Tunisia 0 Nigeria 1: Ighalo secures third place for Super Eagles at the AFCON

By Sports Desk July 17, 2019

Odion Ighalo was gifted an early goal as Nigeria claimed third place in the Africa Cup of Nations with a 1-0 victory over Tunisia.

Aiming to maintain their perfect record in AFCON third-place play-offs, Nigeria were presented with the lead when Tunisia goalkeeper Moez Ben Cherifia and defender Yassine Meriah combined to tee up Ighalo.

Wahbi Khazri looked sharp as Tunisia rallied, and created his side's best chance when he set up Firas Chaouat for what should have been a simple finish early in the second half.

Chaouat could not take advantage, though, and while Ben Cherifia's excellent save from Samuel Chukwueze kept Tunisia's hopes alive, Nigeria had little trouble holding on to their lead.

Nigeria had the lead inside three minutes, Ighalo tucking home after Ben Cherifia and Meriah made a mess of Jamilu Collins' cross.

Tunisia responded well and would have been level had Ferjani Sassi's header not been cleared off the line.

Ighalo's game came to an end at half-time - the former Watford striker appearing to suffer a hamstring injury.

Khazri's superb throughball put Chaouat through on goal a minute into the second half, but with only the goalkeeper to beat, Tunisia's substitute lashed into the side netting.

Chukwueze's long-range strike looked to be creeping in just after the hour, but Ben Cherifia made a superb save at full stretch.

Ghilane Chaalali bundled himself into shooting range as full-time approached, though a weak effort wide of the upright was all he could muster as Tunisia ended their tournament with a whimper.

Related items

  • Hazard reveals he has rejected multiple PSG offers Hazard reveals he has rejected multiple PSG offers

    Real Madrid star Eden Hazard says he has rejected multiple offers from Paris Saint-Germain and would never sign for the Ligue 1 champions.

    The Belgium international claims he has always made it clear he would only return to France's top flight to play for former club Lille, the team he left in 2012 to join Chelsea.

    PSG were linked with a move for Hazard before the completed a switch to Madrid this year for a reported €100million fee.

    "No, never," he told L'Equipe when asked if he would ever join PSG.

    "They've often wanted to sign me. I didn't want to come back to Ligue 1 and with another club to Lille.

    "I always told them no. In my head, it was clear.

    "They're a club who can help you win the Champions League, but they were not in my plans. If I come back to Ligue 1, it will be with Lille."

    Hazard has struggled to make a significant impact in Spain since arriving from Chelsea in June.

    The 28-year-old has scored only once in eight appearances in all competitions and has been accused in some quarters of being overweight.

    Hazard this week denied those suggestions, telling Sky Sports: "For the last month, I've been in good condition with no injuries.

    "I'm in good shape. When I'm on the pitch I will always try to do my best, with Real Madrid or Belgium. I just want to keep this momentum."

    Madrid host Real Sociedad in LaLiga on Saturday before they face PSG in the Champions League at the Santiago Bernabeu next Tuesday.

  • Cuadrado extends Juve contract until 2022 Cuadrado extends Juve contract until 2022

    Winger Juan Cuadrado has signed a two-and-a-half-year contract extension at Juventus, the Serie A champions have confirmed.

    The 31-year-old Colombia international joined Juve initially in August 2015, in the first of two consecutive season-long loans from Chelsea.

    A permanent €20million switch was finally secured ahead of the 2017-18 season.

    Cuadrado has won the Scudetto in each of his four seasons in Serie A, along with three Coppas Italia and a Supercoppa Italiana.

    The former Fiorentina man has 15 goals and 28 assists in Juve colours, although he has generally been more concerned with defensive duties this season.

    Injury problems forced Maurizio Sarri to field Cuadrado as a full-back, and the majority of his 14 appearances in all competitions this term have come on the right-hand side of defence.

    Cuadrado is the second senior member of Juventus' squad to pen fresh terms this week after Italy centre-back Leonardo Bonucci renewed until June 2024.

  • Moreno: Ask Luis Enrique about what happened with Spain Moreno: Ask Luis Enrique about what happened with Spain

    Robert Moreno says Luis Enrique is the person who should be asked about the nature of his return to the Spain job.

    Former Barcelona head coach Luis Enrique has been reappointed as national team boss after taking a leave of absence while his daughter Xana, who passed away in August, battled bone cancer.

    Moreno took charge of nine matches, helping Spain qualify for Euro 2020 before it was confirmed that Luis Enrique would be returning.

    News of the change came as something of a surprise and, despite Moreno previously insisting he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning, he reportedly left the Wanda Metropolitano in tears after learning he was no longer head coach shortly after Spain's 5-0 defeat of Romania.

    There are reports Luis Enrique then said he did not wish Moreno to stay on as his assistant, despite the pair having worked together at Celta Vigo, Roma and Barca before taking up office with Spain.

    However, when asked about those rumours, Moreno told reporters on Thursday: "I don't know, ask him!

    "I think the best thing for both parties is that it stays between us. If the other side speaks, let him speak.

    "I have nothing to say because I don't think it would be good for anyone. Firstly, the one it would not be good for is me, and it allows me at this moment to think about myself."

    Moreno had earlier released a statement in which he said he had "a clear conscience" but wanted to avoid "a spiral of reproaches and justifications for each of the parties".

    Despite criticism over the affair, Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) president Luis Rubiales defended his conduct on Wednesday.

    "It was clear that in the moment that Luis Enrique felt strong to return, the door was always open for him," Rubiales told a media conference. "I have always said that and have always been honest, nobody can feel tricked.

    "We want to thank Robert Moreno for his work, he did very well, and we are very happy with what he did. But Robert Moreno told us he'd spoken with Luis Enrique, who had told him he wanted to return. We found out through Moreno that Luis Enrique wanted to return.

    "We knew Luis Enrique wanted to return but [sporting director Jose Francisco] Molina and I decided not to say anything until after the qualification phase was done.

    "On Sunday, Molina spoke with Robert Moreno, and Robert Moreno said he wanted to know now what is going to happen. Molina told him to wait, but if Luis Enrique wants to return to his job we will consider it.

    "On Monday, we received a message from Robert Moreno, who said he would not stand in the way of Luis Enrique returning.

    "The first person who knew that Luis Enrique wanted to return, even before us at the federation, was Robert Moreno.

    "We have always acted with respect and transparency. And we have kept our word. The federation has acted coherently with everyone. We are loyal to Luis Enrique and the person who occupied his job."

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.