tie their established front duo to new deals.

    The pair have forged a strong partnership in north London, scoring a combined 35 goals in the Premier League last term.

    Aubameyang, 30, is contracted until 2021, while 28-year-old Lacazette's deal expires at the end of the following season.

    "They are very important players for us and their contracts need to be in the same balance, as players with us and also with the contracts with the club," head coach Emery told reporters.

    "It's one circumstance, one issue now, that the club is working on.

    "[Technical director] Edu is here for that reason. There's also Raul [Sanllehi, head of football] and Huss [Fahmy, chief contract negotiator] working with the players for that.

    "It's important for them, but my focus is on preparing [for] the matches, each training session, and making sure the players are focused and concentrated for us and on the work.

    "I want the best for the club, I want the best for the players.

    "I think if they and the club are speaking about that, it's perfect."

    Arsenal have been prepared to part with big-name forwards in the recent past, losing Robin van Persie and Alexis Sanchez to Manchester United within six years of each other.

    Olivier Giroud moved to Chelsea in January 2018, the same window that saw Aubameyang arrive from Borussia Dortmund.

  • Rumour Has It: United and City to battle for Dortmund's Sancho Rumour Has It: United and City to battle for Dortmund's Sancho

    The Premier League window may have already closed, but Manchester United and Manchester City are still in the headlines.

    After going head-to-head for Harry Maguire, the two Manchester clubs are reportedly eyeing Borussia Dortmund star Jadon Sancho.

    This rumour will not go away anytime soon.

     

    TOP STORY – UNITED AND CITY BATTLING FOR SANCHO

    According to the Daily Mail, Sancho will leave Dortmund at the end of the season as rivals United and City do battle for the England international.

    Sancho was reportedly on United's list of targets during the off-season, but Dortmund were unwilling to sell their 19-year-old star.

    The English talent has flourished since joining Dortmund from Premier League champions City in 2017, and the Daily Mail claims the Bundesliga club are already looking for replacements.

     

    ROUND-UP 

    - Inter are considering a move for Man United's Alexis Sanchez after missing out on Edin Dzeko, reports Gianlucadimarzio.com. Bosnian striker Dzeko signed a new contract with Roma and Inter are now looking for alternatives, including Sanchez, free agent Fernando Llorente, Eintracht Frankfurt star Ante Rebic and Arkadiusz Milik, who could be used in a swap involving Mauro Icardi.

    - According to le10sport, Ajax, AC Milan and Lille are among the clubs interested in Barcelona defender Jean-Clair Todibo. The 19-year-old arrived from Toulouse in January.

    - Brescia have offered former Juventus and Italy midfielder Claudio Marchisio a two-year deal, reports Sky Sport Italia and other outlets in the country. Marchisio is a free agent after leaving Zenit and the 33-year-old could be joined at Brescia by Mario Balotelli.

    - Sport claims Barcelona are prepared to sell midfielder Arturo Vidal for €20million as the Chile international continues to be linked to Inter and a reunion with former Juve boss Antonio Conte.

    - According to Corriere dello Sport, Napoli and Juve are the only options for Inter outcast Icardi following Dzeko's Roma renewal.

    - James Rodriguez may not leave Real Madrid following an injury to Eden Hazard, according to reports. James had been tipped to join either Napoli or Atletico Madrid, but the Colombia star is in Madrid's squad for their LaLiga opener at Celta Vigo on Saturday.

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.