EPL

Solskjaer again calls for patience at Man United: It can't be a quick fix

By Sports Desk July 16, 2019

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer again warned there was no "quick fix" at Manchester United, although the Premier League giants are still hoping for further signings.

United are coming off a sixth-place finish last season, a difficult campaign seeing them end up 32 points adrift of champions and rivals Manchester City.

Daniel James and Aaron Wan-Bissaka have been added to United's squad from Swansea City and Crystal Palace respectively, while the club are linked with numerous other signings – most notably Leicester City defender Harry Maguire – and have the likes of Paul Pogba and Romelu Lukaku potentially exiting.

Solskjaer is still hoping for further additions to his squad, but – as he did earlier in the year – again asked for patience as United look to close the gap to the top.

"I know it's hard getting players in and over the line," the manager said.

"We've been doing our jobs. We've been finding, identifying players. Scouting them. But they have got clubs.

"It took time with Aaron, it took time with Dan, but they got it over the line. It's not like we're going to sign 10 players. It can't be a quick fix.

"As I've said to you, we're working on one or two and we're still hoping but I also understand that the market has changed. Prices have soared."

Sporting CP midfielder Bruno Fernandes, Newcastle United's Sean Longstaff and Lazio's Sergej Milinkovic-Savic have also been linked with the Premier League giants.

United's approach in the transfer market has been criticised at times, but Solskjaer said the club would remain patient.

"We have been linked with so many players. I am sure you don't believe every single player that we have been linked with," he said.

"But I think that Man United sometimes have, because of the wealth, maybe we have had to pay more, a bigger premium to get players in and that's just the world we live in.

"And we have taken our time and we are not going to overpay but we have to get the right people in, the right players."

Manchester United face Leeds United in their second pre-season friendly in Perth on Wednesday.

Related items

  • West Brom 5-1 Swansea City: Baggies back on top after biggest win of Bilic's reign West Brom 5-1 Swansea City: Baggies back on top after biggest win of Bilic's reign

    Matheus Pereira scored one and provided three assists as West Brom moved back above Leeds United to the top of the Championship with a 5-1 thrashing of Swansea City.

    The Baggies recorded their biggest win of the season - and of Slaven Bilic's time in charge - having been set on their way by Semi Ajayi's 25th-minute header.

    Pereira then swept in his fifth goal of the season and though Sam Surridge reduced the deficit by poking in from on the line, Pereira released Hal Robson-Kanu to make it 3-1 before half-time.

    A delicious chip from Pereira led to Matt Phillips heading in a fifth 20 minutes from time and West Brom's Brazilian playmaker also teed up substitute Kyle Edwards to get in on the act in a sixth successive win.

  • Joaquin becomes oldest player to score LaLiga hat-trick Joaquin becomes oldest player to score LaLiga hat-trick

    Real Betis winger Joaquin rolled back the years on Sunday as he became the oldest player to score a hat-trick in LaLiga history.

    The 38-year-old plundered three goals inside the opening 20 minutes in his side's clash with Athletic Bilbao at Estadio Benito Villamarin.

    His treble takes his LaLiga tally for the season to six goals – the same as his total from last season and the most he has scored in a domestic campaign since 2003-04.

    Joaquin – capped 51 times by Spain – started his career at Betis before moving to Valencia in 2006. He then enjoyed spells at Malaga and Fiorentina before returning to Los Verdiblancos in 2015.

  • Man arrested after alleged racist gestures during Manchester derby Man arrested after alleged racist gestures during Manchester derby

    A man has been arrested on suspicion of a "racially aggravated public order" during Saturday's clash between Manchester City and Manchester United, Greater Manchester Police have confirmed.

    During the second half of United's 2-1 win at the Etihad Stadium, the visitors' midfielder Fred appeared to be hit by an object thrown from the crowd as he prepared to take a corner.

    Lighters and a plastic bottle could be seen by the corner flag, while television footage seemed to show a supporter making racist gestures in the direction of Brazil international Fred and his team-mate Jesse Lingard.

    Shortly after full-time, City released a statement saying they were investigating and threatened to issue life bans to any individual found to have committed racial abuse.

    In a statement, Greater Manchester Police said: "A man has been arrested after a video posted on social media showed a supporter making racist gestures at the Manchester City v Manchester United match at the Etihad Stadium yesterday.

    "At around 6.55pm on Saturday 7 December 2019 police were called to a report of a supporter making alleged racist gestures and sounds towards players during the Manchester City and Manchester United derby.

    "A 41-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of a racially aggravated public order and remains in custody for questioning."

    Superintendent Chris Hill of the City of Manchester Division added: "I would like to thank the public for their ongoing support with this incident.

    "Racism of any kind has no place in football or our society and I hope this arrest shows that we are taking this matter extremely seriously.

    "We will continue to work with Manchester City and Manchester United football clubs on this incident and will investigate any other lines of enquiries."
     

© 2018 SportsMaxTV All Rights Reserved.